Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man accidentally shoots self in Gander Mt. parking lot

Man accidentally shoots self in Gander Mt. parking lot

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...ts_self_i.html

GRANDVILLE – Police are responding to the Gander Mountain store along Canal Avenue SW on reports that a 60-year-old man shot himself in the leg while trying to clear the chamber of a weapon.

Dispatchers report that the gun has since been locked in the victim's vehicle in the shopping center parking lot at 4655 Canal Ave. SW.

Authorities did not immediately report the type of weapon the man was handling when he shot himself about 12:50 p.m.

'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Question

Accidents happen, it's just a part of life. I hope the gentlemen recovers from his wound quickly. Safe weapons handling is important always, but let's remember we may not be getting the full story here [not that the press ever omits facts..right] was there a medical condition/emergency prior to accidental discharge [stroke/seizure/heart attack..etc..] and so on.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Banned
    Just speculating, but my guess is that he was without a CPL, and having been denied his A2 rights while in his vehicle, and had a NG in the process of complying with the transportation laws.

I have said it before, this sort of thing is inevitable. Maybe when this happens to the right person, in power or close to someone who is, then it will change.

finger on the trigger & pointed towards leg to clear it xD

At least he got the round out of the chamber?
    Molon Labe

[+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

Banned
    Could use some feedback on the comments.

I also hope he recovers quickly...

I am glad this does not happen more often...

That it dosn't, speaks volumes to the fact that gun carriers that or forced by ignorant state laws into unloading and putting in a case while vehicle transporting, then loading again when you get to you next destination... pratice safe gun handling above and beyond what would be considerd "normal" gun handling without having this mandate...

Wisconsin allows only OC but requires you to do the unload, case, load dance at every location (stop) you make throught the day. Sometimes I actually loose track of how many times a day I have to rack the slide to eject the round in the chamber..

I suppose this type of accident could be avoided by not chambering a round but that would be a persoanl choice. I choose to carry fully loaded...

Outdoorsman1

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Just speculating, but my guess is that he was without a CPL, and having been denied his A2 rights while in his vehicle, and had a NG in the process of complying with the transportation laws.

I have said it before, this sort of thing is inevitable. Maybe when this happens to the right person, in power or close to someone who is, then it will change.
    Exactly what I was thinking. When you make laws forcing people to clear weapons a million times a day accidents are going to happen. And they're just that, accidents. I'm sure this fellow has done this tons and tons of times with out having a discharge. I'm not going to say it happens to everyone (I've never had a negligent discharge), but it happens.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 04-13-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, USA
    Seeing as how this happened in a parking lot and I should have an emotional response to ban something now because of how the media is brainwashing me, I say we ban parking lots!! Especially high capacity parking lots where more negligent discharges can statistically occur than small capacity parking lots

SARCASM
    "Reason can never be popular. Passions and feelings can become popular, but reason will always remain the sole property of a few eminent individuals."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Moderator / Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post

Exactly - statutes requiring gun handling in public lead to negligent discharges.

Banned
    The man who was injured should be able to sue the state for damages.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    I also hope he recovers quickly...

I am glad this does not happen more often...

That it dosn't, speaks volumes to the fact that gun carriers that or forced by ignorant state laws into unloading and putting in a case while vehicle transporting, then loading again when you get to you next destination... pratice safe gun handling above and beyond what would be considerd "normal" gun handling without having this mandate...

Wisconsin allows only OC but requires you to do the unload, case, load dance at every location (stop) you make throught the day. Sometimes I actually loose track of how many times a day I have to rack the slide to eject the round in the chamber..

I suppose this type of accident could be avoided by not chambering a round but that would be a persoanl choice. I choose to carry fully loaded...

Outdoorsman1
    I logged in and put most of my post here under their "comments"....

Outdoorsman1

Follow-up story

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...61-year-o.html

GRANDVILLE -- A 61-year-old Muskegon-area man was the person injured in the leg when he accidentally shot himself with a handgun in a mall parking lot outside the Gander Mountain store, Grandville police said.

The gun was a Springfield Micro Compact .45. Police said it fired as he tried to unload it at around 1 p.m. Tuesday, in a strip mall parking lot along Canal Avenue, across from Grandville High School.

He had not just purchased the gun, police said.

Grandville Detective Sgt. Renee Veldman said today police are not yet releasing the man's name and that the incident remains under investigation. She did not have an update on his condition, but the man sought hospital treatment after the injury.

Grandville has an ordinance against reckless discharge of a firearm, a misdemeanor.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Follow-up story

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...61-year-o.html

GRANDVILLE -- A 61-year-old Muskegon-area man was the person injured in the leg when he accidentally shot himself with a handgun in a mall parking lot outside the Gander Mountain store, Grandville police said.

The gun was a Springfield Micro Compact .45. Police said it fired as he tried to unload it at around 1 p.m. Tuesday, in a strip mall parking lot along Canal Avenue, across from Grandville High School.

He had not just purchased the gun, police said.

Grandville Detective Sgt. Renee Veldman said today police are not yet releasing the man's name and that the incident remains under investigation. She did not have an update on his condition, but the man sought hospital treatment after the injury.

Grandville has an ordinance against reckless discharge of a firearm, a misdemeanor.

I think they'll have a little difficulty raising it to the level of recklessness, which requires willful or wanton disregard for the safety of others. But, hey, they're only going to spend our tax dollars, so let’s charge him and let him plead out.

I say, if he is 'one of us', we should start a legal defense fund at the first sniff of malfeasance on the part of Grandville's prosecutor.

My first thought was he was getting his gun worked on at the gunsmith, thinking about trying holsters or maybe selling his gun. Doesn't change the fact some of our gun laws are dumb.

stories like this fuel the fire for anti-gun people use against regular safe carrying handgun owners. 100 stories of safe carry and weapons used legally to prevent innocent deaths can be wiped out by one story like this. like a plane crash. 100's of planes take off and land every minute without incident that don't make the news. one plane crash and people panic about how horrible and dangerous air travel is.

Banned
    Good way to put it. Too bad they dont know enough of the facts to place the blame properly on the infringements that are at the core of the problem.

There are the basics of safe handling, but who hasn't made a simple mistake with a tool, a gun, a car, or other device? Not all have shot themselves in the leg, but all of us have shot ourselves in the foot at one time in one form or another.

"Springfield Micro Compact .45"

I'm actually looking into buying one of those. Nice choice... to carry. Not to shoot yourself in the leg with. A .45 at point blank range would probably break the skin I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    At least he got the round out of the chamber?
    lol

Founder's Club Member

Man accidentally shoots self in Gander Mt. parking lot

The Thin Man series:

Nick Charles: "I'm a hero. I was shot twice in the Tribune."

Nora: "I read where you were shot five times in the tabloids."

Nick: "It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG3NZjRv2nM

Scuttlebutt is, CPL holder wanted to buy a LG, whips out CPL, realizes its expired, goes to car PDQ to disarm before he gets a CCW, and gets an ND in the process.

Muzzle Muzzle, Muzzle damnit!
    Last edited by Shadow Bear; 04-15-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Banned
    He would have been legal, I doubt Gander Mtn. has a liquor license.

Many here remember in 2008 that I was shot by my CZ52 when if fell on the ground and hit the hammer, shooting me in the leg. In my case, I violated the 4 rules by allowing my gun to point at me. I share the blame with CZ, because they made a garbage product, and I used it negligently.

In this case, this gentleman had to have more seriously violated the 4 rules. He would have had to put his finger on the trigger, and he had to have pointed the gun at himself. I'm not trying to insult him, but he screwed up, and has no one to blame but himself.

While I respect those of you who believe we can blame politicians for this, it could have just as easily happened at his home. I don't believe we can reasonably try to make people believe we're all responsible with guns if we can't convince them we can carry and operate them safely. We certainly can blame politicians for depriving us of our rights. But personal rights, including exercising them within Michigan's corrupt and unconstitutional carry laws also bring with them personal responsibility. So I for one won't try to use laws as an avenue to excuse anything stupid I've ever done.
    Last edited by Michigander; 04-15-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned
    Very true. I want to be clear though, that I feel the laws only share in the blame. In the end, he screwed up. The laws may have led him to that point, but the politicians didnt shoot him in the leg, he did.

I unchamber my sidearm every time I stow it at home (also one of the NRA "rules" - never store a loaded gun - so I stow it with a full mag and an empty chamber)...

I clear it a dozen times a week or more. When I clear it I make very certain my booger hook is off the bang switch and the muzzle is pointed at the floor/basement. Only place for the bullet to go is the basement (no one's down there).

I can't imagine pointing it at myself or anyone else where I clear it.

I don't have all the facts here, so I reserve the right to say I was wrong if something germane comes to light.

That being said, this sounds like a training issue.

A change in the law wouldn't stop him from shooting himself eventually by not having proper technique in clearing his arm.

Let's not blame the law (at all) because someone ate McDonolds every day/4 times a day (being careless) and gets obese.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I unchamber my sidearm every time I stow it at home (also one of the NRA "rules" - never store a loaded gun - so I stow it with a full mag and an empty chamber)...

I clear it a dozen times a week or more. When I clear it I make very certain my booger hook is off the bang switch and the muzzle is pointed at the floor/basement. Only place for the bullet to go is the basement (no one's down there).

I can't imagine pointing it at myself or anyone else where I clear it.

I don't have all the facts here, so I reserve the right to say I was wrong if something germane comes to light.

That being said, this sounds like a training issue.

A change in the law wouldn't stop him from shooting himself eventually by not having proper technique in clearing his arm.

Let's not blame the law (at all) because someone ate McDonolds every day/4 times a day (being careless) and gets obese.
    No need to say more, when we follow safe practices, we all win! We all make mistakes, so let us hope that this guy is okay & shares his new found lessons about safe gun handling with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    Scuttlebutt is, CPL holder wanted to buy a LG, whips out CPL, realizes its expired, goes to car PDQ to disarm before he gets a CCW, and gets an ND in the process.
    IF this is true it only goes to illustrate why it's so important to educate people on the laws surrounding open carry. I picture this man panicking because he realizes he's carrying concealed without a valid license then going to his car to unload & store the firearm. In his haste and panic he screwed up and shot himself. Had he known the laws regarding open carry he would have known that he could simply have exposed his holstered gun in the store (assuming it was OWB) and been good to go while shopping. He could have then unloaded and stored the firearm in the trunk without being panicked....all because he knew the laws.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast