Thread: NC is a gold star state?

Question NC is a gold star state?

Last time I was here NC was listed as an OC-friendly state because it was not illegal according to statute law. Now it's listed as gold star but I don't see any difference on the state page. Can someone please fill me in?

mattwestm
    Some of us here wonder the same thing. Why is Alabama an OC Friendly state, but NC a gold star state? You can carry pretty much anywhere in AL, but NC has several restrictions. Some of the maps on the site need to be updated anyways.

I like to say NC is a gold star* state.

*: we have a lot of confusing and vague laws that have involved us debating what they mean, and how to go about making sure we're all 'in the clear' when carrying
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
    I like to say NC is a gold star* state.

*: we have a lot of confusing and vague laws that have involved us debating what they mean, and how to go about making sure we're all 'in the clear' when carrying
    VA has statute-protected OC (correct me if I'm wrong) and we don't but both states are gold star? Doesn't seem right to me.

Rating system is possibly based on the fact that OC is either completely statutory legal, or legal if you do this this and that, or illegal by statute law.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

We have firm case law to support OC. IIRC, state v kerner had a lot to do with the change. Although the law is like 100 yrs old. It's above my pay grade.

well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    Some of us here wonder the same thing. Why is Alabama an OC Friendly state, but NC a gold star state? You can carry pretty much anywhere in AL, but NC has several restrictions. Some of the maps on the site need to be updated anyways.
    alabama repuires a permit to carry a loaded gun in your car.

north carolina does not require a permit, as long as the loaded gun is "clearly visible"

these differances seem to be the the "frindly" and the "gold" in many states.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Moderator / Administrator

See the definitions of state designation by clicking on the legend

for example, Gold Star is defined as "Generally preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles without a license; localities generally preempted."

well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    for example, Gold Star is defined as "Generally preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles without a license; localities generally preempted."
    real good point, BUT!!
    North carolina doesnt have preemption! but OC and loaded car carry is AOK!
    alabama does have preemption, but requires a permit for loaded car carry!
    my state, washington, has preemption, but a permit is required for loaded car carry!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!