• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Serpa for XD 5"

Baked on Grease

thank you, a classmate of mine also gave similar suggestion today.
BH wrote back to me confirmed that SERPA can be attach to a leg platform as well. Not sure which one I am going after now:lol:

That's what I did, bought the stand alone platform and moved my CQC serpa for XDm to the drop leg holster. One bit of warning though, CQC does not cover the slide of the firearm, so be prepared to have it bump into things and get scratched, if your like me at least. >.<

I contacted Blackhawk and they said a duty platform is in the works for XD's but he doesn't have a timetable on when they'll be available. (duty covers the full length of the gun, no worries about banging into things)

I have heard about people buy a glock version of the duty and making minor adjusments to fit an XD, you can youtube it and judge for yourself. At least it gets you full cover...
Sent using tapatalk

Super Trucker

thank you, a classmate of mine also gave similar suggestion today.
BH wrote back to me confirmed that SERPA can be attach to a leg platform as well. Not sure which one I am going after now:lol:

If you want advice, stay away from the serpa.
I have used them on a few different guns and they are all in the bottom of the closet now they are an inferior holster.
I won't even debate that with anybody, I have seen it with my own eyes and can only suggest you look at another brand/model (search if you want details).
I think the safariland will do the task you are asking for.

thx997303

Super Trucker,

Without even rudimentary supporting reasoning, your opinion will likely be ignored.

I do not agree with you about the Serpa holsters, but won't debate you on it.

However, it would be helpful if you expressed exactly WHY you find Serpa holsters inferior.

SovereignAxe

Super Trucker,

Without even rudimentary supporting reasoning, your opinion will likely be ignored.

I do not agree with you about the Serpa holsters, but won't debate you on it.

However, it would be helpful if you expressed exactly WHY you find Serpa holsters inferior.

I've never used a Serpa myself, but if I had to guess I'd say it's for the inferior protection (less material, no lining), external button that could get fouled with dirt, ice/snow/slush, clay, etc, and the fact that if used improperly your trigger finger, which must activate the tension release, will fall directly on your trigger when the gun clears the holster.

All of this makes it seem like an inferior design compared to a Safariland.

thx997303

I've never used a Serpa myself, but if I had to guess I'd say it's for the inferior protection (less material, no lining), external button that could get fouled with dirt, ice/snow/slush, clay, etc, and the fact that if used improperly your trigger finger, which must activate the tension release, will fall directly on your trigger when the gun clears the holster.

All of this makes it seem like an inferior design compared to a Safariland.

I don't agree with inferior protection. Any holster will wear your finish. It just happens.

The button, not an issue in my several year's experience with the Serpa.

The finger falling on the trigger is due to improper use of the holster. And in my experience, your finger doesn't fall directly on the trigger, so much as not on the slide.

I have no experience with the safariland holster, but from my direct daily experience with the Serpa, I see no problems with it.

Actually, there is one problem. The old model serpas had a ridge that would scrape my finger when drawing. The new ones don't have this issue.