• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Serpa for XD 5"

Brion

Does anyone know if they make a SERPA holster and to what level for the Springfield XD Tactical 5"? Everything I see appears to be the Service 4" or smaller. Is there someone out there that knows if the 5" will fit?

cbpeck

I think it will work. Serpas are open ended, right? If that's true I can't foresee any reason why it wouldn't. That being said, I'm not a Serpa guy, so you should get a second opinion.

Aknazer

I have a XD9SC and an XDm40 and they both fit in the same serpa holster. The end of it is open so I don't see why the tactical wouldn't fit, though I can see having the barrel out the end as being less than ideal.

Michigander

It'll work fine, that is a fact. Doesn't look too bad either. Evil Creamsicle of this forum carries his 5" in a Serpa quite regularly.

I do however suggest you instead consider a Safariland holsters, because they offer a non obvious retention system, a smoother draw which is doesn't have the ability to get hung up in a fast draw like a Serpa, as well as being immune to the Serpa's potential to get debris caught in the mechanism and completely jam. Lastly and least importantly, Safariland holsters have a nice lining to prevent rapid wear on your guns finish. All this for about 30-50% more money, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Brion

It's all good, I got one from a local pawnshop while I was lookin' for some other stuff. He had a couple XDs in the shop and I hostered them a couple times making sure this is what I wanted. So I got it and it works fine. Here's my next question.

What is the exact difference between Serpa Level 1, 2 and 3 hosters? Explain each Level please.

XDFDE45

jeeper1

Level 1 appears to be the one that most people buy for carrying which is the one that I use.
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SER...,1145,1410.htm
That is a level 2 holster and says so in the description.

Featuring a unique speed-cut design, the CQC Carbon-Fiber Holster allows for smooth draw and easy re-holster without slowing you down. The patented SERPA Auto Lock™ release delivers unparalleled weapon security and is automatically positioned to facilitate a correct drawing motion, making it the
perfect Level 2 retention holster for concealed carry.

Sabotage70

Should, my XDm40 has a 4.5" barrel and it just pokes out the bottom a little.

IMG_0588.jpg

Sabotage70

Mine is also a level 2.

Level 1 is just a friction retension like the fobus or the ones that come with the XD(m)'s. Level 2 has a button that needs to be pressed to along with friction to remove from the holster. Level 3 has those plus some other lock. Usually a thumb break that covers the back of the slide. That goes for serpa's. Safariland on the other hand has a level three but the releases are operated by the thumb.

Brion

Ok so then what I got IS a level 2. OK. Well I'm happy with that for now. I've done a few drills on if someone tries for a gungrab and dealing with that. But NO MATTER WHAT it's on each and every one of us to be vigilant and aware of our surrounding. We call that in the aviation world - SA. Situational Awarness. Head on a swival. Don't get complacent. Don't get too comfy. Always be aware of what's at your 6. My wife thinks it's funny and weird but it's those little things that keep us alive. Like when I go to a restaurant and sit down, i have to be in an area where I can face the door and the most exits. Been like that since I was in High School.

Curmudgeon

Baked on Grease

I have a new XD 9mm service pistol and thinking about getting a level 3 SERPA as the link shows.
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Level-3-SERPA-Light-Bearing-Tactical-Holster,1178,1416.htm

I know people already mentioned it above, but just want to make sure my pistol fits into this holster since I don't plan to waste $150+ bucks on it.

Ay the moment Blackhawk does not have ANY level 3 systems for XD or XDm. I have looked.. The closest is the CQC (concealment, though they are a pain to try to conceal, don't try >< )model level 2, but it does not cover the slide like others so be prepared to have it bump into stuff. I still use it muself though.

Do NOT get a serpa that isn't made SPECIFICALLY for your particular pistol!

Doing so can ruin not only the holster (have to cut the holster to get the gun out after getting stuck) but can damage the gun also while removing it forceably to get it unstuck.

But I contacted Blackhawk and they assured me that the CQC model will fit XD and XDm the same way, but right now it's the only model that supports the XD line. He said level 3 is on the board but no ETA on when it's available.

Sent using tapatalk

Sent using tapatalk

Lugiahua

Thank you guys for the reply
I am still looking for a drop leg holster for my XD.

I live in California Bay Area, CCW is near impossible to me, and belt/hip holster would be hard for me during winter
(due to my height, most coats would cover my belt/hip holster)

so is there any suggestion for my service XD 9mm?

Curmudgeon

Have you tried calling them?

1-757-436-3101
1-800-694-5263 x3450

I have called them several times in the past, always very helpful. May want to wait until Monday though. They are in Norfolk, Virginia, right in the path of hurricane Irene.

Lugiahua

Have you tried calling them?

1-757-436-3101
1-800-694-5263 x3450

I have called them several times in the past, always very helpful. May want to wait until Monday though. They are in Norfolk, Virginia, right in the path of hurricane Irene.

yeah, I just wrote an email to them before posted the previous post. will call them if I don't have the reply.

Super Trucker

Thank you guys for the reply
I am still looking for a drop leg holster for my XD.

I live in California Bay Area, CCW is near impossible to me, and belt/hip holster would be hard for me during winter
(due to my height, most coats would cover my belt/hip holster)

so is there any suggestion for my service XD 9mm?

Safariland 6004 or 6005 -