• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why in the heck does everyone continue on with the term.....

VW_Factor

Gun-show loophole..

There, I said it. Its a stupid term.

Its really nothing to do with a gun-show, nor is it a loophole. Why do people (even pro-gun peeps) carry on using it?

We all know its just the simple transaction of a private sale between two parties who are not FFL's. So why the continuation of using the term? Are people really that dumb?

Daylen

I've never used that term. At first because I didn't know what it was, having just heard that some "loophole" exists at gunshows dealing with firearms laws. Later, after I educated myself, I do not use it because it is as meaningful as assault clips, assault weapons, assault pigeons, assault forks and every other meaningless term progressives come up with to try an evoke emotion in those ignorant of a subject matter. I have not heard any profirearms person ever use that term.

OldCurlyWolf

Gun-show loophole..

There, I said it. Its a stupid term.

Its really nothing to do with a gun-show, nor is it a loophole. Why do people (even pro-gun peeps) carry on using it?

We all know its just the simple transaction of a private sale between two parties who are not FFL's. So why the continuation of using the term? Are people really that dumb?

The libs and antis are mostly that idiotic and the ones that are not are aware that the rest are and they prey upon that idiocy.

Another stupid term is "gun crime" used by libs and antis for the same reason and with the same effect.

Those of us who are aware of the fallacies of these two terms should do what ever is within our power to eliminate them from the lexicon of all languages used in this country.:banghead::cuss:

Daylen

I like the "gun crime" one! Its a beautiful way to outright LIE! Instead of talking about violent crime or just murder it shifts the talk to tools used in violent crime! As if a person is better off being killed by knife or poison or bomb than a gun. Also, it ignores any other violent crime thus it indicates almost nothing about crime! A country could tout having 0 gun crimes and the brady bunch would be happy even if the murder rate was 1 per every 10 people annually.

PT111

There are several reasons for people continuing to use the term. One it sounds great in the media and can be used to incite support for the antis. Second it sounds good for politicians to use it in trying to make people think they actually doing something. Third it is normally used by people who think that it is a real loophole and have no idea what they are talking about.

Lastly there are some people that actually use it for a business model. At every gun show you will see someone with guns labled "Private sale". That way they do not require a FFL or pay taxes on their sales or profits. Interestingly sometimes you will see the same person at show after show selling these "Private sale" guns. What some are doing is usually supplementing their income with a gun business sideline but calling it private sales. That way they don't have to worry about the paperwork or tax man. For them it is a gunshow loophole.

But the OP is correct that there is no such thing but the term is not about to die. The one thing that we should be concerned about is that if they try to close the gunshow loophole what will it do to legitimate private sales.

M

McX

isnt commerce, and sales by private individuals not only a part of our heritage, and culture, but in my opinion a fundamental right, and a right of privacy. Kinda one of them Shall Not Be Infringed moments?

Aknazer

I don't have any direct issue with the term gun crime. I view the term as simply describing the weapon used in the crime similar to if someone said knife crime or whatever. My issue is how people either refuse to look at the whole picture or think that gun crime is magically worse than some other type of crime.

MKEgal

Every opportunity I have to educate (either in person or via comments on a 'news' article) I point out that the 'loophole' is imaginary.
Some media have started using quotes around the phrase, or at least around 'loophole', which I see as a very encouraging sign.

Another term we must remove from our own usage is "CCW" instead of concealed carry, permit to carry, concealed carry permit, etc.
CCW = concealed carry of weapons, a crime.
CC = concealed carry, not necessarily a crime.
OC = open carry, not necessarily a crime.

eye95

Every opportunity I have to educate (either in person or via comments on a 'news' article) I point out that the 'loophole' is imaginary.
Some media have started using quotes around the phrase, or at least around 'loophole', which I see as a very encouraging sign.

Another term we must remove from our own usage is "CCW" instead of concealed carry, permit to carry, concealed carry permit, etc.

Actually, much to the chagrin of another poster who is on a crusade to end the use of "CCW," in at least one State, it is the acronym the State uses to refer to the license. Also, the abbreviation also stands for "concealed carry weapon," the concealed firearm itself, not just the crime.

Aknazer

I don't agree with people that say that CCW is a bad term. While you need a CWP or whatever your state calls the license, the weapon itself is still a CCW as its a concealed carried weapon. Remember that CCing at all without a CWP is a crime ad its the CWP that exempts you from the law.

One could also argue that both CC and OC are really just shortened versions of CCW and OCW and that the W for weapon is dropped because its implied that one is talking about a weapon. Weapon is the noun you're talking about with concealed/open describing how your carrying it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't agree with people that say that CCW is a bad term. While you need a CWP or whatever your state calls the license, the weapon itself is still a CCW as its a concealed carried weapon. Remember that CCing at all without a CWP is a crime ad its the CWP that exempts you from the law.

One could also argue that both CC and OC are really just shortened versions of CCW and OCW and that the W for weapon is dropped because its implied that one is talking about a weapon. Weapon is the noun you're talking about with concealed/open describing how your carrying it.

Words are important - they convey meaning.

CCW is not a bad term, but it is in many cases inaccurate. In Va. the correct acronym would be a CHP

The weapon (handgun) itself is definitely NOT a CCW. What if I'm OCing? You are saying that it is a concealed carry weapon carried openly - I don't think so. The handgun is independent of any attributes that make it concealed or open carried.

CCing w/o a permit is NOT in and of itself a crime. There are 4 states now where permits are not required to CC. In other states a permit is not needed in your home, business or when hunting or fishing.

Where a permit is required to legally conceal, possession of a permit does not exempt one from the law, but provides an exception to the law making in otherwise illegal.

kcgunfan

Actually, much to the chagrin of another poster who is on a crusade to end the use of "CCW," in at least one State, it is the acronym the State uses to refer to the license. Also, the abbreviation also stands for "concealed carry weapon," the concealed firearm itself, not just the crime.

That would be Missouri. And, we have no crime called "Concealed carry of a weapon" for that matter. Illegal concealed carry is covered under the crime "Unlawful use of a weapon"

HandyHamlet

In order for the media to sell ad space they create buzz words or terms to attract the attention of the brain dead, drooling, gap mouthed zombie hordes. The more they dumb it down the more zombies they hook. The more zombies they hook the more they charge for ad space.

The end.

Last edited:

beebobby

Death panels. Seriously, politicians have folks working for them that do nothing but come up with buzz words/phrases for policies or laws that they want to promote or stop.

bomber

because it is a loophole in the law that is routinely exploited at gun shows

and because its catchy

Last edited:

SteyrAUG

Media buzzword.

They come up with the terms that suit their own particular agenda, the average ordinary American who doesn't take the time to think for himself parrots the terms and furthers the agenda.