• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Todays SB 234 Passed

~*'Phoenix'*~

How hard will this be to deliver to the rules committee. I see it says “if received” on the rules committee’s agenda for Friday. Any idea on how the rules committee’s members are likely to vote. I see they are mostly Republicans which doesn’t mean much to me.

Dan
These are the one's who already voted on it before, and/or are co-sponsors:
Senator John Thrasher (R) yes
Senator JD Alexander (R)
Senator Larcenia J. Bullard (D) (plan on no - collects "butterfly shaped objects")
Senator Anitere Flores (R) yes
Senator Don Gaetz (R) yes
Senator Andy Gardiner (R)
Senator Dennis L. Jones, D.C. (R)
Senator Gwen Margolis (D) no
Senator Joe Negron (R)
Senator Garrett Richter (R) yes
Senator Gary Siplin (D) (plan on no - NAACP)
Senator Christopher L. "Chris" Smith (D) no
Senator Stephen R. Wise (R)

Now I'll admit, I think butterflies are cool too, and the NAACP has (or was it the ACLU?) stood up for some black dude's right to own a gun or something like that, but generally can't but feel that senators sharing this stuff on their senator profiles aren't going to be interested in helping pass open carry...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
The people on the Rules committee and their emails, and how they voted if they were sitting on a previous committee:

Already voted in a previous committee said:
Senator John Thrasher (R) - YES - thrasher.john.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Anitere Flores (R) - YES - flores.anitere.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Don Gaetz (R) - YES - gaetz.don.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Garrett Richter (R) - YES - richter.garrett.web@flsenate.gov

Senator Gwen Margolis (D) - NO - margolis.gwen.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Christopher L. "Chris" Smith (D) - NO - smith.chris.web@flsenate.gov

Have not voted on it yet said:
Senator JD Alexander (R) - alexander.jd.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Andy Gardiner (R) - gardiner.andy.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Dennis L. Jones, D.C. (R) - jones.dennis.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Joe Negron (R) - negron.joe.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Stephen R. Wise (R) - wise.stephen.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Gary Siplin (D) - Probably a NO - siplin.gary.web@flsenate.gov
Senator Larcenia J. Bullard (D) - Probably a NO - bullard.larcenia.web@flsenate.gov
We need 7. Presuming the 4 who already put a yes on it still vote yes this time, we only need 3 more to go yes. I think this is probable. We have 5 who might, and we only need 3 of them.

I am not a fan of form letters. I like each message they receive to be from a different person, and with their own points/views. I'm not discouraging form letters, they work for lazy people who might otherwise not send a message. ;-)

[this message is a work in progress]

Last edited:

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
These are the one's who already voted on it before, and/or are co-sponsors:
Senator John Thrasher (R) yes
Senator JD Alexander (R)
Senator Larcenia J. Bullard (D) (plan on no - collects "butterfly shaped objects")
Senator Anitere Flores (R) yes
Senator Don Gaetz (R) yes
Senator Andy Gardiner (R)
Senator Dennis L. Jones, D.C. (R)
Senator Gwen Margolis (D) no
Senator Joe Negron (R)
Senator Garrett Richter (R) yes
Senator Gary Siplin (D) (plan on no - NAACP)
Senator Christopher L. "Chris" Smith (D) no
Senator Stephen R. Wise (R)

Now I'll admit, I think butterflies are cool too, and the NAACP has (or was it the ACLU?) stood up for some black dude's right to own a gun or something like that, but generally can't but feel that senators sharing this stuff on their senator profiles aren't going to be interested in helping pass open carry...

Maybe we could convince her OC increases the butterfly population?

At the very least no one would be able to see the beautiful butterfly artwork on a leather holster?

A damn shame I tell ya.

nigmalg

I have no idea how they're going to reach this illusive "compromise". It's we either have generalized open carry or we don't, that's priority #1 of the bill. If we don't have generalized open carry, the bill had failed.

I believe it was Simmons who said that the OC killing amendment "was good in theory" but needed some "changes". This doesn't fly. The sheriff's department wasn't ok with Level II retention holsters and the displaying of a badge.

What on earth will they be OK with?

I don't like the looks of this in the Senate at all. I will keep doing everything I can to support it, but I believe the police organizations have way too much weight here. Too many self proclaimed "important people" want it dead.. it may just die in a back room where nobody takes responsibility.

Last edited:

77zach

I have no idea how they're going to reach this illusive "compromise". It's we either have generalized open carry or we don't, that's priority #1 of the bill. If we don't have generalized open carry, the bill had failed.

I believe it was Simmons who said that the OC killing amendment "was good in theory" but needed some "changes". This doesn't fly. The sheriff's department wasn't ok with Level II retention holsters and the displaying of a badge.

What on earth will they be OK with?

I don't like the looks of this in the Senate at all. I will keep doing everything I can to support it, but I believe the police organizations have way too much weight here. Too many self proclaimed "important people" want it dead.. it may just die in a back room where nobody takes responsibility.

I hear you, and I haven't popped the champagne yet..But, don't mistake what is said in committee with what people are actually thinking/going to do. We're in a good position now.

77zach

Then we need 2 more.

If I were to bet I'd say JD Alexander is "Yea". That leaves 1 more. Wise is a neocon "drug warrior", but I have family who want to throw pot smokers in jail but would enthusiastically support OC. We all know people like that.

At least we only have to wait until Friday to find out.