• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Question(s)

repomasterstl

I posted on other site as well, seeking help for understanding

I am doing some research for franklin county about open carry laws within cities in this county. I came across St. Clair and I am not too sure how to read if it is/or isn't allowed. Copied from Source.

St. Clair, MO
Sec. 16-7. Concealed weapons.
Any person who shall carry concealed on or about his person any firearm, bowie knife, dirk, dagger, razor, slungshot, metal knuckles or other dangerous weapons of any kind or who shall flourish any pistol, or other firearm or any other deadly weapon within the city shall be deemed guilty of an offense; this section shall not apply to any peace officer in the discharge of his duties.
(Ord. No. 102, § 4, 12-1-30)
State law references: Dangerous and concealed weapons, RSMo 571.030.
http://library3.municode.com/default...ction=whatsnew

Also in parks it says no Firearms

Pacific is ok to open carry but says no to parks?

http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/pacific-slp/

What do you guys read into the st. Clair ordinance, I am compling a list for Franklin county with Eureka included (my most traveled areas) and you guys are welcomed to it but I need clarification on the St. Clair.

kcgunfan

I am doing some research for franklin county about open carry laws within cities in this county. I came across St. Clair and I am not too sure how to read if it is/or isn't allowed. Copied from Source.

St. Clair, MO
Sec. 16-7. Concealed weapons.
Any person who shall carry concealed on or about his person any firearm, bowie knife, dirk, dagger, razor, slungshot, metal knuckles or other dangerous weapons of any kind or who shall flourish any pistol, or other firearm or any other deadly weapon within the city shall be deemed guilty of an offense; this section shall not apply to any peace officer in the discharge of his duties.
(Ord. No. 102, § 4, 12-1-30)
State law references: Dangerous and concealed weapons, RSMo 571.030.
http://library3.municode.com/default...ction=whatsnew

Also in parks it says no Firearms

Pacific is ok to open carry but says no to parks?

http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/pacific-slp/

What do you guys read into the st. Clair ordinance, I am compling a list for Franklin county with Eureka included (my most traveled areas) and you guys are welcomed to it but I need clarification on the St. Clair.

It looks like St. Clair is OK for OC, since it's not mentioned specifically, and anything that is not made illegal is by definition legal. Also, if you have a CCW endorsement, you can carry concealed anywhere permitted by federal law. it would be good to review the restrictions in RSMo 571.107 though, it's technically not illegal, but going into places you're not authorized to will not produce good will for the OC movement. Some other people here will disagree with my last sentence. That's fine with me.

The "no firearms in parks" rule to apply to open carry only, they cannot prohibit open carry of firearms anywhere except where RSMo 571.107 permits them and open spaces are not one of those places.

Now, just because they can't doesn't mean they don't think they can. And, they may arrest you and make your life difficult. And, as with anything else, IANAL.

sohighlyunlikely

Flourished (Give me a break)

or who shall flourish any pistol, or other firearm or any other deadly weapon within the city shall be deemed guilty of an offense;

What do you guys read into the st. Clair ordinance, I am compiling a list for Franklin county with Eureka included (my most traveled areas) and you guys are welcomed to it but I need clarification on the St. Clair.

By my reading. And I would bet that I have read more firearms codes then 99.9% of people. I would consider OC in St Clair as a misdemeanor offense. It would not take much stretching to encompass an openly carried firearm as one that is flourished. Flourished just doesn't have a set legal definition and there for could easily used to include OC. That is one poorly written law. But I have seen even worse ones.

Doc

kcgunfan

By my reading. And I would bet that I have read more firearms codes then 99.9% of people. I would consider OC in St Clair as a misdemeanor offense. It would not take much stretching to encompass an openly carried firearm as one that is flourished. Flourished just doesn't have a set legal definition and there for could easily used to include OC. That is one poorly written law. But I have seen even worse ones.

Doc

I'm not going to argue with Doc. He's played this game a lot longer than I have. I knew that flourishing probably wasn't defined anywhere. But, it's usual dictionary definition tends to be to wave dramatically, or to use grand gestures. In that case, I would think that flourishing would be even harder to prove than brandishing. But, you would likely need a test case to prove it. So, unless you have a barrel full of 50 dollar bills, you might want to not push it.

Article1section23

Boy...you ain't kidding - Give me a break! There is nothing in that ordinance that prohibits OC. Period. Words are given their ordinary meaning and it’s not poorly written. Perhaps some of the .1% of people just don't understand what they are reading?

sohighlyunlikely

Well

Boy...you ain't kidding - Give me a break! There is nothing in that ordinance that prohibits OC. Period. Words are given their ordinary meaning and it’s not poorly written. Perhaps some of the .1% of people just don't understand what they are reading?

Well sense you asked I will break it down for you.

Flourished as is written in the 15 uses for the word per the dictionary. 2 of the definitions.
1. an act or instance of brandishing,
2. an ostentatious display.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/flourish

Ostentatious is also written into the definition for brandish. So lets look at it's meaning.
1. characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others:
2. (of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ostentatiously

If you can not see the logic that a street cop or 2A unfriendly prosecute will use in making the shoe fit then there is no use no use in further discussing this with you.

Doc

Article1section23

Well sense you asked I will break it down for you.

Flourished as is written in the 15 uses for the word per the dictionary. 2 of the definitions.
1. an act or instance of brandishing,
2. an ostentatious display.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/flourish

Ostentatious is also written into the definition for brandish. So lets look at it's meaning.
1. characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others:
2. (of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ostentatiously

If you can not see the logic that a street cop or 2A unfriendly prosecute will use in making the shoe fit then there is no use no use in further discussing this with you.

Doc

It appears you don't have a grasp of the english language.