• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encountered a ranger on Twin Falls trail

Aaron1124

My wife, daughter and myself (along with out dog) went on a hike up at Twin Falls State Park. On our way back down the trail, we encountered the park ranger, who was on his way up, doing his foot patrol. He saw my sidearm, and just said "smart man. Stay safe guys." and kept walking.

Just thought I'd share it, as I thought it was pretty cool.

Got me thinking. Are Park Rangers commissioned officers in the entire state, similar to how other officers? Or are they just commissioned on state parks property?

tony d tiger

State Park Ranger is equivelant to State Patrol in authority... but only in the park grounds... if that's what you were asking.
IOW their authority does not extend beyond state park boundries.

...'course, that is conjectural, as I have had several discussions with State Park Rangers about it - never researched it, so no cite. *shrug*

So I went looking, and found this:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Bill Reports/House/1321 HBA PSEP 11.pdf

so maybe it is changed.

jt59

State Park Ranger is equivelant to State Patrol in authority... but only in the park grounds... if that's what you were asking.
IOW their authority does not extend beyond state park boundries.

...'course, that is conjectural, as I have had several discussions with State Park Rangers about it - never researched it, so no cite. *shrug*

So I went looking, and found this:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Bill Reports/House/1321 HBA PSEP 11.pdf

so maybe it is changed.

Nope,

It died in committee

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1321&year=2011

.45ACPaddy

Heck I got questioned the heck out of when I went hiking with friends in Olympic National Park with my sidearm. One of us pointed out that it could come in handy in case of a bear attack, and the ranger said "Oh our bears aren't like that."

*facepalm*

I'll have to check out where you're hiking, sounds like they have some common sense.

amlevin

They must have very friendly grizzlies.

Nah, just "Blackies" which are the smaller of the bears. When I used to hike in the Olympics all you'd see, for the most part, was their scat. If they heard you coming they took off and hid. You might see one across a meadow or open area but encountering one on the trail was rare. Cougar's, on the other hand are more dangerous in the ONP and I don't mean the ones from Wazoo.

Trigger Dr

Nah, just "Blackies" which are the smaller of the bears. When I used to hike in the Olympics all you'd see, for the most part, was their scat. If they heard you coming they took off and hid. You might see one across a meadow or open area but encountering one on the trail was rare. Cougar's, on the other hand are more dangerous in the ONP and I don't mean the ones from Wazoo.

I met a VERY friendly Cougar at the ball game the other day.

amlevin

I met a VERY friendly Cougar at the ball game the other day.

The one on the right or left?

story.jpg

jt59

YoungSoldier

Park rangers are limited authority peace officers similar to a corrections officer in authority. At least that was the case the last time I checked. I believe in you look under title 10 of the RCW you may find your answer.