• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man accidentally shoots self in Gander Mt. parking lot

Michigander

Many here remember in 2008 that I was shot by my CZ52 when if fell on the ground and hit the hammer, shooting me in the leg. In my case, I violated the 4 rules by allowing my gun to point at me. I share the blame with CZ, because they made a garbage product, and I used it negligently.

In this case, this gentleman had to have more seriously violated the 4 rules. He would have had to put his finger on the trigger, and he had to have pointed the gun at himself. I'm not trying to insult him, but he screwed up, and has no one to blame but himself.

While I respect those of you who believe we can blame politicians for this, it could have just as easily happened at his home. I don't believe we can reasonably try to make people believe we're all responsible with guns if we can't convince them we can carry and operate them safely. We certainly can blame politicians for depriving us of our rights. But personal rights, including exercising them within Michigan's corrupt and unconstitutional carry laws also bring with them personal responsibility. So I for one won't try to use laws as an avenue to excuse anything stupid I've ever done.

Last edited:

TheQ

I unchamber my sidearm every time I stow it at home (also one of the NRA "rules" - never store a loaded gun - so I stow it with a full mag and an empty chamber)...

I clear it a dozen times a week or more. When I clear it I make very certain my booger hook is off the bang switch and the muzzle is pointed at the floor/basement. Only place for the bullet to go is the basement (no one's down there).

I can't imagine pointing it at myself or anyone else where I clear it.

I don't have all the facts here, so I reserve the right to say I was wrong if something germane comes to light.

That being said, this sounds like a training issue.

A change in the law wouldn't stop him from shooting himself eventually by not having proper technique in clearing his arm.

Let's not blame the law (at all) because someone ate McDonolds every day/4 times a day (being careless) and gets obese.

Get2DahChopper

I unchamber my sidearm every time I stow it at home (also one of the NRA "rules" - never store a loaded gun - so I stow it with a full mag and an empty chamber)...

I clear it a dozen times a week or more. When I clear it I make very certain my booger hook is off the bang switch and the muzzle is pointed at the floor/basement. Only place for the bullet to go is the basement (no one's down there).

I can't imagine pointing it at myself or anyone else where I clear it.

I don't have all the facts here, so I reserve the right to say I was wrong if something germane comes to light.

A change in the law wouldn't stop him from shooting himself eventually by not having proper technique in clearing his arm.

Let's not blame the law (at all) because someone ate McDonolds every day/4 times a day (being careless) and gets obese.

No need to say more, when we follow safe practices, we all win! We all make mistakes, so let us hope that this guy is okay & shares his new found lessons about safe gun handling with others.

Bronson

Scuttlebutt is, CPL holder wanted to buy a LG, whips out CPL, realizes its expired, goes to car PDQ to disarm before he gets a CCW, and gets an ND in the process.

IF this is true it only goes to illustrate why it's so important to educate people on the laws surrounding open carry. I picture this man panicking because he realizes he's carrying concealed without a valid license then going to his car to unload & store the firearm. In his haste and panic he screwed up and shot himself. Had he known the laws regarding open carry he would have known that he could simply have exposed his holstered gun in the store (assuming it was OWB) and been good to go while shopping. He could have then unloaded and stored the firearm in the trunk without being panicked....all because he knew the laws.

Bronson

j4l

I dont see CC or OC as dangerous in itself. Operator Headspace and Timing, however...well, there's a reason things fall under Natural Selection..gotta be smarter than the pistol,folks..

Super Trucker

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

Sorry for the off topic but are you aware of "bullet set back"?
If not look it up, since you unload regularly you do need to be aware of this.

The picture shows 2 rounds that are from the same box, the one on the left was chambered a dozen or so times. The excess pressure caused by this could cause problems.

Bulletsetback45acp.jpg

PSA over, back on topic.

Last edited:

TheQ

Sorry for the off topic but are you aware of "bullet set back"?
If not look it up, since you unload regularly you do need to be aware of this.

The picture shows 2 rounds that are from the same box, the one on the left was chambered a dozen or so times. The excess pressure caused by this could cause problems.

Bulletsetback45acp.jpg

PSA over, back on topic.

I am familiar with it and the dangers of it. I occasionally toss a round out because of it. I keep an eye on the seating of my chambered bullet.

sprinklerguy28

There is no NRA rule that states never store a loaded gun. The rule is keep it unloaded until ready to use. If you intend to use it for home protection, put it in your safe/storage area loaded and ready to go.