• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police use Assault Weapons and Tank against Home School Mom...

T

TWG2A

This REEKS....

This REEKS of what Billary, Reno and the rest of their evil goons pulled at WACO.

MK

This is tough. You hear about the horror stories when Protective Services don't do enough and refuse to pull a child out of the home when there is reason to worry that the child could be in serious harm's way and on the flip side, you see cases where there appears to be too much meddling and forceful actions against a family. These people working in these departments have a very tough and thankless job. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Personally, I am appalled at the thought of government agencies trumping parental rights and forcing their way into a family's medical choices except in the most extreme life and death circumstances. If there is one thing that is more important to me than any law or my country and Constitution, its my family. If I felt I were to have a child taken, I could very easily become extremely venemous.

We will probably be homeschooling our 4 year old due to some of the meddling done in regards to one of our older children at our local high school. We were accused of possibly malnourishing our son because he was too damn lazy to pack a lunch to school and the school was upset because he was hungry at lunchtime and they would charge him meals. I told them I wasn't paying for those meals and to quit charging them. We have plenty of good wholesome foods to eat and our other child had no problems packing her lunch and explained to them that my son was so lazy he'd probably lay in the yard and starve to death before he put forth the effort to make a sandwhich.

Its pretty upsetting to know that you are a very good parent, to know that everyone who knows you personally agrees that you are a good parent yet have some outside governmental body try to insinuate you aren't when they only have seen the smallest piece of a puzzle to extrapolate their condemnations from.

I feel bad for this lady that she ever agreed to allow her kid to leave her protection and try to mix in with such a meddling outside world. It works fine for alot of people but sometimes, in some situations, its best to do as much raising, nurturing and teaching of your own children as possible especially when they have special needs that you are more than likely to understand much more than any other 9-5 stranger who tries to involve themselves into your family's life.

Claytron

Ain't LEs fault. They must respond even if the reports/warrants/requests are proven to be illegal later, in a court of law.

LE did what was required. Based on the reports, LE went way way beyond what they could have done by letting all those "civilians" attempt to talk her out of the house. Herculean restraint by LE in this specific case, +100 to LE on this one.

The same LEA may very well be going after those who started this in the first place....sweet irony that would be.

By the way, how many LEOs thought that doing that action really sucked cuz they learned that CPS may be wrong and knew they had to act anyway? How many LEOs could sympathize with the mother? Sometimes it really sucks to do your job as a LEO when what you are doing may not feel morally right.

If the weapons charge(s) are correct she will be toast unless a jury lets her off do to extenuating circumstances. Or the DA/PA could give her a pass and not prosecute due to the public outcry.

I really would not doubt that there was never any shot fired by the woman and in fact the officers were just trumping up false **** in order to try and justify this incredibly idiotic and over zealous attempt at retrieving a child.

They never fully explain the charges filed in situation like this and im guessing thats because in general they are ******** charges that the officers have to fully "flush out" with eachother before they decide what their story will be.

It says she was charged with felonius assault.... for what? for "allegedly" discharging a gun in the "alleged" direction of an officer? Sounds like BS after BS after BS, followed shortly thereafter by an official thin blue line of BS.

stuckinchico

CHild protective services

Is a joke and needs to be renamed Child Endangerment Services. I know this personally because they removed my kids cuz i paddled them. Its not illegal, how ever the abuse my child are receiving from the social workers is illegal . There is another government agency that needs to disappear along with ATF

sudden valley gunner

We will probably be homeschooling our 4 year old due to some of the meddling done in regards to one of our older children at our local high school. We were accused of possibly malnourishing our son because he was too damn lazy to pack a lunch to school and the school was upset because he was hungry at lunchtime and they would charge him meals. I told them I wasn't paying for those meals and to quit charging them. We have plenty of good wholesome foods to eat and our other child had no problems packing her lunch and explained to them that my son was so lazy he'd probably lay in the yard and starve to death before he put forth the effort to make a sandwhich.

What! How irresponsible of you try to teach a kid to be responsible! (Sarcasm)

since9

Campaign Veteran
My Letter to My Congressman

Dear Honorable Congressman Lamborn:

I was shocked to read of the illegal antics of the Detroit Child Protective Services in this article: http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/po...-protect-daughter-from-dangerous-medications/

The story boils down to a child who required her lower leg to be amputated due to a medical condition, and who, as a result, stayed home and was home-schooled by her mother. When she reached middle school age, she wanted to attend public school, received the appropriate vaccinations, and had adverse behavioral reactions as a result. She was put on a dangerous psychotropic drug that is NOT FDA-approved, and had further bad reactions to that drug. When her mother weaned her off that drug, and rightfully so, Detroit Child Protective Services stepped in, having obtained a warrent to remove the child because the mother was witholding the dangerous medication to which her daughter had adversely reacted.

When they arrived with a slew of police, things went from bad to worse, in part due to the poor way the mother and father handled the situation.

Regardless, Child Protective Services should NEVER have been able to obtain a warrent to remove the child from the home based on the fact that the mother witheld a dangerous psychotropic drug that was causing bad reactions when that drug was NOT even approved by the FDA.

I experienced a similar incident while stationed in Yongsan, Korea, in Seoul. My son jumped our balcony (four feet) and ran around the corner where he was spotted by the area coordinator before we could catch up with him. Instead of handling the situation appropriately, she reported us for negligence. Both my supervisor and my commander (an O-6) went to bat for my wife and I, as they knew us personally.

Didn't matter. Rationality was not the rule of the day, and we were cited for negligence and required to attend "training sessions."

In both situations, this is a clear case of overcontrol on the part of a governmental agency, and smacks of abuse of whatever authority has been given to them. In both cases, they cared nothing about the facts surrounding the situation.

In my situation, they turned a blind eye to the entire situation, except for one fact, that my son was further than 50' from us at the time he was spotted, which violated an obscure base regulation. It didn't matter that we were chasing after him. As per the misguided (in my opinion) regulation, we were guilty. My principle complaint was that absolutely ZERO amount of rational thought or sound judgement was introduced by ANYONE in the entire chain of command, much less the staff at the 12th Medical Group who made their decision as to culpability of negligence.

Result: Their adverse decision killed our plans for adoption, and the stress thereof was a direct and significant component in the dissolution of my marriage.

Getting back to the article, here we have a mother and father who clearly love their daughter, with the father supporting the family on his own while the mother stayed home to care for, nurture, and home school her daughter. They cared for their child so much, in fact, that when the child was having an adverse reaction to a dangerous psychotropic drug that was NOT FDA-approved, they removed her from that drug.

I seriously doubt the interest of Detroit Child Protective Services involved protecting the child. Rather, it appears to me to be a clear case of abuse of authority, in this instance, simply to make a point that they have more authority over the child than do the parents.

Result: The mom is in jail with bail set at $500,000.

Congressman Lamborn, I fully understand the need for Child Protective Services. Children cannot protect themselves from bad or evil parents who cause them harm.

But what government agency out there protects children and their parents from bad or evil Child Protective Service agencies? Robert A. Heinlein was a Naval Academy graduate who was instrumental in WW II's nuclear effort, and who became the most successful science fiction author ever after the war. He did so because he had an understanding of human nature that far surpassed that of his peers.

Heinlein once asked, "Quis Custodet Ipsos Custodiet?" which translates into "Who Will Guard the Guardians?" He often used it in the context of "who will police the guardians?" i.e. protect citizens from segments of our government which do more harm to our citizens than good.

I ask you this: Is there ANYTHING you can do at the federal level to prevent agencies like these from trampling the rights of good, kind, and loving parents underfoot?

Had Detroit's Child Protective Services simply listened to the parents' concerns about the adverse reactions experienced by their child, had CPS simply been an advocate for the health of the child, rather than beating their drum of control and authority over the child, Detroit would have both a healthier child and a mom who wasn't in jail on half a million dollars of bail.

These abuses on the part of governmental agencies can NOT be allowed to continue. They're DESTROYING the families they purport to help.

Thank you for your time, Congressman Lamborn.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Is a joke and needs to be renamed Child Endangerment Services.

As Detroits CPS refused to listen to, much less address the concerns of the parent with respect to their daughter's adverse reactions to a dangerous psychotropic drug that is NOT FDA-approved, the result is Mom being in jail on $500,000 bail and wrongfully charged with multiple felonies, I would argue Detroit Child Protective Services needs to be renamed Detroit Family Destruction Services.

I know this personally because they removed my kids cuz i paddled them. Its not illegal, how ever the abuse my child are receiving from the social workers is illegal. There is another government agency that needs to disappear along with ATF

I disagree. My son was quite active when he was younger. As a result, I've crossed paths with four CPS agencies over the years. Of those, two sucked, big time, along the lines of Detroits. Two others, however, got it right.

The fact is, there are indeed bad parents out there who abuse and neglect their children, and it's the child who suffers. CPS exists to intervene in those cases. Of the two CPS agencies who got it right, they simply conducted a home visit, observed our neat and clean abode, our son crawling all over my wife and I in exuberant glee, asked us a couple of questions, thanked us for their time, and left.

Those two agencies were able to discriminate between good parents and bad parents, as well as the fact that our son was hyperactive when he was young. They asked us if we had him on any medication (no) but they did not suggest that we put him on meds, much less recommend it.

They certainly didn't try and force us to medicate him as did the Detroit CPS with the family mentioned in the article! That's just GROSS, and the reason I wrote my Congressman.

Dreamer

This is tough. You hear about the horror stories when Protective Services don't do enough and refuse to pull a child out of the home when there is reason to worry that the child could be in serious harm's way and on the flip side, you see cases where there appears to be too much meddling and forceful actions against a family. These people working in these departments have a very tough and thankless job. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

A recent report issued by the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) clearly concluded that a child in the custody of CPS is FIVE TIMES more likely to be sexually assaulted than a child in the "general population" with his/her natural family...

'Nuff sed...