• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Explain to the Ignorant..."A firearm is like a fire extinguisher".

TopShotChip

A firearm is like a fire extinguisher.
It's an inanimate object...neither to be loved or hated.
We know there's potentially fatal contents in it, but when used properly, it can save lives. There's a fire department who is tasked with the job of answering your emergency, but most intelligent people still have a fire extinguisher in their home, office, and some in their car. It's important to know how to use it properly. It's important that everyone in the house that's old enough to use it, knows how to use it.
We hope we never have to use it, but in the event of an emergency, we're glad that it's there.

Finally, when talking to the ignorant...ask them how they would feel if they lived in a state where the only people who carried fire extinguishers were the fire department, and the people who start fires. Ask them if they'd prefer that a loved one or they themselves would have to be at the mercy of flames and smoke slowly taking the life from their bodies, because the state says a fire extinguisher is too dangerous for a law abiding citizen to have in their home. I think even the ignorant would agree, we have a right to protect ourselves, and it shouldn't be denied.

A firearm is just like a fire extinguisher. A law abiding citizen is ignorant not to have one, and not to know how to properly use one.

- chip

Fallschirjmäger

I recall reading that in at least one location in the UK, fire[strike]arms[/strike] extinguishers were outlawed.
I believe it was because it might cause people to try and fight [strike]back[/strike] small fires themselves instead of calling on the professionals.

The strike-through is just for fun, but the banning of fire extinguishers is a real item.

Last edited:

j4l

Good one. I've actually tried to use that one-though not in those exact words-to my anti-gun parents/friends,etc.
Waste of breath,most of the time. Most antis are ignorant and intend to stay that way.
Natural Selection, at work. Mother Nature owns all.

sraacke

The problem I have with this arguement is, sure people may keep a fire extinguisher in thier home or car but how many feel the need to walk around with one strapped to their hip? Same with a first aid kit or defibrillator.

Kirbinator

You can call AAA and wait for them to send someone out with a tow truck loaded with everything to tow the car, repair a tire, or just put the spare on. Or, you can reach into the trunk and pick up the wrench and do it yourself.

Now... which are you going to do when seconds count?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Good argument, it is incredibly logical, yet will it make no sense to an anti for obvious reasons (they are illogical:) This is honestly one of the best ways to explain the argument that I have heard in awhile. Thanks.

Xulld

The problem I have with this arguement is, sure people may keep a fire extinguisher in thier home or car but how many feel the need to walk around with one strapped to their hip? Same with a first aid kit or defibrillator.
They are both in case of an emergency, the analogy ends there, thankfully fires rarely chase after you, and never try to shoot you, or rob you.