• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What I said to the Maplewood City Council

mspgunner

I have no doubt the Maplewood City Council voted to prohibit OC, myself and others left before the vote, it was to be last. The comments by the Mayor very much did not favor OC, he was an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is what I said in my 3 minutes:
The 1st Amendment gives us the right of freedom of speech, freedom of the press. Yet you cannot yell fire in a theater. The 1st amendment gives us freedom of religion but we cannot kill innocent men women and children in the name of God. The 2nd amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms. But you cannot use a firearm in a threatening manner, you cannot point a firearm at someone. For over 125 years according to Article 1 Section 23 of the Missouri Constitution you can carry a firearm exposed in a holster in the State of Missouri and The City of Mapelwood. We have one incident by one person who was within his rights and The City of Maplewood wants to change that? The legislature here in Missouri made it the law and the Supreme Court here and in the US Supreme Court up held those laws.
As of December 11th 2010 The following Cities in STL CO. allow open carry:
Ballwin, Black Jack, Brentwood, Bridgeton, Charlack, Crestwood, Dellwod, Des Peres, Eureka, Ferguson, Frontenac, Green Park, Hazelwood, Huntingleigh, Jennings, Kirkwood, Ladue, Maplewood, Maryland Heights, Pacific, Richmond Heights, Rock Hill, Sunset Hills, Warson Woods, Westwood, Woodson Terrace.
An alternative, perhaps an amendment to your proposed ordinance might follow the lead of the following St. Louis County Cities.
The following Cities allow open carry for people with a valid CCW permit: Berkley, Clayton, Creve Coeur, Ellisville, Florissant, Manchester, Northwoods, Olivette, Vinita Park, Webster Groves.
The Missouri Statutes state an individual in possession of a concealed firearm confronted by a law enforcement officer who requests to inspect their CCW permit must present that permit to the officer. Modification of the proposed ordinance to allow open carry with a CCW may well resolve the issue of identification when a request is made by police.
While the past incident brought about negative publicity for Maplewood, open carry remains the legal right of Missouri citizens, and has perhaps grown in popularity in recent years. Since the drafting of the Missouri Constitution in the early 1800’s and the founding of Maplewood in the late 1800’s open carry has been legal under article 1 section 23 in the State of Missouri. It simply has not been an issue.
Please consider a delay for modification of this ordinance to allowing those with a valid CCW to open carry. This would put the city of Maplewood in line with many Cities within St. Louis County.
Total prohibition to open carry means you can be arrested for simply placing your hunting rifle in or out of your vehicle, or if you are in possession of a Conceal Carry Permit and your firearm is simply seen, due to wind, riding a bicycle or a flip of a shirt or leaning over the trunk of a vehicle you can go to jail.
Over 125,000 Missouri permits and perhaps 75,000 here with other state permits.
Please consider carefully before placing additional infringements on the second amendment for the people of Missouri here in Maplewood. The second amendment of the Bill of Rights, is as basic a freedom to Americans as freedom of the press or freedom of religion, please do not “infringe” on our 2nd amendment rights.

HERE IS THE "STORY":
http://maplewood-brentwood.patch.co...il-votes-to-ban-open-carry-after-gun-incident

Last edited:

kcgunfan

I have no doubt the Maplewood City Council voted to prohibit OC, myself and others left before the vote, it was to be last. The comments by the Mayor very much did not favor OC, he was an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1st Amendment gives us the right of freedom of speech, freedom of the press. Yet you cannot yell fire in a theater. The 1st amendment gives us freedom of religion but we cannot kill innocent men women and children in the name of God. The 2nd amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms. But you cannot use a firearm in a threatening manner, you cannot point a firearm at someone. For over 125 years according to Article 1 Section 23 of the Missouri Constitution you can carry a firearm exposed in a holster in the State of Missouri and The City of Mapelwood. We have one incident by one person who was within his rights and The City of Maplewood wants to change that? The legislature here in Missouri made it the law and the Supreme Court here and in the US Supreme Court up held those laws.
Ballwin, Black Jack, Brentwood, Bridgeton, Charlack, Crestwood, Dellwod, Des Peres, Eureka, Ferguson, Frontenac, Green Park, Hazelwood, Huntingleigh, Jennings, Kirkwood, Ladue, Maplewood, Maryland Heights, Pacific, Richmond Heights, Rock Hill, Sunset Hills, Warson Woods, Westwood, Woodson Terrace.
An alternative, perhaps an amendment to your proposed ordinance might follow the lead of the following St. Louis County Cities.
The following Cities allow open carry for people with a valid CCW permit: Berkley, Clayton, Creve Coeur, Ellisville, Florissant, Manchester, Northwoods, Olivette, Vinita Park, Webster Groves.
The Missouri Statutes state an individual in possession of a concealed firearm confronted by a law enforcement officer who requests to inspect their CCW permit must present that permit to the officer. Modification of the proposed ordinance to allow open carry with a CCW may well resolve the issue of identification when a request is made by police.
While the past incident brought about negative publicity for Maplewood, open carry remains the legal right of Missouri citizens, and has perhaps grown in popularity in recent years. Since the drafting of the Missouri Constitution in the early 1800’s and the founding of Maplewood in the late 1800’s open carry has been legal under article 1 section 23 in the State of Missouri. It simply has not been an issue.
Please consider a delay for modification of this ordinance to allowing those with a valid CCW to open carry. This would put the city of Maplewood in line with many Cities within St. Louis County.
Total prohibition to open carry means you can be arrested for simply placing your hunting rifle in or out of your vehicle, or if you are in possession of a Conceal Carry Permit and your firearm is simply seen, due to wind, riding a bicycle or a flip of a shirt or leaning over the trunk of a vehicle you can go to jail.
Please consider carefully before placing additional infringements on the second amendment for the people of Missouri here in Maplewood. The second amendment of the Bill of Rights, is as basic a freedom to Americans as freedom of the press or freedom of religion, please do not “infringe” on our 2nd amendment rights.

HERE IS THE "STORY":
http://maplewood-brentwood.patch.co...il-votes-to-ban-open-carry-after-gun-incident

I really liked your speech. Unfortunately, you were limited to 3 minutes, which would have made it hard to add anything else. Thanks for standing up for our rights, and taking time out of your schedule. I appreciate what you tried to do.

Article1section23

HERE IS THE "STORY":

mspgunner,

Remember, the bill of rights doesn't give us anything....it enshrines a preexisted right, both the 1st and the 2nd. Missouri was granted state hood in 1820, not sure why you said 125 years? I can't believe you asked them to allow OC for those with permits.

Glad to see you at least had the chance to go talk and have your say.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The state very much needs to totally preempt the local municipalities regarding RKBA.

Until that is accomplished, honest citizens will become criminals simply by stepping over the invisible lines.

mspgunner

mspgunner,

Remember, the bill of rights doesn't give us anything....it enshrines a preexisted right, both the 1st and the 2nd. Missouri was granted state hood in 1820, not sure why you said 125 years? I can't believe you asked them to allow OC for those with permits.

Politics is theart of negotiation and compromise. If we said nothing, tried nothing we would have gotten "NOTHING". That is why I bought up the OC with CCW permit. To just go in and say we want OC and offered nothing there was no give. I gave, they did not. We went there trying to salvage something where there was nothing, we came out with nothing but we tried. It was a loose-loose situation from the start.

mspgunner

The state very much needs to totally preempt the local municipalities regarding RKBA.

Until that is accomplished, honest citizens will become criminals simply by stepping over the invisible lines.

I've tried my State senator and rep. - getting no responses from either. I have access to leadership in the House and Senate in Missouri but I get nothing (nothing to speak of) from them either. The OC movement does not have the lobby or people power to make this happen. It takes money (Lobby) or numbers of voters to write and call to get legislation to happen, we have neither!
Perhaps with time ----- YEARS---- this may change. To change a Statute frequently takes years. Each and every legislative session the OC movement will try again and again. The numbers need to grow as I expect they will. "Shall not be infringed" has a long way to go.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Understand the problem and the difficulty.

Good luck with recruitment - numbers do count.

tittiger

mspgunner,

Enshrines? I think it more accurate to say that every part the Constitution puts limitations on what the government can do.