• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB144 Passes Committee 4-2

Moby

My take on this bill, as set forth in section 26388, makes it a crime to Openly Carry an Unloaded Handgun on Public Lands unless the person carrying that handgun is listed as the registered owner with the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 11106.

Handgun registration has only been required since 1991 and is only required on the sale/transfer of new handguns sold within California. Nothing in the law compelled owners of legally acquired handguns prior to this date (law) to register said handguns. However, if this bill passes, it will require all citizens of the State of California to either register said handguns, if unloaded open carried on public lands or risk arrest.

Based on the proposed bills definitions it would include those people simply removing there lawfully transported and unloaded handgun from its locked container, once on public lands (BLM) and carrying said unloaded weapon from their vehicle to a firing line.

Additionally, this bill will certainly be construed as Unconstitutionally Vague and in short order challenged in court costing the State (California tax payers) to defend such a poorly written law.

In conclusion AB 144 will inadvertently cause citizens, currently in possession of legally owned handguns, to become criminal’s by virtue of the date of purchase.

I would think our legislators, at this time, have more important issues at hand than making criminals of law-abiding citizens.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
My take on this bill, as set forth in section 26388, makes it a crime to Openly Carry an Unloaded Handgun on Public Lands unless the person carrying that handgun is listed as the registered owner with the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 11106.

26388 would read as follows:

26388. Section 26350 does not apply to, or affect, the open
carrying of an unloaded handgun on publicly owned land, if the
possession and use of a handgun is specifically permitted by the
managing agency of the land
and the person carrying that handgun is
listed as the registered owner of that handgun with the Department of
Justice pursuant to Section 11106.

Without "specific permission" by the "managing agency of the land", it is still a misdemeanor to UOC a registered handgun. It becomes a felony if the gun is unregistered (see 26350).

stuckinchico

If this bill fails, I have a feeling there will be a big push by open carriers to be left alone. By this i mean more "protests" more public interaction. Just a shear step up in demanding that our rights get left alone and they dont try this again

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
And I am sure that every single rifle that is carried and filmed by the media will be designated by them and the brady campaign as an "Assault Weapon" because it cant possible be anything else...

I mean we have "Assault Clips" now, coming soon to your neighborhood Assault bore cleaners, Assault holsters, Assualt t shirts, Assault shaving cream, and Assault salt...

They say that timing is everything. Maybe the proper timing of long gun open carry across the state should occur say a week or so BEFORE the vote to ban UOC of handguns. The media message is that our legislature is pushing gun rights advocates into a more "extreme" (offensive) postion by passing this bill.

Firemark

They say that timing is everything. Maybe the proper timing of long gun open carry across the state should occur say a week or so BEFORE the vote to ban UOC of handguns. The media message is that our legislature is pushing gun rights advocates into a more "extreme" (offensive) postion by passing this bill.

Curious why do you think the proper timing is before the vote?

KS_to_CA

So, what is one possible scenario?

1. This bill passes and is signed into law banning UOC in public
2. Can't LOC without CCW
3. Can't carry concealed without CCW
4. Can't obtain CCW
5. Citizens forced to LGOC
6. Legislature bans LGOC
7. 2A infringement
8. 9th circuit decision upholding ban on all firearms (the law may say one can get CCW but not in actual practice)
9. SCOTUS decision saying 2A is severely restricted
10. PRK appeals, and losses
12. PRK goes shall issue, or UOC ban repealed

Sounds like I'll be dead by then...

Firemark

Yea im just trying to see this and think like someone who is on the fence about gun issues. Who maybe sees both sides but is still stuck in the middle about which way to side with.

Cause we all know we are not changing any Brady minds or LCAV minds with anything, our target audience of potential pro gun converts are the wobblers in the middle, and to me they are most influenced by the most extreme demonstration of stupidity that happens first.

LGOC before any vote is just fuel for the fire and the "Gun nut" sterotype. At least thats the way the media will portray it and the Brady campaign will use it in their propoganda scheme...

But if you hold that trump card until after UOC is voted illegal for handguns, then it seems the next logical response to anti gunners actions to curtail American rights... Thats a much better news story and would garner more support from people.

"Civil rights protest forced to LGOC to remain legal protest and preserve 2A rights."

Got to remember, think like a sheeple, thats what we are dealing with, and to them...
guns=evil...until proven otherwise
So carefully thought out demonstrations that make a decisive point are key.

leoffensive

And I am sure that every single rifle that is carried and filmed by the media will be designated by them and the brady campaign as an "Assault Weapon" because it cant possible be anything else...

I mean we have "Assault Clips" now, coming soon to your neighborhood Assault bore cleaners, Assault holsters, Assualt t shirts, Assault shaving cream, and Assault salt...

where can i get some of that assualt salt?

stuckinchico

This law cant pass. Heres my reasoning behind that

Say i m from Alabama. I come to CAli to visit my home. how am i going to be able to defend my self??? CA doesnt accept anyone elses CCW, Cant open carry, hmmmmmmmm Lets see thats no good.

Last edited:

Gundude

:idea: Put some salt on that thing in the back that goes up. Keep some extra salt in the cartridge of bullets.

Last edited:

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Yea im just trying to see this and think like someone who is on the fence about gun issues. Who maybe sees both sides but is still stuck in the middle about which way to side with.

Cause we all know we are not changing any Brady minds or LCAV minds with anything, our target audience of potential pro gun converts are the wobblers in the middle, and to me they are most influenced by the most extreme demonstration of stupidity that happens first.

LGOC before any vote is just fuel for the fire and the "Gun nut" sterotype. At least thats the way the media will portray it and the Brady campaign will use it in their propoganda scheme...

But if you hold that trump card until after UOC is voted illegal for handguns, then it seems the next logical response to anti gunners actions to curtail American rights... Thats a much better news story and would garner more support from people.

"Civil rights protest forced to LGOC to remain legal protest and preserve 2A rights."

Got to remember, think like a sheeple, thats what we are dealing with, and to them...
guns=evil...until proven otherwise
So carefully thought out demonstrations that make a decisive point are key.

The point is to give those who are on the fence a taste of what the UOC ban will force (i.e., long gun open carry). Let them consider: Is it better to have open carry of smaller, less noticeable handguns or is it better to have open carry of 12 ga. black pump shot guns with two full bandoliers of 00 buckshot? I think most people would prefer the less noticeable carry of handguns.

Do it BEFORE the vote to give a chance for the fenceline public to express some concerns about what the bill is forcing.

Robin47

The point is to give those who are on the fence a taste of what the UOC ban will force (i.e., long gun open carry). Let them consider: Is it better to have open carry of smaller, less noticeable handguns or is it better to have open carry of 12 ga. black pump shot guns with two full bandoliers of 00 buckshot? I think most people would prefer the less noticeable carry of handguns.

Do it BEFORE the vote to give a chance for the fenceline public to express some concerns about what the bill is forcing.

I'm not sure it would do any good, It might add fuel to the B-bunch, who have brainwashed the people already.
My question is "Where is Cal-guns" in all this mess ?
Arizona has a real good gun group fighting full time, and putting their own pro-gun bills in to make things even better in AZ.
Nevada is working on making their state a Constitutional Carry state to, from the OC-er there.
I think we need to write our Congressman more and show them these dumb laws PC 12931e ETC.
And demand our rights under the 2A & Constitution.
Go to their local meetings and speak up in front of every body, so there's a clear answer.

There's enough of us here on this forum, to call daily our Reps, and ask what their doing to combat this
type of Infringement on our rights.
I have emailed my Rep, and the reply was hes voting against all these anti-gun bills. We shall see !
We are all over California, and can cover a lot of Reps. Don't let them "Weasel" on it.
We need to be a Pro-Active group, like in Arizona.

Fight the good fight ! Robin47 :)

KS_to_CA

I'm not sure it would do any good, It might add fuel to the B-bunch, who have brainwashed the people already.
My question is "Where is Cal-guns" in all this mess ?
Arizona has a real good gun group fighting full time, and putting their own pro-gun bills in to make things even better in AZ.
Nevada is working on making their state a Constitutional Carry state to, from the OC-er there.
I think we need to write our Congressman more and show them these dumb laws PC 12931e ETC.
And demand our rights under the 2A & Constitution.
Go to their local meetings and speak up in front of every body, so there's a clear answer.

There's enough of us here on this forum, to call daily our Reps, and ask what their doing to combat this
type of Infringement on our rights.
I have emailed my Rep, and the reply was hes voting against all these anti-gun bills. We shall see !
We are all over California, and can cover a lot of Reps. Don't let them "Weasel" on it.
We need to be a Pro-Active group, like in Arizona.

Fight the good fight ! Robin47 :)

We can probably commit to that: anywhere from one phone call a day to one phone call per week depending on how much time one can spare. Sooner or later all these calls will pile up. And let's not call just your own reps because by the time you are on your fourth it won't be effective.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
no stinking bandoliers ....

Bandoliers we need stinking bandoliers

Attachments

• zapata[1].jpg
    zapata[1].jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 56