• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC is a gold star state?

Gilly

Last time I was here NC was listed as an OC-friendly state because it was not illegal according to statute law. Now it's listed as gold star but I don't see any difference on the state page. Can someone please fill me in?

M

mattwestm

Some of us here wonder the same thing. Why is Alabama an OC Friendly state, but NC a gold star state? You can carry pretty much anywhere in AL, but NC has several restrictions. Some of the maps on the site need to be updated anyways.

elixin77

I like to say NC is a gold star* state.

*: we have a lot of confusing and vague laws that have involved us debating what they mean, and how to go about making sure we're all 'in the clear' when carrying

Gilly

I like to say NC is a gold star* state.

*: we have a lot of confusing and vague laws that have involved us debating what they mean, and how to go about making sure we're all 'in the clear' when carrying

VA has statute-protected OC (correct me if I'm wrong) and we don't but both states are gold star? Doesn't seem right to me.

elixin77

Rating system is possibly based on the fact that OC is either completely statutory legal, or legal if you do this this and that, or illegal by statute law.

chiefjason

We have firm case law to support OC. IIRC, state v kerner had a lot to do with the change. Although the law is like 100 yrs old. It's above my pay grade.

1245A Defender

well,,,

Some of us here wonder the same thing. Why is Alabama an OC Friendly state, but NC a gold star state? You can carry pretty much anywhere in AL, but NC has several restrictions. Some of the maps on the site need to be updated anyways.

alabama repuires a permit to carry a loaded gun in your car.

north carolina does not require a permit, as long as the loaded gun is "clearly visible"

these differances seem to be the the "frindly" and the "gold" in many states.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
See the definitions of state designation by clicking on the legend

for example, Gold Star is defined as "Generally preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles without a license; localities generally preempted."

1245A Defender

well,,,

for example, Gold Star is defined as "Generally preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles without a license; localities generally preempted."

real good point, BUT!!
North carolina doesnt have preemption! but OC and loaded car carry is AOK!
alabama does have preemption, but requires a permit for loaded car carry!
my state, washington, has preemption, but a permit is required for loaded car carry!