• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questionable open carry?

robin.kevin

I am planning on open carrying more as it seems its going to be another year or so before I can afford my conceal permit. I had open carry my XD in a pancake holster a few times but now looking to carry my Kel Tec P-3AT.

However I am looking for a holster for the P3AT and looking at possible IWB carry such as DeSantis Sof Tuck. This will only should the grip and being such a small pistol it wont be very noticeable. So is this still open carry? or should I be concern about such carry?

Also I was thinking about using a clip carry... would a clip carry be ok or does it have to be in a holster?

Thank you,

Kevin

09jisaac

I don't know if this is will be legal. I think anyone can argue (and probably win) that an IWB (inside waist band, correct?) gun would be concealed but partly exposed, not exposed but partly concealed.

Because even with a full holster that shows just the grip the holster is still CLEARLY visible.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't know if this is will be legal. I think anyone can argue (and probably win) that an IWB (inside waist band, correct?) gun would be concealed but partly exposed, not exposed but partly concealed.

Because even with a full holster that shows just the grip the holster is still CLEARLY visible.

Most IWB holsters do not cover any more of the handgun than the holster alone would - it is the holster that is being covered by the clothing. The same amount of gun is still visible.

robin.kevin

Good point and I have been thinking about the retention of the gun as well. I don't worry about it to much due to extensive training that makes me aware of whats going on around me and how to react to it... however with that being said, crap happens. When it does happen I don't want to be the one unarmed.

Seems it would behoove me to look into other options.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
i used to carry a kel tec 380 in a fobus paddle holster. decent retention and keeps it in plain view, and the gun is so small, there isnt much difference between that and iwb.,

neuroblades

My main OC holster is an IWB Galco Summer Comfort 2. I've never had any issues with it thus far.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
id carry outside ur pants bc that gun is so small it would very eaasily become concealed. u can always get the iwb holster after u get ur ccw, because it is good to have several options for lil guns. but if u must buy iwb, galco king tuk is the best iwb holster i have used, i carry it with a glock 27 and it is very comfy. i have several summer comfort holsters and i love the king tuk compared.

09jisaac

Most IWB holsters do not cover any more of the handgun than the holster alone would - it is the holster that is being covered by the clothing. The same amount of gun is still visible.

Yes, but your gun stored completely in a gun case isn't cc but it is in a book bag. I would figure it would be how you display signs that you have a firearm than how you display the firearm itself.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I am planning on open carrying more as it seems its going to be another year or so before I can afford my conceal permit. I had open carry my XD in a pancake holster a few times but now looking to carry my Kel Tec P-3AT.

However I am looking for a holster for the P3AT and looking at possible IWB carry such as DeSantis Sof Tuck. This will only should the grip and being such a small pistol it wont be very noticeable. So is this still open carry? or should I be concern about such carry?

Also I was thinking about using a clip carry... would a clip carry be ok or does it have to be in a holster?

Thank you,

Kevin
I've heard (but haven't found it yet) there's a guy here in Michigan fighting an arrest for carrying concealed without a license, who was OCing with an IWB holster.

I usually recommend against it, unless you have a permit/license that lets you carry concealed, as some LEOs and prosecutors have been known to look at IWB as attempting to conceal carry.

And I wouldn't even think of using the retaining clip that Kel-Tec offers for their pistols, unless I had a concealed license. (Which I do. ;) )

I do miss Kentucky. I have to get down there again soon.

Gunslinger

I've heard (but haven't found it yet) there's a guy here in Michigan fighting an arrest for carrying concealed without a license, who was OCing with an IWB holster.

I usually recommend against it, unless you have a permit/license that lets you carry concealed, as some LEOs and prosecutors have been known to look at IWB as attempting to conceal carry.

And I wouldn't even think of using the retaining clip that Kel-Tec offers for their pistols, unless I had a concealed license. (Which I do. ;) )

I do miss Kentucky. I have to get down there again soon.

On the other hand, a case in TX dealt with an IWB being OC'd, which is, incredibly, still not lawful there. I don't like anything about "clips." Why screw around? You can get a decent Fobus holster for $20, or a workable Uncle Mikes for $15.

robin.kevin

I went ahead and bought a nice leather holster from Barsony. For $30 bucks a nice hand craft holster with thumb break that after the past few days breaking in fits like a glove, I cant go wrong. It looks nice, will conceal well when I decide to get my permit and I feel its secure enough with the strap that it wont be taken out of the holster by anyone but myself.

Thank you all for the advice on the topic. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I went ahead and bought a nice leather holster from Barsony. For $30 bucks a nice hand craft holster with thumb break that after the past few days breaking in fits like a glove, I cant go wrong. It looks nice, will conceal well when I decide to get my permit and I feel its secure enough with the strap that it wont be taken out of the holster by anyone but myself.

Thank you all for the advice on the topic. :)

Interesting site - bookmarked it.
http://www.barsonyholstersandbelts.com/servlet/StoreFront

robin.kevin