• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Park Carry.

VW_Factor

This question came up. While I am pretty positive it is allowed, I think I understand it as such..

Non licensed people must carry unloaded in a State Park, and CHL holders are preempted and carry any way they wish. I am not finding it anywhere that would prohibit carry in a State Park otherwise..

Became a question as I was told a CHL was teaching that it is against the law to carry in a State Park period.

Any insight here in case I am missing something?

Cremator75

I don't have an exact answer, but I know a couple years ago the state parks were going around changing their signs to say" no illegal discharge of firearms" instead of "no firearms".

I did a quick search and could not find the info you are looking for, but I have a CHL, so as you said it pretty much exempts you from any lame statutes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but open carry is legal in Oregon so as long as a person without a CHL was open carrying wouldn't they be legal on public land just like any other public property?

FYI - IANAL

Last edited:

VW_Factor

After hearing back from an email to OFF, and reading through the 166 section again... Yeah.. There isn't anything preventing carry in any way regarding state parks in Oregon. :)

Edit : I guess I should mention, lawful wise there is nothing against it. I suppose I should offer the um... IANAL and junk such as that.

Last edited:

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
I looked at handgunlaw.us for oregon and they state:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf
Carry Allowed in these Areas:
State Parks: YES Admin Rule736-010-0040
State/National Forests: YES Per OR Dept of Forestry
WMA’s: YES Per OR Dept of Forestry
Road Side Rest Areas: YES 166.37

Oregon
http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_700/OAR_736/736_010.html
736-010-0040 Visitor conduct states:
(8) A person may not engage in the following activities in park areas:
(n) Discharging any firearm, bow and arrow, slingshot, pellet gun, or other weapon capable of injuring humans or wildlife or damaging property, except in those park area locations and for those purposes specified in OAR 736-010-0055(7);

Looks like they only regulate the discharging of a firearm.

hermannr

Maybe you can get the OR Legislature to add the words we have here in WA. Handgun exemption for self protection.

WA's prohibition against ATV carry was in the game laws not the traffic law..It is still illegal to have a loaded rifle or shotgun in/on a "vehicle" or to shoot from a "vehicle", but a pistol for self protection is OK.