Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dare me to Open Carry?

Dare me to Open Carry?

Ok this is a serious thread

My Blackhawk equipment came in today and i gotta admit
    I'm a little intimidated just wearing it myself

Should i wear this drop leg rig out in public...open carrying..

Pictures

Reason i wanted a drop leg platform
    for coats and jackets at winter time and such

Talking

I bought a leg holster for the same reason, Cold weather. being able to OC and wear a jacket. However the two times I used it, it was NOT precived well by either LE or store managers. If I was not in uniform I was asked to leave stores that normally dont say anything to me. I also has a LEO stop in the road and back up just to ask me why I was OC that way.
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."

LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice

Quote Originally Posted by Sc0tt View Post
    I bought a leg holster for the same reason, Cold weather. being able to OC and wear a jacket. However the two times I used it, it was NOT precived well by either LE or store managers. If I was not in uniform I was asked to leave stores that normally dont say anything to me. I also has a LEO stop in the road and back up just to ask me why I was OC that way.
    That sucks...........
    I really dont like drawing from the hip at all
    and also jackets and such present a huge problem

Do you have small legs or is that thing just huge? lol I've kicked around the idea of getting one for hiking, but I don't think I could stand dealing with that.

I bet you would get a tad more attention with it.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarryHard View Post
    SNIP Should i wear this drop leg rig out in public...open carrying?
    This Spring, when the winter coat goes to the cleaners, I am going to ask their tailor to sew a slot on one side for the gun and holster. Jes' like the cops got.

If I was on the way to the range and was making a pit stop along the way, sure.

If was going out specifically to run errands no.

Do I support the right to do so? Absolutely.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Do you have small legs or is that thing just huge? lol I've kicked around the idea of getting one for hiking, but I don't think I could stand dealing with that.

I bet you would get a tad more attention with it.
    I have small legs + it's big

It has 2 rails on each side for 2 mags or whatever else you want to mount on it.

and also the holster is lvl 3 duty with a retention hood + finger + thumb breaks

I would say no. Not because it's a thigh holster, or it 'looks scary' though.

You'll need some pretty significant practice drawing out of that beast though.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

I would not recommend carrying in a drop-leg holster because I foresee reactions similar to the guy who OC'd an AK-47 pistol.
    Last edited by Overtaker; 04-15-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overtaker View Post
    I would not recommend carrying in a drop-leg holster because I foresee reactions similar to the guy who OC'd an AK-47 pistol.
    I see no similarity at all, and others have been known to carry in a drop-leg without issue.

I'll also say that kwikrnu was legal in carrying, and it's one of those things that puts you to the test-you can agree or disagree with his actions personally, but he was within the law. As he was within the law, I support him and his subsequent victories in and outside of the courtroom.

However, I don't think that situation is analogous to this one, and would not worry about OC in a thigh holster. I've thought about it myself, mainly as a Winter OC option.
    And the Sultans...

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    I would say no. Not because it's a thigh holster, or it 'looks scary' though.

You'll need some pretty significant practice drawing out of that beast though.
    It's not hard to draw for the shooter whos trained with it
    1 finger 1 thumb natural grip unlocks the whole thing including the hood
    but it's left handed so i guess that complicates things for a right handed person
    (or someone doing a gun grab/robbery attempt)

I've only had it a few hours and I'm already drawing in under 1 second
    retention is amazing, without pushing both levers the gun WILL NOT COME OUT

you can disengage 1 lock and it still will retain the weapon like a normal level 2 serpa

here is a video describing how it works
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybvYn2yqwYc

Edit:
    I also bought a belt conversion for it
    The holster unbolts from the thigh platform and can accept a duty belt system like LEO use
    Last edited by CarryHard; 04-15-2011 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarryHard View Post
    It's not hard to draw for the shooter whos trained with it
    1 finger 1 thumb natural grip unlocks the whole thing including the hood
    but it's left handed so i guess that complicates things for a right handed person
    (or someone doing a gun grab/robbery attempt)

I've only had it a few hours and I'm already drawing in under 1 second
    retention is amazing, without pushing both levers the gun WILL NOT COME OUT

you can disengage 1 lock and it still will retain the weapon like a normal level 2 serpa

here is a video describing how it works
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybvYn2yqwYc

Edit:
    I also bought a belt conversion for it
    The holster unbolts from the thigh platform and can accept a duty belt system like LEO use
    I understand how it works, and I'm sure you can draw it fast, when you're thinking about it. It will become natural, provided that you practice with it. However, after having had it for a few hours, there is no way you've got the muscle memory to draw it under any kind of pressure. My recommendation is that you wait until you've practiced drawing and acquiring POA several hundred times at a minimum.
    And the Sultans...

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    I understand how it works, and I'm sure you can draw it fast, when you're thinking about it. It will become natural, provided that you practice with it. However, after having had it for a few hours, there is no way you've got the muscle memory to draw it under any kind of pressure. My recommendation is that you wait until you've practiced drawing and acquiring POA several hundred times at a minimum.
    i will
    I think I've decided tho that im not going to wear the thigh rig unless im wearing a sport coat or something

it looks to much like trench coat mafia type stuff
    and i am not trying to scare anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Sc0tt View Post
    I am new to OC. But I can tell you I already have plans to get a CCP. Reason being is for situations like this. I number of situations. I'ts like I get the best of both worlds. I'll be able to leave the weapon on my hip in my car. On myhip and under a cape when I get a haircut. I'll be able to wear a jacket and if it ends up it covers my OC then oh well I have the permit to CC. I just takes alot of think work out of it. And times when CC might be nessesary for my own reasons, I Can.

As for the hip draw thing, don't know what to tell you there. Anyone and everyone will probably think that leg draw is easy.

If they ask, tell them it's part of your leg brace

Does look a little intimidating though... but at least you look ready!!!

Since You Asked!

No, I personally would not OC with a dropleg holster. But, you bought it, you can choose to wear it whenever you desire!

Quote Originally Posted by Overtaker View Post
    I should have clarified; my post against was based solely on functionality and comfort. I don't think the holster arrangement makes carrying scarier in any objective sense.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    This Spring, when the winter coat goes to the cleaners, I am going to ask their tailor to sew a slot on one side for the gun and holster. Jes' like the cops got.
    Now there is a million dollar idea.... Special line of clothing for OC'ers...everything from jackets, tee shirts, polo shirts, sweaters, coats, etc., etc., all tailored for OC'ers with slits or half circle openings for the holstered firearm.. could come in either right or left handed...

On Point... I have seen a few similar holsters being used for OC... all not quite as "intimadating" or "bulky" as the one in the photos... I now of a OC'er that made his own from a nylon dog collar and hardware from the hardware store... I have also seen a few ladies using similar setups..

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 04-15-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    Now there is a million dollar idea.... Special line of clothing for OC'ers...everything from jackets, tee shirts, polo shirts, sweaters, coats, etc., etc., all tailored for OC'ers with slits or half circle openings for the holstered firearm.. could come in either right or left handed...

On Point... I have seen a few similar holsters being used for OC... all not quite as "intimadating" or "bulky" as the one in the photos... I now of a OC'er that made his own from a nylon dog collar and hardware from the hardware store... I have also seen a few ladies using similar setups..

Outdoorsman1
    Yeah but that's ladies using it for a summer dress kinda thing. Valid.

Like someone els posted. If you want to wear it. Do it. The gun is not any more of a threat based on what kind of holster it's in.

If I'm standing next to you with my pistol on my hip and you stand there with your drop leg. Who is the more "threating" one? Hint: Trick question.

I have a safari land 6004 leg holster that i wear all the time, mostly be cause i too dont like drawing from the hip. i have never had any problems from leos or any stores or the public, on the contrary if actually been given complements on my rig.

I say you should wear what feels comfortable to you, a weapon is a weapon weather you wear it on your hip or on your thigh. Wear it out and see if you like it, if not then go back to your hip holster.

On another note as far as draw time goes it just takes practice, i challenged my buddy to see who could draw faster, my 6004 with the thumb latch against his Blackhawk CQC hip holster; turns out we both drew at the same consistent speed, so if you know what your doing there's really no difference in draw time.

Quote Originally Posted by KevlarCowboy View Post
    I have a safari land 6004 leg holster that i wear all the time, mostly be cause i too dont like drawing from the hip. i have never had any problems from leos or any stores or the public, on the contrary if actually been given complements on my rig.

I say you should wear what feels comfortable to you, a weapon is a weapon weather you wear it on your hip or on your thigh. Wear it out and see if you like it, if not then go back to your hip holster.

On another note as far as draw time goes it just takes practice, i challenged my buddy to see who could draw faster, my 6004 with the thumb latch against his Blackhawk CQC hip holster; turns out we both drew at the same consistent speed, so if you know what your doing there's really no difference in draw time.
    Thanks for the advice man
    I think i will wear it out a few times and see what happens

It's not very noticeable if I'm wearing a jacket (atleast i think so.)

So i'll see the reactions of people
    if they are mostly negative then I'm probably switching back

Another suggestion for making it less noticable is to wear black pants.
    Might remove a bit of attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I'd be more embarrassed carrying the Glock than I'd be worried about the holster.

JK!

Personally I don't like drop-legs because it feels like a monkey clinging onto my leg. I get enough of that with my grandkids. I don't see anything wrong with anyone else wearing them, though. I'm sure you spent enough on it, put it to good use and enjoy it.

At first I was thinking that just looks crazy but after reading a few post here and thinking a little more about it I don't see the big deal. It's a different way of carrying but it doesn't change the gun. It's still a Glock in that holster or a holster on your hip. You might get a little more attention with it but I'd just say what some on here have said. What's the difference of it being on my leg than on my hip? And with level 3 retention I tought you have to worry about someone trying to take it. They would have to bend down to get at it that way and then you just grab the back of their head and slam it into your knee. LOL
    Walk softly and carry a large caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Another suggestion for making it less noticable is to wear black pants.
    Might remove a bit of attention.
    MKEgal has a great point. You can reduce the potential threatening aspect by wearing dark/black clothes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast