Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Questionable open carry?

  1. #1
    Regular Member robin.kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    100

    Questionable open carry?

    I am planning on open carrying more as it seems its going to be another year or so before I can afford my conceal permit. I had open carry my XD in a pancake holster a few times but now looking to carry my Kel Tec P-3AT.

    However I am looking for a holster for the P3AT and looking at possible IWB carry such as DeSantis Sof Tuck. This will only should the grip and being such a small pistol it wont be very noticeable. So is this still open carry? or should I be concern about such carry?

    Also I was thinking about using a clip carry... would a clip carry be ok or does it have to be in a holster?

    Thank you,

    Kevin

  2. #2
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    I don't know if this is will be legal. I think anyone can argue (and probably win) that an IWB (inside waist band, correct?) gun would be concealed but partly exposed, not exposed but partly concealed.

    Because even with a full holster that shows just the grip the holster is still CLEARLY visible.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    I don't know if this is will be legal. I think anyone can argue (and probably win) that an IWB (inside waist band, correct?) gun would be concealed but partly exposed, not exposed but partly concealed.

    Because even with a full holster that shows just the grip the holster is still CLEARLY visible.
    Most IWB holsters do not cover any more of the handgun than the holster alone would - it is the holster that is being covered by the clothing. The same amount of gun is still visible.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Regular Member robin.kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    100
    Good point and I have been thinking about the retention of the gun as well. I don't worry about it to much due to extensive training that makes me aware of whats going on around me and how to react to it... however with that being said, crap happens. When it does happen I don't want to be the one unarmed.

    Seems it would behoove me to look into other options.
    Last edited by robin.kevin; 04-15-2011 at 03:35 PM.

  5. #5
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    i used to carry a kel tec 380 in a fobus paddle holster. decent retention and keeps it in plain view, and the gun is so small, there isnt much difference between that and iwb.,

  6. #6
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    My main OC holster is an IWB Galco Summer Comfort 2. I've never had any issues with it thus far.
    Last edited by neuroblades; 04-24-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Spelling.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  7. #7
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    id carry outside ur pants bc that gun is so small it would very eaasily become concealed. u can always get the iwb holster after u get ur ccw, because it is good to have several options for lil guns. but if u must buy iwb, galco king tuk is the best iwb holster i have used, i carry it with a glock 27 and it is very comfy. i have several summer comfort holsters and i love the king tuk compared.

  8. #8
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Most IWB holsters do not cover any more of the handgun than the holster alone would - it is the holster that is being covered by the clothing. The same amount of gun is still visible.
    Yes, but your gun stored completely in a gun case isn't cc but it is in a book bag. I would figure it would be how you display signs that you have a firearm than how you display the firearm itself.

  9. #9
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by robin.kevin View Post
    I am planning on open carrying more as it seems its going to be another year or so before I can afford my conceal permit. I had open carry my XD in a pancake holster a few times but now looking to carry my Kel Tec P-3AT.

    However I am looking for a holster for the P3AT and looking at possible IWB carry such as DeSantis Sof Tuck. This will only should the grip and being such a small pistol it wont be very noticeable. So is this still open carry? or should I be concern about such carry?

    Also I was thinking about using a clip carry... would a clip carry be ok or does it have to be in a holster?

    Thank you,

    Kevin
    I've heard (but haven't found it yet) there's a guy here in Michigan fighting an arrest for carrying concealed without a license, who was OCing with an IWB holster.

    I usually recommend against it, unless you have a permit/license that lets you carry concealed, as some LEOs and prosecutors have been known to look at IWB as attempting to conceal carry.

    And I wouldn't even think of using the retaining clip that Kel-Tec offers for their pistols, unless I had a concealed license. (Which I do. )

    I do miss Kentucky. I have to get down there again soon.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    I've heard (but haven't found it yet) there's a guy here in Michigan fighting an arrest for carrying concealed without a license, who was OCing with an IWB holster.

    I usually recommend against it, unless you have a permit/license that lets you carry concealed, as some LEOs and prosecutors have been known to look at IWB as attempting to conceal carry.

    And I wouldn't even think of using the retaining clip that Kel-Tec offers for their pistols, unless I had a concealed license. (Which I do. )

    I do miss Kentucky. I have to get down there again soon.
    On the other hand, a case in TX dealt with an IWB being OC'd, which is, incredibly, still not lawful there. I don't like anything about "clips." Why screw around? You can get a decent Fobus holster for $20, or a workable Uncle Mikes for $15.

  11. #11
    Regular Member robin.kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    100
    I went ahead and bought a nice leather holster from Barsony. For $30 bucks a nice hand craft holster with thumb break that after the past few days breaking in fits like a glove, I cant go wrong. It looks nice, will conceal well when I decide to get my permit and I feel its secure enough with the strap that it wont be taken out of the holster by anyone but myself.

    Thank you all for the advice on the topic.

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by robin.kevin View Post
    I went ahead and bought a nice leather holster from Barsony. For $30 bucks a nice hand craft holster with thumb break that after the past few days breaking in fits like a glove, I cant go wrong. It looks nice, will conceal well when I decide to get my permit and I feel its secure enough with the strap that it wont be taken out of the holster by anyone but myself.

    Thank you all for the advice on the topic.
    Interesting site - bookmarked it.
    http://www.barsonyholstersandbelts.c...let/StoreFront
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member robin.kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Yes it is, they also sell on ebay. Through ebay they offer free shipping so I saved about $4 going through ebay instead of their site.

    Heres a link to their ebay page, they are a family own business. I like supporting the little guy...
    http://stores.ebay.com/holstersandbelts

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •