• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama's "under the radar" gun control strategy

DanM

On March 30 [2011], the 30th anniversary of the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan, Jim Brady, who sustained a debilitating head wound in the attack, and his wife, Sarah, came to Capitol Hill to push for a ban on the controversial “large magazines.” Brady, for whom the law requiring background checks on handgun purchasers is named, then met with White House press secretary Jay Carney. During the meeting, President Obama dropped in and, according to Sarah Brady, brought up the issue of gun control, “to fill us in that it was very much on his agenda,” she said.

“I just want you to know that we are working on it,” Brady recalled the president telling them. “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...steve-croley/2011/04/04/AFt9EKND_story_1.html

Aknazer

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone given who he nominated to the supreme court, the atf, and his overall gun control attitude prior to being elected.

Brion

Glory be the day we get a president that stand up at the podium and says
"I will not sign any law that seeks to deny anyone of any right granted to them by the Constitution."
Common sense isn't common. It's all over the place. Loose gun control communities = lower violent crime rate.
"Under the radar." - You sir, are a coward.

DanM

Glory be the day we get a president that stand up at the podium and says
"I will not sign any law that seeks to deny anyone of any right granted to them by the Constitution."

I would prefer a politician who says "I will not sign any law that seeks to go beyond the literal powers granted to government by the Constitution." The hypothetical statement you use would allow the President to sign onto any granting of power to the government as long as it doesn't deny a right affirmed by the Constitution. Also, note I use the word "affirm" rather than "granted", because the US Constitution doesn't grant you your rights. I'm sure you meant it that way, but should express it more accurately. Words mean stuff, and words do have an effect on one's political development. The difference between producing liberty-loving people and people who accept the yoke of despotism does lie in whether we refer to rights as "granted", or innate and merely "affirmed" by government.

I view the Constitution as an enumerated list, to be interpreted literally, of what the government is allowed to do, and nothing beyond.

Last edited:

Varmiter

So What???

McCarthy’s HB 308 followed immediately on the heels of the Tucson shooting. It was passed immediately to committee where it is gathering dust.

Not one gun restriction bill passed the 111th congress when the Dems/Libs held a vast majority. Do you really think that situation has changed in this (112th) congress.

His so called strategy will not work. This is just posturing.

Chris

Aknazer

The bigger concern is what he might try to do to bypass congress. For example trying to get things ruled as of no sporting/hunting value and thus prohibited items under the nfa (at least I believe that's the correct verbage and law). Or by nominating antis to positions of power that can effectively bypass congress (like the supreme court or the atf). I don't think anyone really expects a gun control law to actually make it to his desk.

Varmiter

The bigger concern is what he might try to do to bypass congress. For example trying to get things ruled as of no sporting/hunting value and thus prohibited items under the nfa (at least I believe that's the correct verbage and law). Or by nominating antis to positions of power that can effectively bypass congress (like the supreme court or the atf). I don't think anyone really expects a gun control law to actually make it to his desk.

Some good points.....However:

Under NFA, any change to existing federal law must pass thru both chambers of congress.

There is no way a SC nominee can bypass congress (senate).

Now the ATF. Obama really screwed up in his attempt to nominate Traver. He should have waited for congress to be in recess to make the nomination for any chance of it happening. However, he made the nomination while congress was in session, and you can thank Harry Reid for sending the nomination back to Obama on a technicality. So Obama re-nominated Traver and his nomination hearing is not yet on the committee’s calendar. In any event, Traver is also up to his proverbial backside in the project gunwalker scandal. Oh....and today was the deadline for the ATF to answer the subpoena issued by Issa. The news tomorrow should be interesting.

Now, if you want a real eye opener, go over to Constitution Watch. Scroll down to the second entry with the subject “Federal Firearm Laws are Unconstitutional along with the ATF and others.” It’s long, and probably boring, but well worth a patient read.

http://constitutionwatch.wordpress.com/

Chris

Last edited:

rkbaguy

obamaguns_Page_1-1.jpg

obamaguns_Page_2.jpg

Last edited:

MilProGuy

My only hope is that the 52.8% of the American voters who put this pseudo-president into office will "get their hearts right" before the next presidential election and help us put a REAL American president into office, who will live up to his oath to protect the Constitution of the United States of America!

Aknazer

rkbaguy I'm confused by your posts. Are you supporting that crap? I'm curious as to why you're posting it without anything else.

Beretta92FSLady

My only hope is that the 52.8% of the American voters who put this pseudo-president into office will "get their hearts right" before the next presidential election and help us put a REAL American president into office, who will live up to his oath to protect the Constitution of the United States of America!

With talk like that, I am voting for President Obama twice this next time around.

I don't think individuals really want to go down the road of determining who 'is,' and who 'is not' a "real American." If you do, then I hope you enjoy the ride, and keep in mind you might not end up on the "real America" side.

Last edited:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
With talk like that, I am voting for President Obama twice this next time around.

I don't think individuals really want to go down the road of determining who 'is,' and who 'is not' a "real American." If you do, then I hope you enjoy the ride, and keep in mind you might not end up on the "real America" side.

Thanks to people voting twice, not to mention the dead voters, the moonbat messiah won last time.

I predict there will be more dead voters this time, than anyone with any brains wasting their time voting ONCE for %9.2 unemployment, deficit spending that made Bush look like a penny pincher, record gas prices, steady food price increases, declining real estate values, increased regulations, and hardcore leftist policies that can no longer be hidden.

I like German beers BTW.:D

Daylen

Those who support freedom and individual choice are "real Americans" of course (even if those individuals choose to give up their freedom and individualism), as opposed to those who support forcing tyranny and conformity on others in a Stalin/Marxist fashion.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
rkbaguy

I get the distinct impression you're a fascist troll. I never see you contribute anything of value, and you're always posting Brady agitprop.

Therefore I'm making you the 4th idiot on my ignore list.