• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Moving to NC

mr_moose

If I were to move to NC eastern coast area. I know when your a resident of NC you need to get a PPP from the Sheriff but how does this affect someone who moves to NC and already owns handguns. I assume one is not needed for a long gun?

Thanks in Advance,

Tim

Northerner

PPP is not needed for a long gun. Only the NICS check.

Regarding a PPP for what you own now and will bring into NC, simple answer is NO. A PPP is a Pistol Purchase Permit. You are not purchasing these already owned firearms. I can't cite it right now (I am sure the group will fill in the gaps) but I believe you don't need to notify LEO either.

LEOs don't stop and ask for a PPP if you are carrying openly (although most non-gun folks think it is required). He or she, if there is RS will run your name and perhaps the serial #, but without RS, most areas of the State, you won't be challenged or harrassed open carrying, again at least be LEO.

Now for peace of mind and perhaps ease of getting around NC open carrying (i.e., a car), if you have an OH Concealed Handgun Permit, it would be recognized in NC, at least until you establish permanent residence and perhaps obtain a NC CHP. But again, a person, being legally able and law abiding, can still open carry without a PPP or CHP.

Confusing? If I missed anything regarding your question, just wait a few posts and you will be set straight.

Welcome to NC.

Last edited:

rotorhead

Northerner pretty much summed it up.

No permit is needed to carry openly in the state, although there are restrictions dealing with where you can carry. You do not need to notify anyone when you move in with guns, assuming none of them are machine guns. Our Pistol Purchase Permit is just that- a permit required for purchasing pistols, not for carrying them, and not for purchasing rifles.. You also do not need to register your guns, either.

mr_moose

Thanks for the replies guys! I do appreciate it. Will be moving this summer. I had heard crossbows were reserved for disabled? I know in Ohio we have no restrictions but I do use a crossbow due to disability. I also have a medical statement to that fact if needed.

Tim

hotrod08

You do not need to notify anyone when you move in with guns, assuming none of them are machine guns.

Durham County is the only county in NC that requires Handgun registration.

So, if You were to move to Eastern Carolina coastal area you should be in the clear.

IANAL.

chiefjason

Thanks for the replies guys! I do appreciate it. Will be moving this summer. I had heard crossbows were reserved for disabled? I know in Ohio we have no restrictions but I do use a crossbow due to disability. I also have a medical statement to that fact if needed.

Tim

No, they recently changed it. Crossbows are legal during regular archery season now.

As far as the guns, just bring em with you.

sultan62

The law requiring a PPP for a crossbow came in at the same time as the law allowing anyone to hunt with a crossbow, IIRC.