• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on Private Property, Legal?

Aknazer

My wife and I just closed on our first house and I was wondering if it would be legal for me to OC on my property when I do things like yard work or check the mail. Now the house is in suburbia and so my neighbors will be able to see the gun, so I wanted to make sure this was legal before doing it. Naturally I wouldn't leave the yard while the gun was displayed.

hrdware

IANAL.

There is nothing in Title 60 about firearms and Property. I think this would fall under the same clause that JRBURGII is writing to the AG about. Other than that, seek the advice of a lawyer.

Aknazer

Anyone know of any lawyers I could talk to about it? And should I expect one to charge me for simply asking a question such as this?

livingfreeanne

Did a web search on OC on private property in Oklahoma and this is what I found:

Open or concealed carry of a firearm on privately owned land or inside a residence (such as a backyard, in your own home, or a large farm) is legal for persons 18 years and older who can legally possess firearms, and no permit is required. However, if a disturbance is caused, such carry could be construed as Disturbing the peace by law enforcement. Additionally, brandishing a firearm without good, legal cause (such as self defense, defense of another, or lawful defense of property) is illegal. Carrying a firearm on private property generally requires the consent/permission of the property owner..

Hope this helps

Aknazer

Did a web search on OC on private property in Oklahoma and this is what I found:

Open or concealed carry of a firearm on privately owned land or inside a residence (such as a backyard, in your own home, or a large farm) is legal for persons 18 years and older who can legally possess firearms, and no permit is required. However, if a disturbance is caused, such carry could be construed as Disturbing the peace by law enforcement. Additionally, brandishing a firearm without good, legal cause (such as self defense, defense of another, or lawful defense of property) is illegal. Carrying a firearm on private property generally requires the consent/permission of the property owner..

Hope this helps
Thanks, nice first post, and welcome to OCDO!

Bullbuster

Yes you can OC on private property be if it's your own property or that of family or evern your place of work provided you own the business. For anyone in the OKC area that has been to H&H you can't miss the fact that every single employee there OC's. While I havent been to, and will not, I'm told the folks at Gun World do as well. Can't recall if I have seen the folks at Bass Pro in the gun section OC'ing. I have several friends that OC on their farms and while at home.

Its once you step onto PUBLIC Property that you can't or property inwhich the owner says NO.

Aknazer

I've been to gun world (i bought my first two guns there :banghead: ) and they do indeed oc. Now that I know their prices are 30-100% higher than what you can find elsewhere i don't buy anything from there anymore, but I still use their range ($15) and the people are friendly. Out of curiosity why won't you go there.

JBURGII

IANAL.

There is nothing in Title 60 about firearms and Property. I think this would fall under the same clause that JRBURGII is writing to the AG about. Other than that, seek the advice of a lawyer.

I have the Oklahoma Self Defense Act printout right here and find nothing to prevent a person from carrying on private property barring the obvious definitions of reckless conduct (brandishing, pointing at a person without cause, furnishing a prohibited or incompetent person, etc.).

I am reading this beast from cover to cover and just finished watching the ex parte videos from the committee meeting.. (ug)..

Bullbuster

I've been to gun world (i bought my first two guns there :banghead: ) and they do indeed oc. Now that I know their prices are 30-100% higher than what you can find elsewhere i don't buy anything from there anymore, but I still use their range ($15) and the people are friendly. Out of curiosity why won't you go there.

Well for the same reason you won't buy another firearm from them. Thay are WAY overpriced and 8 of 10 people I know (hang out with) that have been there won't go back as they had been treated bad. Many reviews of the store are chalked full of bad comments about how they treated customers. I live around the corner from Gunworld yet I'd rather drive to H&H or to the outdoor range in Yukon than be looked down upon or treated as if I know nothing compaired to them. I may not know everything there is to know about guns but I certainly ain't no slouch.

You found out the hard way about the prices but you mentioned they treat you well and thats great but it doesn't seem to be the norm for many so I don't even waste my time.

KBCraig

Well for the same reason you won't buy another firearm from them. Thay are WAY overpriced and 8 of 10 people I know (hang out with) that have been there won't go back as they had been treated bad. Many reviews of the store are chalked full of bad comments about how they treated customers. I live around the corner from Gunworld yet I'd rather drive to H&H or to the outdoor range in Yukon than be looked down upon or treated as if I know nothing compaired to them. I may not know everything there is to know about guns but I certainly ain't no slouch.

You found out the hard way about the prices but you mentioned they treat you well and thats great but it doesn't seem to be the norm for many so I don't even waste my time.

What about the place in Wheatland, on S. Council Road? It's been a few years since I was there, but they seemed like a good shop.

JR65

Is there any way to get private businesses (starting with, say, gunstores) to post signs allowing people to open carry on their property? They could post something like a simple flag or poster notifying that OC is OK with the property owner. Maybe the idea would spread? It would definitely send a message to the tools with suits and badges.

Thoughts?

By the way, OC is specifically banned in the SDA, IMO in TITLE 21 § 1272 paragraph A This doesn't apply to private property, of course.

Aknazer

Is there any way to get private businesses (starting with, say, gunstores) to post signs allowing people to open carry on their property? They could post something like a simple flag or poster notifying that OC is OK with the property owner. Maybe the idea would spread? It would definitely send a message to the tools with suits and badges.

Thoughts?

By the way, OC is specifically banned in the SDA, IMO in TITLE 21 § 1272 paragraph A This doesn't apply to private property, of course.

Read this thread to understand that OC isn't banned in all situations. It's 1289.6 that outlines the lawful carrying of a weapon in the open (both loaded and unloaded), and that thread covers how thanks to bullet 6 under paragraph A that OC might already be legal.