Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Incident In Seabrook Sam's Club

Exclamation Open Carry Incident In Seabrook Sam's Club

I went to Sams in Seabrook today and went inside, and the door greeter didn't have a problem with me OCing, or at least he did say anything. After I got some lunch, I went and got a cart, and there was a different "greeter" there. He said I needed to cover it up because it isn't legal to carry it like that. I asked if he was a manager, and he said no he wasn't. I then told him that he was wrong and that it is legal to Open Carry in NH. I said I would be breaking the law if I did cover it because I don't have a CC permit yet. He then told me he didn't care, and that he was a cop about 20 years ago and that I don't know what I'm talking about . After that he said he's done talking to me, so I said fine and after I was done shopping, I went to the manager who said he didn't know much about the situation because it's never occurred before while he was on duty. I kept my cool during the whole situation, and he said that he would speak to the employee after he (the manager) did some research. So I'll continue to OC in Sams when I shop considering the manager didn't mind me carrying.

jrd929:

The Second Greetor was an IDIOT!

aadvark

well yeah, He was trying to explain to me that it was still okay to conceal my firearm AFTER I told him I don't have a concealed carry permit. I figured he was too far gone to try and educate, or he was anti gunner from Mass, which I was expecting to run into considering almost every car in the lot around that time had a Mass plate.

Anytime anyone tells you that you should do something, based on "I was a cop!", chances are the closest that person ever was to a badge was being a dog catcher -- volunteer, because they loved the job for the thrill of it.

No NH cop would ever believe that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Anytime anyone tells you that you should do something, based on "I was a cop!", chances are the closest that person ever was to a badge was being a dog catcher -- volunteer, because they loved the job for the thrill of it.

"I was a cop" isn't even an issue. It all came from a Wally World greeter. That is more of an issue. Personally, I would have laughed out loud and kept on walking.

Oh was most likely a cop somewhere, and was most likely a bonehead there too.
    Last edited by Rattrapper; 04-15-2011 at 09:01 AM.

If he did know what he was talking about, I would think he would have stuck around to defend his position when the manager showed up, but when that happen, he couldn't get out of there any faster. I plan on going back around the same time either today or tomorrow.

"Oh, you were A cop 20 years ago? Well then, you obviously know laws NEVER, EVER CHANGE, do they? Good thing you were a cop back when it was illegal for black people to drink out of the same water fountains. It means you must be right on top of the latest ordinances, since they're written in stone, huh?"

I went back to Sam's Club today around the same time as yesterday and there was a different greeter, and no one else in the store had a problem. The store manager saw it and didn't say anything. I'll be back down there maybe Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Claytron View Post
    Going there looking for trouble?
    Nope, I take care of someone with special needs so that is the only time I can go, and I live close by.

"Greeters" are one step below janitorial help. If he was a cop, it wasn't in NH. Problem with Seabrook is the stench from the PDR of MA wafts up there from time to time. If the clown was a cop, it was probably there where they don't bother with things like constitutional rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    "Greeters" are one step below janitorial help. If he was a cop, it wasn't in NH. Problem with Seabrook is the stench from the PDR of MA wafts up there from time to time. If the clown was a cop, it was probably there where they don't bother with things like constitutional rights.

Yeah, Southern NH is basically northern Mass, example: Boston-Manchester Regional Airport?

I went back today and the same grumpy old greeter (who claims he was a cop 20 years ago) was there that had a problem with me OCing. He didn't say anything this time, but a friend I brought along said that he heard a customer telling the manager that they were uncomfy with me carrying a gun, and the manager told the customer that there is nothing he can do because open carry is legal in NH. Just hearing that makes me proud to live in NH

Actually the manager can do something. Under Wal-Mart/Sam's policy, if it's making customers uncomfortable or causing a disruption, he can ask you to leave.

He chose not to do anything about it, which is a good thing!

Actually the manager can do something. Under Wal-Mart/Sam's policy, if it's making customers uncomfortable or causing a disruption, he can ask you to leave.

He chose not to do anything about it, which is a good thing!
    Yeah, I know they can ask me to cover it up or leave, but it's great to know that the manager of that store is comfortable with his customers OCing.

Thumbs up

Thats great news. I live down the street from Sams club, but to tell you the truth I havnt OC'd around here at all. I'm a bit reluctant because of the MA border and all the MA people that shop around here. I guess I'm trying to avoid a MWG call or a confrontation with the store clerks. I'm glad you had no issue and the store manager was good about it. I may try Ocing in Sams this spring sometime. I always wonder how many calls the police get in Seabrook from Massholes about a MWG. I'm glad your exercising your rights!

Quote Originally Posted by MagsH2 View Post
    Snip...
    I'm a bit reluctant because of the MA border and all the MA people that shop around here. I guess I'm trying to avoid a MWG call or a confrontation with the store clerks. I'm glad you had no issue and the store manager was good about it. I may try Ocing in Sams this spring sometime. I always wonder how many calls the police get in Seabrook from Massholes about a MWG. I'm glad your exercising your rights!
    F'em!

Thats great news. I live down the street from Sams club, but to tell you the truth I havnt OC'd around here at all. I'm a bit reluctant because of the MA border and all the MA people that shop around here. I guess I'm trying to avoid a MWG call or a confrontation with the store clerks. I'm glad you had no issue and the store manager was good about it. I may try Ocing in Sams this spring sometime. I always wonder how many calls the police get in Seabrook from Massholes about a MWG. I'm glad your exercising your rights!
    Who cares about their side of the border; just stay on ours. I've stood 10 ft into Nashua on rt 3 with a OC'ing with a sign, "Welcome to NH, Guns are LEGAL here; Don't like it turn around." and stood there waving at drivers for an hour.

Not to get off topic, but can out of staters OC in NH like Vermont allows?? I have a CT permit to carry (CC or OC). Just curious as i'll be spending time in the area this summer. Thnxs....

Quote Originally Posted by USAR-VET View Post
    Not to get off topic, but can out of staters OC in NH like Vermont allows?? I have a CT permit to carry (CC or OC). Just curious as i'll be spending time in the area this summer. Thnxs....
    You can OC, but you can't CC. You also cannot OC in a vehicle without a license.

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    You can OC, but you can't CC. You also cannot OC in a vehicle without a license.
    Or have it loaded in a vehicle without a license.

Ok, thanks guys. Sounds like I can have an unloaded gun in the car, and when out of the car, you can then load it, and OC. Is this correct? Thanks again.

VET

You got it!

Quote Originally Posted by USAR-VET View Post
    Ok, thanks guys. Sounds like I can have an unloaded gun in the car, and when out of the car, you can then load it, and OC. Is this correct? Thanks again.

VET
    Yes, but some cops will take having a magazine outside but near a firearm as loaded....mainly because of the wording in the law... "A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges"

"with" has been in the past taken to taken to include anywhere when both are within reach.

Since then I have OCed in Sams MANY times and have had no more problems with customers or employees. I have been in the store many times where, according to the cars in the lot, Mass residents far outnumbered NH residents in the store, and still not had a problem, and no police encounters. I'll continue to OC there for the foreseeable future, Massholes or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast