• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mayor of Maplewood, MO says that 2a is "irresponible"

zekester

Last edited:

eye95

"The open carry of a firearm is allowed by the second amendment, but it is also completely irresponsible and an affront to most citizens today," White said

http://maplewood-brentwood.patch.com/articles/open-carry-ban-passes-with-emergency-provision...

Another person who thinks that fundamental rights, as they existed at the time of the Framing, can disappear as times change. If that is the case, then there are no fundamental rights except the right of the more powerful to exert his will on the less powerful.

Last edited:

zekester

The best response to the article

This is from Chris..I fowarded it to the Mayor...

"What in the world is this supposed to mean, Mayor White?

(Quote from Mayor White - "The open carry of a firearm is allowed by the second amendment, but it is also completely irresponsible and an affront to most citizens today,")

Is he saying that the Second Amendment is subject to his whim, that it is invalid, and subject to be usurped by local politicians who have an anti-gun agenda? Clearly Mr. White does not understand the Constitution and is in no way qualified to discuss it or any of its amendments. If Mr. White had a clue, he would understand that those amendments weren't added to protect the opinion of the majority, but rather, they were added to protect the opinion of the minority from over-reaching politicians and mob rule.

Sorry to inform you, Mayor White, but we don't live in a democracy. We live in a Democratic Republic and we have a very specific and very implicit rule book by which we govern. It's called the Constitution. Get a clue."

I think we should all do the same...thanks Chris!!

Last edited:

c45man

maple where???

Yes, the rest of the country hangs on ever word that this nowhere mayor yammers out. I suppose that the town and their irrelevant mayor deserve each other.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Good Grief!

Their logic is so warped and twisted it's pathetic. Take the following quote as an example:

"Today a Maplewood police officer would generally not be able to stop an individual with an open carry to determine his or her identification. Unfortunately, in many cases, the officer can only take action after the individual has committed a crime with the weapon and this is simply not acceptable. We as government officials have the right and authority to legislate such conduct, and to me it would be a violation of our oath of office not to protect the majority of our citizens who do not approve of open carry."

Three questions:

Mayor James White says when a person is OCing, officers are unable to stop them and determine their identification.

1. However, when a person is CCing, whether legally or illegally, how is the officer going to know they're carrying at all?

At least with OC, they know the individual is armed.

2. What need exists to determine the identification of a law-abiding citizen engaged in a lawful activity?

This is just ridiculous (slippery slope), akin to someone claiming they "need" to stop all drivers to ascertain their identity simply because they're driving one to three ton vehicles whose accidental death rate is more than 20 times greater than that for firearms.

3. How does disapproval of a law-abiding activity translate into a need for protection from that law-abiding activity?

This too is ridiculous (faulty premise). Since OC is a lawful activity in the state of Missouri, a law-abiding citizen who engages in the lawful activity of OC is NO threat to other citizens. Zero. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

I could spend an hour deconstructing the mayor's comments with a rigorous analysis involving logical fallacy. Suffice it to say that when it comes to law-abiding citizens exercising their Constitutional rights under the Second Amendment, the mayor is "conceptually challenged."

Missourans are in desperate need of a change to their state laws so as to allow Constitutional carry and preempt backwater anti-Constitutionalists such as those running the town of Maplewood.

sharkey

This is the first actual strike against gun right I have heard in a while. It goes against the trend of good fortune we've had.

zekester

May mean nothing to you!

Yes, the rest of the country hangs on ever word that this nowhere mayor yammers out. I suppose that the town and their irrelevant mayor deserve each other.

But I have not heard of half the places on this forum, but, the facts remain..This mayor has taken upon his self to circumvent the constitution. Only the people of the State can vote on a constituional change...

This may be a little city ....but if they all follow suit....where will you be!!!

Z

BillMCyrus

C'mon guys, have a little sympathy. What the mayor means by saying this is that he's tired of his job and needs to be voted out as soon as possible, by recall if that can be done sooner. He's obviously no longer interested in serving the people and he expresses this by opposing essential individual rights. Help him out if you can, as he's a poor miserable soul in need of retirement and never to be seen in public office of any kind ever again.