• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Different States

hilldemon2512

I was curious to find out if it is legal to open carry in a state where you are not a resident as long as that state has an open carry law. Especially concerned with the (in-car) portion of each states law.I live in Oregon, an open carry state, I will be taking a trip through Nevada-Utah-and Colorado. I was wondering since these are all open carry states except for Utah where you have to be a license holder to open carry. I believe in protecting myself and wife. I believe in Freedom and the 2nd amendment. I don't think states like Utah should restrict open carry to license carriers but that is where the cookie crumbled. Anyway, Any factual comments would be appreciated.

OldCurlyWolf

I suggest you post on the individual state forums. You are more likely to find individuals who can direct you to the correct information.

Jeff Hayes

Last year I OCed full time when I was in WA, OR, ID, MT, UT, NV, AR, CO & WY. I just made sure I knew the laws in each state I was in. No problems I might add.

Loneviking

OC'ing in Nevada, you'd have two restrictions:

1. Posted Public Buildings that are part of the Nevada government.

2. Schools, including universities.

Of course, if a private business asks you to leave you would have to or face a trespass charge. North Las Vegas and Boulder city both have unenforceable laws still on the books and you may run into cops from there that will give you a bad time. Most of Nevada is OC/CC friendly.

hilldemon2512

open carry in different states

Thanks for the info I was curious and you settled my concerns. I'm glad I joined the forum. Thanks again

since9

Campaign Veteran
OC'ing in Nevada, you'd have two restrictions:

1. Posted Public Buildings that are part of the Nevada government.

2. Schools, including universities.

Of course, if a private business asks you to leave you would have to or face a trespass charge. North Las Vegas and Boulder city both have unenforceable laws still on the books and you may run into cops from there that will give you a bad time. Most of Nevada is OC/CC friendly.

Same for Colorado, except you cannot OC in Denver (county/city).

Sonora Rebel

Arizona: Carry what you will (loaded) in whatever manner you choose if 21 or over (responsibly) wherever not otherwise posted 'No Firearms'. 18 yrs to carry OC but not CC. We don' need no steenkin' permits!

Last edited:

Red Dawg

As stated, know the "where you can and cannot carry" within the state, but no open carry state has a restriction that I CAN FIND restricting out of state open carriers. I.e. no residency requirements to Open Carry. I've open carried in three states that I am not a resident in. Same looks as in my home state, but no LE interaction. Besides, unless the PC, or RAS, or another reason, why would they even know you are from out of state...?

Aknazer

I don't live in UT anymore so I'm not 100% positive, but I believe you're able to OC in UT w/o a permit, but with restrictions. Those restrictions being that the gun has to be two operations away from firing and I believe that simply means you can have a loaded mag in the gun but can't have one in the chamber (putting a round into the chamber and then pulling the trigger would be the two actions).

since9

Campaign Veteran
The new Wyoming law is about as close as I know of, but that only applies to concealed carry without a permit. The new Wyoming law says that a person can conceal carry without a license if they meet the requirements for the Wyoming permit. One of the requirements for the Wyoming permit is to be a resident of Wyoming. So that means a non-resident cannot conceal carry in Wyoming without a recognized permit. Of course, nobody will know or likely care.

Covers most Wyomans.

Not much else.

Gil223

I don't live in UT anymore so I'm not 100% positive, but I believe you're able to OC in UT w/o a permit, but with restrictions. Those restrictions being that the gun has to be two operations away from firing and I believe that simply means you can have a loaded mag in the gun but can't have one in the chamber (putting a round into the chamber and then pulling the trigger would be the two actions).

This is basically correct, however, the Utah law is written slightly differently. IF you hold a UT CCW (or CFP, as they call it here in UT) you may carry your handgun in condition one - locked and loaded - whether CC or OC. The biggest difference between CC and OC in UT seems to be that :idea: if you do not have a UT CFP, or one recognized by the state of UT, your handgun cannot lawfully be carried concealed, or in such a condition that it "may be discharged through any single mechanical action". This translates (in my mind anyway) as an 'empty chamber' for autoloaders, and an 'empty cylinder in the first firing position to fall under the hammer' for revolvers. A UT CFP holder does not have those restrictions. The other more-or-less "universal" restrictions (airport, courthouse, posted, etc.) still apply to all.

Last edited:

Gil223

Open Carry - The Vote is Forty One to Nine

As I see it (on the OC.org map), there are only nine states that either ban or severely restrict the open carry of handguns by citizens not specifically barred by law from possession of any firearm. That means that forty one states allow OC. Of those 41 states, 30 states honor the Utah CFP (and even a few more than that honor the Florida CCW). It looks as if we are making some headway toward total reciprocity. Don't be surprised though if - when we get really close to total reciprocity - the feds decide to issue a mandatory Federal CC Permit. Such a move would ostensibly be designed to provide the government with additional revenues while, in reality, it would provide them with a list of responsible handgun owners. And how many 'enthusiasts' own just a single firearm? Personally, I have (undisclosed number of) firearms, of various shapes, sizes, calibers and manufacturers. I enjoy them from both a practical standpoint and an aesthetic one. Could a Federal CCW Permit be a road-map for firearms confiscation? Quite possibly. Or, it could be nothing more than a Federal Permit. How good is the word of our government? Ask a Native American... ;)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I was curious to find out if it is legal to open carry in a state where you are not a resident as long as that state has an open carry law. Especially concerned with the (in-car) portion of each states law.I live in Oregon, an open carry state, I will be taking a trip through Nevada-Utah-and Colorado. I was wondering since these are all open carry states except for Utah where you have to be a license holder to open carry. I believe in protecting myself and wife. I believe in Freedom and the 2nd amendment. I don't think states like Utah should restrict open carry to license carriers but that is where the cookie crumbled. Anyway, Any factual comments would be appreciated.

But most states do not have laws regarding OC, and laws are only written to list what is not legal.

As I see it (on the OC.org map), there are only nine states that either ban or severely restrict the open carry of handguns by citizens not specifically barred by law from possession of any firearm. That means that forty one states allow OC. Of those 41 states, 30 states honor the Utah CFP (and even a few more than that honor the Florida CCW). It looks as if we are making some headway toward total reciprocity. Don't be surprised though if - when we get really close to total reciprocity - the feds decide to issue a mandatory Federal CC Permit. Such a move would ostensibly be designed to provide the government with additional revenues while, in reality, it would provide them with a list of responsible handgun owners. And how many 'enthusiasts' own just a single firearm? Personally, I have (undisclosed number of) firearms, of various shapes, sizes, calibers and manufacturers. I enjoy them from both a practical standpoint and an aesthetic one. Could a Federal CCW Permit be a road-map for firearms confiscation? Quite possibly. Or, it could be nothing more than a Federal Permit. How good is the word of our government? Ask a Native American... ;)

Why are you even bringing up permits of CC? Permits for CC have nothing to do with OC.:banghead:

stay safe.

Gil223

But most states do not have laws regarding OC, and laws are only written to list what is not legal.

Why are you even bringing up permits of CC? Permits for CC have nothing to do with OC.:banghead:

stay safe.

Oooops... MY BAD! Re-reading the post, I see your point (I also belong to a CC board, and apparently I let one thing inadvertently influence the other [unrelated] one). I certainly didn't intend to upset or offend anybody... just had a "senior moment"! ;)

okboomer

<... snip to relevant portion> That means that forty one states allow OC. Of those 41 states, 30 states honor the Utah CFP (and even a few more than that honor the Florida CCW). It looks as if we are making some headway toward total reciprocity.

stay safe.

But, but, but, Skid, bro, we all KNOW that CC is just a stepping stone to OC and should be partially relevant in the light of full disclosure :cool:

Or, look at it this way, CC is the proverbial "toe in the door" and OC is the fully open door :lol:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Another caveat - stay 1,000' away from K-12 schools! Colorado Springs is very pro-open carry, but it's a bit of a minefield as schools are spread fairly evenly throughout the city.