• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man accidentally shoots self in Gander Mt. parking lot

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/04/man_accidentally_shoots_self_i.html

GRANDVILLE – Police are responding to the Gander Mountain store along Canal Avenue SW on reports that a 60-year-old man shot himself in the leg while trying to clear the chamber of a weapon.

Dispatchers report that the gun has since been locked in the victim's vehicle in the shopping center parking lot at 4655 Canal Ave. SW.

Authorities did not immediately report the type of weapon the man was handling when he shot himself about 12:50 p.m.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Accidents happen, it's just a part of life. I hope the gentlemen recovers from his wound quickly. Safe weapons handling is important always, but let's remember we may not be getting the full story here [not that the press ever omits facts..right] was there a medical condition/emergency prior to accidental discharge [stroke/seizure/heart attack..etc..] and so on.

stainless1911

Banned
Just speculating, but my guess is that he was without a CPL, and having been denied his A2 rights while in his vehicle, and had a NG in the process of complying with the transportation laws.

I have said it before, this sort of thing is inevitable. Maybe when this happens to the right person, in power or close to someone who is, then it will change.

Outdoorsman1

I also hope he recovers quickly...

I am glad this does not happen more often...

That it dosn't, speaks volumes to the fact that gun carriers that or forced by ignorant state laws :banghead: into unloading and putting in a case while vehicle transporting, then loading again when you get to you next destination... pratice safe gun handling above and beyond what would be considerd "normal" gun handling without having this mandate...

Wisconsin allows only OC but requires you to do the unload, case, load dance at every location (stop) you make throught the day. Sometimes I actually loose track of how many times a day I have to rack the slide to eject the round in the chamber..

I suppose this type of accident could be avoided by not chambering a round but that would be a persoanl choice. I choose to carry fully loaded...

Outdoorsman1

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Just speculating, but my guess is that he was without a CPL, and having been denied his A2 rights while in his vehicle, and had a NG in the process of complying with the transportation laws.

I have said it before, this sort of thing is inevitable. Maybe when this happens to the right person, in power or close to someone who is, then it will change.

Exactly what I was thinking. When you make laws forcing people to clear weapons a million times a day accidents are going to happen. And they're just that, accidents. I'm sure this fellow has done this tons and tons of times with out having a discharge. I'm not going to say it happens to everyone (I've never had a negligent discharge), but it happens.

Last edited:

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
Seeing as how this happened in a parking lot and I should have an emotional response to ban something now because of how the media is brainwashing me, I say we ban parking lots!! Especially high capacity parking lots where more negligent discharges can statistically occur than small capacity parking lots :banghead:

SARCASM

Mike

Site Co-Founder

Exactly - statutes requiring gun handling in public lead to negligent discharges.

Outdoorsman1

I also hope he recovers quickly...

I am glad this does not happen more often...

That it dosn't, speaks volumes to the fact that gun carriers that or forced by ignorant state laws :banghead: into unloading and putting in a case while vehicle transporting, then loading again when you get to you next destination... pratice safe gun handling above and beyond what would be considerd "normal" gun handling without having this mandate...

Wisconsin allows only OC but requires you to do the unload, case, load dance at every location (stop) you make throught the day. Sometimes I actually loose track of how many times a day I have to rack the slide to eject the round in the chamber..

I suppose this type of accident could be avoided by not chambering a round but that would be a persoanl choice. I choose to carry fully loaded...

Outdoorsman1

I logged in and put most of my post here under their "comments"....

Outdoorsman1

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Follow-up story

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/04/muskegon-area_man_is_61-year-o.html

GRANDVILLE -- A 61-year-old Muskegon-area man was the person injured in the leg when he accidentally shot himself with a handgun in a mall parking lot outside the Gander Mountain store, Grandville police said.

The gun was a Springfield Micro Compact .45. Police said it fired as he tried to unload it at around 1 p.m. Tuesday, in a strip mall parking lot along Canal Avenue, across from Grandville High School.

He had not just purchased the gun, police said.

Grandville Detective Sgt. Renee Veldman said today police are not yet releasing the man's name and that the incident remains under investigation. She did not have an update on his condition, but the man sought hospital treatment after the injury.

Grandville has an ordinance against reckless discharge of a firearm, a misdemeanor.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Follow-up story

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/04/muskegon-area_man_is_61-year-o.html

GRANDVILLE -- A 61-year-old Muskegon-area man was the person injured in the leg when he accidentally shot himself with a handgun in a mall parking lot outside the Gander Mountain store, Grandville police said.

The gun was a Springfield Micro Compact .45. Police said it fired as he tried to unload it at around 1 p.m. Tuesday, in a strip mall parking lot along Canal Avenue, across from Grandville High School.

He had not just purchased the gun, police said.

Grandville Detective Sgt. Renee Veldman said today police are not yet releasing the man's name and that the incident remains under investigation. She did not have an update on his condition, but the man sought hospital treatment after the injury.

Grandville has an ordinance against reckless discharge of a firearm, a misdemeanor.

:banghead:I think they'll have a little difficulty raising it to the level of recklessness, which requires willful or wanton disregard for the safety of others. But, hey, they're only going to spend our tax dollars, so let’s charge him and let him plead out.

I say, if he is 'one of us', we should start a legal defense fund at the first sniff of malfeasance on the part of Grandville's prosecutor.

scot623

My first thought was he was getting his gun worked on at the gunsmith, thinking about trying holsters or maybe selling his gun. Doesn't change the fact some of our gun laws are dumb.

kryptonian

stories like this fuel the fire for anti-gun people use against regular safe carrying handgun owners. 100 stories of safe carry and weapons used legally to prevent innocent deaths can be wiped out by one story like this. like a plane crash. 100's of planes take off and land every minute without incident that don't make the news. one plane crash and people panic about how horrible and dangerous air travel is.

stainless1911

Banned
Good way to put it. Too bad they dont know enough of the facts to place the blame properly on the infringements that are at the core of the problem.

There are the basics of safe handling, but who hasn't made a simple mistake with a tool, a gun, a car, or other device? Not all have shot themselves in the leg, but all of us have shot ourselves in the foot at one time in one form or another.

kubel

"Springfield Micro Compact .45"

I'm actually looking into buying one of those. Nice choice... to carry. Not to shoot yourself in the leg with. A .45 at point blank range would probably break the skin I'm guessing.

At least he got the round out of the chamber? :lol:

lol

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Scuttlebutt is, CPL holder wanted to buy a LG, whips out CPL, realizes its expired, goes to car PDQ to disarm before he gets a CCW, and gets an ND in the process.

Muzzle Muzzle, Muzzle damnit!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited: