Thread: Serpa for XD 5"

Serpa for XD 5"

Does anyone know if they make a SERPA holster and to what level for the Springfield XD Tactical 5"? Everything I see appears to be the Service 4" or smaller. Is there someone out there that knows if the 5" will fit?

I think it will work. Serpas are open ended, right? If that's true I can't foresee any reason why it wouldn't. That being said, I'm not a Serpa guy, so you should get a second opinion.

I have a XD9SC and an XDm40 and they both fit in the same serpa holster. The end of it is open so I don't see why the tactical wouldn't fit, though I can see having the barrel out the end as being less than ideal.

It'll work fine, that is a fact. Doesn't look too bad either. Evil Creamsicle of this forum carries his 5" in a Serpa quite regularly.

I do however suggest you instead consider a Safariland holsters, because they offer a non obvious retention system, a smoother draw which is doesn't have the ability to get hung up in a fast draw like a Serpa, as well as being immune to the Serpa's potential to get debris caught in the mechanism and completely jam. Lastly and least importantly, Safariland holsters have a nice lining to prevent rapid wear on your guns finish. All this for about 30-50% more money, but it's well worth it in my opinion.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

It's all good, I got one from a local pawnshop while I was lookin' for some other stuff. He had a couple XDs in the shop and I hostered them a couple times making sure this is what I wanted. So I got it and it works fine. Here's my next question.

What is the exact difference between Serpa Level 1, 2 and 3 hosters? Explain each Level please.

Level 1 appears to be the one that most people buy for carrying which is the one that I use.
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SER...,1145,1410.htm

Level 2 appears to a be tactical drop leg type of holster.
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Lev...,1173,1416.htm

Level 3 looks to be for carrying a gun with a light mounted on it .
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Lev...,1178,1416.htm
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Level 1 appears to be the one that most people buy for carrying which is the one that I use.
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SER...,1145,1410.htm
    That is a level 2 holster and says so in the description.

Featuring a unique speed-cut design, the CQC Carbon-Fiber Holster allows for smooth draw and easy re-holster without slowing you down. The patented SERPA Auto Lockô release delivers unparalleled weapon security and is automatically positioned to facilitate a correct drawing motion, making it the
    perfect Level 2 retention holster for concealed carry.

Should, my XDm40 has a 4.5" barrel and it just pokes out the bottom a little.

EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Mine is also a level 2.

Level 1 is just a friction retension like the fobus or the ones that come with the XD(m)'s. Level 2 has a button that needs to be pressed to along with friction to remove from the holster. Level 3 has those plus some other lock. Usually a thumb break that covers the back of the slide. That goes for serpa's. Safariland on the other hand has a level three but the releases are operated by the thumb.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    That is a level 2 holster and says so in the description.
    Missed that part. I figured it would have been in the description right at the top
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Ok so then what I got IS a level 2. OK. Well I'm happy with that for now. I've done a few drills on if someone tries for a gungrab and dealing with that. But NO MATTER WHAT it's on each and every one of us to be vigilant and aware of our surrounding. We call that in the aviation world - SA. Situational Awarness. Head on a swival. Don't get complacent. Don't get too comfy. Always be aware of what's at your 6. My wife thinks it's funny and weird but it's those little things that keep us alive. Like when I go to a restaurant and sit down, i have to be in an area where I can face the door and the most exits. Been like that since I was in High School.

I have a new XD 9mm service pistol and thinking about getting a level 3 SERPA as the link shows.

I know people already mentioned it above, but just want to make sure my pistol fits into this holster since I don't plan to waste $150+ bucks on it.
    Last edited by Lugiahua; 08-25-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugiahua View Post
    I have a new XD 9mm service pistol and thinking about getting a level 3 SERPA as the link shows.

I know people already mentioned it above, but just want to make sure my pistol fits into this holster since I don't plan to waste $150+ bucks on it.

The holster in your link does not fit any XD pistols.
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

Ay the moment Blackhawk does not have ANY level 3 systems for XD or XDm. I have looked.. The closest is the CQC (concealment, though they are a pain to try to conceal, don't try >< )model level 2, but it does not cover the slide like others so be prepared to have it bump into stuff. I still use it muself though.

Do NOT get a serpa that isn't made SPECIFICALLY for your particular pistol!

Doing so can ruin not only the holster (have to cut the holster to get the gun out after getting stuck) but can damage the gun also while removing it forceably to get it unstuck.

But I contacted Blackhawk and they assured me that the CQC model will fit XD and XDm the same way, but right now it's the only model that supports the XD line. He said level 3 is on the board but no ETA on when it's available.

Sent using tapatalk

Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Thank you guys for the reply
    I am still looking for a drop leg holster for my XD.

I live in California Bay Area, CCW is near impossible to me, and belt/hip holster would be hard for me during winter
    (due to my height, most coats would cover my belt/hip holster)

so is there any suggestion for my service XD 9mm?

ok, since I can't find any drop-leg SERPA working with XD

Is it possible for me to attach a SERPA CQC with Tactical Holster Platform or SERPA Platform? So I can convert it into drop-leg somehow?

SERPA Platform
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SER...ous,772,82.htm

Tactical Holster Platform
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Tac...orm,814,82.htm

Have you tried calling them?

1-757-436-3101
    1-800-694-5263 x3450

I have called them several times in the past, always very helpful. May want to wait until Monday though. They are in Norfolk, Virginia, right in the path of hurricane Irene.
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Have you tried calling them?

1-757-436-3101
    1-800-694-5263 x3450

I have called them several times in the past, always very helpful. May want to wait until Monday though. They are in Norfolk, Virginia, right in the path of hurricane Irene.
    yeah, I just wrote an email to them before posted the previous post. will call them if I don't have the reply.

Thank you guys for the reply
    I am still looking for a drop leg holster for my XD.

I live in California Bay Area, CCW is near impossible to me, and belt/hip holster would be hard for me during winter
    (due to my height, most coats would cover my belt/hip holster)

so is there any suggestion for my service XD 9mm?
    Safariland 6004 or 6005 -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Safariland 6004 or 6005 -
    thank you, a classmate of mine also gave similar suggestion today.
    BH wrote back to me confirmed that SERPA can be attach to a leg platform as well. Not sure which one I am going after now

BH wrote back to me confirmed that SERPA can be attach to a leg platform as well. Not sure which one I am going after now
    That's what I did, bought the stand alone platform and moved my CQC serpa for XDm to the drop leg holster. One bit of warning though, CQC does not cover the slide of the firearm, so be prepared to have it bump into things and get scratched, if your like me at least. >.<

I contacted Blackhawk and they said a duty platform is in the works for XD's but he doesn't have a timetable on when they'll be available. (duty covers the full length of the gun, no worries about banging into things)

I have heard about people buy a glock version of the duty and making minor adjusments to fit an XD, you can youtube it and judge for yourself. At least it gets you full cover...
    Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

If you want advice, stay away from the serpa.
    I have used them on a few different guns and they are all in the bottom of the closet now they are an inferior holster.
    I won't even debate that with anybody, I have seen it with my own eyes and can only suggest you look at another brand/model (search if you want details).
    I think the safariland will do the task you are asking for.

Super Trucker,

Without even rudimentary supporting reasoning, your opinion will likely be ignored.

I do not agree with you about the Serpa holsters, but won't debate you on it.

However, it would be helpful if you expressed exactly WHY you find Serpa holsters inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    Super Trucker,

Without even rudimentary supporting reasoning, your opinion will likely be ignored.

I do not agree with you about the Serpa holsters, but won't debate you on it.

However, it would be helpful if you expressed exactly WHY you find Serpa holsters inferior.
    I've never used a Serpa myself, but if I had to guess I'd say it's for the inferior protection (less material, no lining), external button that could get fouled with dirt, ice/snow/slush, clay, etc, and the fact that if used improperly your trigger finger, which must activate the tension release, will fall directly on your trigger when the gun clears the holster.

All of this makes it seem like an inferior design compared to a Safariland.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    I've never used a Serpa myself, but if I had to guess I'd say it's for the inferior protection (less material, no lining), external button that could get fouled with dirt, ice/snow/slush, clay, etc, and the fact that if used improperly your trigger finger, which must activate the tension release, will fall directly on your trigger when the gun clears the holster.

All of this makes it seem like an inferior design compared to a Safariland.
    I don't agree with inferior protection. Any holster will wear your finish. It just happens.

The button, not an issue in my several year's experience with the Serpa.

The finger falling on the trigger is due to improper use of the holster. And in my experience, your finger doesn't fall directly on the trigger, so much as not on the slide.

I have no experience with the safariland holster, but from my direct daily experience with the Serpa, I see no problems with it.

Actually, there is one problem. The old model serpas had a ridge that would scrape my finger when drawing. The new ones don't have this issue.