Thread: Open Carry in Different States

Question Open Carry in Different States

I was curious to find out if it is legal to open carry in a state where you are not a resident as long as that state has an open carry law. Especially concerned with the (in-car) portion of each states law.I live in Oregon, an open carry state, I will be taking a trip through Nevada-Utah-and Colorado. I was wondering since these are all open carry states except for Utah where you have to be a license holder to open carry. I believe in protecting myself and wife. I believe in Freedom and the 2nd amendment. I don't think states like Utah should restrict open carry to license carriers but that is where the cookie crumbled. Anyway, Any factual comments would be appreciated.

I suggest you post on the individual state forums. You are more likely to find individuals who can direct you to the correct information.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    I suggest you post on the individual state forums. You are more likely to find individuals who can direct you to the correct information.
    Not necessary to post on each state forum.

You can get the basic info on each state through this interactive OCDO map:
    http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Banned
    The general principle is that you must follow the laws of the State you are in.

Last year I OCed full time when I was in WA, OR, ID, MT, UT, NV, AR, CO & WY. I just made sure I knew the laws in each state I was in. No problems I might add.

OC'ing in Nevada, you'd have two restrictions:

1. Posted Public Buildings that are part of the Nevada government.

2. Schools, including universities.

Of course, if a private business asks you to leave you would have to or face a trespass charge. North Las Vegas and Boulder city both have unenforceable laws still on the books and you may run into cops from there that will give you a bad time. Most of Nevada is OC/CC friendly.

open carry in different states

Thanks for the info I was curious and you settled my concerns. I'm glad I joined the forum. Thanks again

Activist Member
    In Nevada, handguns can have a loaded chamber in a vehicle, but long guns cannot have a loaded chamber while in a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Loneviking View Post
    OC'ing in Nevada, you'd have two restrictions:

1. Posted Public Buildings that are part of the Nevada government.

2. Schools, including universities.

Of course, if a private business asks you to leave you would have to or face a trespass charge. North Las Vegas and Boulder city both have unenforceable laws still on the books and you may run into cops from there that will give you a bad time. Most of Nevada is OC/CC friendly.
    Same for Colorado, except you cannot OC in Denver (county/city).
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. They both protect the rest, but only if you exercise them both.

Nothing in this post is to be misconstrued as "advice" of any kind. It is merely my opinion.

Arizona: Carry what you will (loaded) in whatever manner you choose if 21 or over (responsibly) wherever not otherwise posted 'No Firearms'. 18 yrs to carry OC but not CC. We don' need no steenkin' permits!
    Last edited by Sonora Rebel; 04-14-2011 at 03:03 PM.

As stated, know the "where you can and cannot carry" within the state, but no open carry state has a restriction that I CAN FIND restricting out of state open carriers. I.e. no residency requirements to Open Carry. I've open carried in three states that I am not a resident in. Same looks as in my home state, but no LE interaction. Besides, unless the PC, or RAS, or another reason, why would they even know you are from out of state...?
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

There is no OC in Florida at all. Well; except for on private property, camping, hiking. fishing, at the range or going to and from those locations.
    Last edited by Mjodr; 05-24-2011 at 10:55 PM.

I don't live in UT anymore so I'm not 100% positive, but I believe you're able to OC in UT w/o a permit, but with restrictions. Those restrictions being that the gun has to be two operations away from firing and I believe that simply means you can have a loaded mag in the gun but can't have one in the chamber (putting a round into the chamber and then pulling the trigger would be the two actions).

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
    As stated, know the "where you can and cannot carry" within the state, but no open carry state has a restriction that I CAN FIND restricting out of state open carriers. I.e. no residency requirements to Open Carry. I've open carried in three states that I am not a resident in. Same looks as in my home state, but no LE interaction. Besides, unless the PC, or RAS, or another reason, why would they even know you are from out of state...?
    The new Wyoming law is about as close as I know of, but that only applies to concealed carry without a permit. The new Wyoming law says that a person can conceal carry without a license if they meet the requirements for the Wyoming permit. One of the requirements for the Wyoming permit is to be a resident of Wyoming. So that means a non-resident cannot conceal carry in Wyoming without a recognized permit. Of course, nobody will know or likely care.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    The new Wyoming law is about as close as I know of, but that only applies to concealed carry without a permit. The new Wyoming law says that a person can conceal carry without a license if they meet the requirements for the Wyoming permit. One of the requirements for the Wyoming permit is to be a resident of Wyoming. So that means a non-resident cannot conceal carry in Wyoming without a recognized permit. Of course, nobody will know or likely care.
    Covers most Wyomans.

Not much else.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. They both protect the rest, but only if you exercise them both.

Nothing in this post is to be misconstrued as "advice" of any kind. It is merely my opinion.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    I don't live in UT anymore so I'm not 100% positive, but I believe you're able to OC in UT w/o a permit, but with restrictions. Those restrictions being that the gun has to be two operations away from firing and I believe that simply means you can have a loaded mag in the gun but can't have one in the chamber (putting a round into the chamber and then pulling the trigger would be the two actions).
    This is basically correct, however, the Utah law is written slightly differently. IF you hold a UT CCW (or CFP, as they call it here in UT) you may carry your handgun in condition one - locked and loaded - whether CC or OC. The biggest difference between CC and OC in UT seems to be that if you do not have a UT CFP, or one recognized by the state of UT, your handgun cannot lawfully be carried concealed, or in such a condition that it "may be discharged through any single mechanical action". This translates (in my mind anyway) as an 'empty chamber' for autoloaders, and an 'empty cylinder in the first firing position to fall under the hammer' for revolvers. A UT CFP holder does not have those restrictions. The other more-or-less "universal" restrictions (airport, courthouse, posted, etc.) still apply to all.
    Last edited by Gil223; 01-05-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add to

Post Open Carry - The Vote is Forty One to Nine

As I see it (on the OC.org map), there are only nine states that either ban or severely restrict the open carry of handguns by citizens not specifically barred by law from possession of any firearm. That means that forty one states allow OC. Of those 41 states, 30 states honor the Utah CFP (and even a few more than that honor the Florida CCW). It looks as if we are making some headway toward total reciprocity. Don't be surprised though if - when we get really close to total reciprocity - the feds decide to issue a mandatory Federal CC Permit. Such a move would ostensibly be designed to provide the government with additional revenues while, in reality, it would provide them with a list of responsible handgun owners. And how many 'enthusiasts' own just a single firearm? Personally, I have (undisclosed number of) firearms, of various shapes, sizes, calibers and manufacturers. I enjoy them from both a practical standpoint and an aesthetic one. Could a Federal CCW Permit be a road-map for firearms confiscation? Quite possibly. Or, it could be nothing more than a Federal Permit. How good is the word of our government? Ask a Native American...

Quote Originally Posted by hilldemon2512 View Post
    I was curious to find out if it is legal to open carry in a state where you are not a resident as long as that state has an open carry law. Especially concerned with the (in-car) portion of each states law.I live in Oregon, an open carry state, I will be taking a trip through Nevada-Utah-and Colorado. I was wondering since these are all open carry states except for Utah where you have to be a license holder to open carry. I believe in protecting myself and wife. I believe in Freedom and the 2nd amendment. I don't think states like Utah should restrict open carry to license carriers but that is where the cookie crumbled. Anyway, Any factual comments would be appreciated.

But most states do not have laws regarding OC, and laws are only written to list what is not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    As I see it (on the OC.org map), there are only nine states that either ban or severely restrict the open carry of handguns by citizens not specifically barred by law from possession of any firearm. That means that forty one states allow OC. Of those 41 states, 30 states honor the Utah CFP (and even a few more than that honor the Florida CCW). It looks as if we are making some headway toward total reciprocity. Don't be surprised though if - when we get really close to total reciprocity - the feds decide to issue a mandatory Federal CC Permit. Such a move would ostensibly be designed to provide the government with additional revenues while, in reality, it would provide them with a list of responsible handgun owners. And how many 'enthusiasts' own just a single firearm? Personally, I have (undisclosed number of) firearms, of various shapes, sizes, calibers and manufacturers. I enjoy them from both a practical standpoint and an aesthetic one. Could a Federal CCW Permit be a road-map for firearms confiscation? Quite possibly. Or, it could be nothing more than a Federal Permit. How good is the word of our government? Ask a Native American...
    Why are you even bringing up permits of CC? Permits for CC have nothing to do with OC.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    But most states do not have laws regarding OC, and laws are only written to list what is not legal.

Why are you even bringing up permits of CC? Permits for CC have nothing to do with OC.

stay safe.
    Oooops... MY BAD! Re-reading the post, I see your point (I also belong to a CC board, and apparently I let one thing inadvertently influence the other [unrelated] one). I certainly didn't intend to upset or offend anybody... just had a "senior moment"!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    <... snip to relevant portion> That means that forty one states allow OC. Of those 41 states, 30 states honor the Utah CFP (and even a few more than that honor the Florida CCW). It looks as if we are making some headway toward total reciprocity.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

stay safe.
    But, but, but, Skid, bro, we all KNOW that CC is just a stepping stone to OC and should be partially relevant in the light of full disclosure

Or, look at it this way, CC is the proverbial "toe in the door" and OC is the fully open door
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Another caveat - stay 1,000' away from K-12 schools! Colorado Springs is very pro-open carry, but it's a bit of a minefield as schools are spread fairly evenly throughout the city.