• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encountered a ranger on Twin Falls trail

Trigger Dr

Unless you have one of these with you

Burlap%20Bag%201075x5x4.jpg

I would rather shoot myself

iampam

Park rangers are limited authority peace officers similar to a corrections officer in authority. At least that was the case the last time I checked. I believe in you look under title 10 of the RCW you may find your answer.

They're limited authority in the sense that they only have authority within State Parks property. They have full authority within the State Parks.

To the OP, that's great that you met such a supportive Ranger. IMO the agency doesn't always do a very good job of making sure the staff are properly informed about open carry laws, but all of the Rangers _should_ know.

DevinWKuska

Heck I got questioned the heck out of when I went hiking with friends in Olympic National Park with my sidearm. One of us pointed out that it could come in handy in case of a bear attack, and the ranger said "Oh our bears aren't like that."

*facepalm*

I'll have to check out where you're hiking, sounds like they have some common sense.

Maybe their Bears are the Democrat Bears from Wyoming?

democrat bear.jpg

In which case your very presence while OCing will send it running screaming there are crazies in the forest.