• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Impressive Expansion

junkie

I know this really doesn't have much to do with open carry. I just thought this was a great conversation piece. With the snow now melted at the range I was walking out to place a target and about 75 yards from the firing line I found this bullet just laying on the ground. I have only seen bullets like this in advertisements. After looking at it closer I noticed there are no rifling marks on it so I am guessing it came out of a muzzle loader with a sabot. Does anyone know what brand of bullet this would be? It looks like it might possibly be a Barnes all copper bullet. I find it very impressive that the snow opened the bullet up like this. I know it would do some serious damage to whatever was hit by it.

Attachments

• IMG_20110412_142002.jpg
    IMG_20110412_142002.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20110412_142010.jpg
    IMG_20110412_142010.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20110412_142027.jpg
    IMG_20110412_142027.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 83

LR Yote 312

Barnes or Hornady would be my guess.

If you know someone that reloads they can toss it on the scale and mic it
to tell ya rough caliber and weight.

As much as it opened up there appears to be less then 5% weight loss

LR Yote

apierce918

Barnes or Hornady would be my guess.

If you know someone that reloads they can toss it on the scale and mic it
to tell ya rough caliber and weight.

As much as it opened up there appears to be less then 5% weight loss

LR Yote

being conservative that it is probably a 300gr slug, from that pic you picked out 15gr that might be missing? lol

j/k

stickbow95

Looks like a .40 cal barnes to me. Based on the size of a nickel. If so it's probably a 180gr XPB.
Great bullets.
I load Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets in my .300 Weatherby Mag.

If it came from a muzzleloader it is probably a 195gr "Expander MZ"

Last edited: