• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dare me to Open Carry?

CarryHard

Ok this is a serious thread

My Blackhawk equipment came in today and i gotta admit
I'm a little intimidated just wearing it myself

Should i wear this drop leg rig out in public...open carrying..

Pictures
20110414233803151.jpg

20110414233718156.jpg

20110414233740806.jpg

Reason i wanted a drop leg platform
for coats and jackets at winter time and such
20110414234545994.jpg

Sc0tt

I bought a leg holster for the same reason, Cold weather. being able to OC and wear a jacket. However the two times I used it, it was NOT precived well by either LE or store managers. If I was not in uniform I was asked to leave stores that normally dont say anything to me. I also has a LEO stop in the road and back up just to ask me why I was OC that way.

CarryHard

I bought a leg holster for the same reason, Cold weather. being able to OC and wear a jacket. However the two times I used it, it was NOT precived well by either LE or store managers. If I was not in uniform I was asked to leave stores that normally dont say anything to me. I also has a LEO stop in the road and back up just to ask me why I was OC that way.

That sucks...........
I really dont like drawing from the hip at all
and also jackets and such present a huge problem

chiefjason

Do you have small legs or is that thing just huge? lol I've kicked around the idea of getting one for hiking, but I don't think I could stand dealing with that.

I bet you would get a tad more attention with it.

Smith45acp

If I was on the way to the range and was making a pit stop along the way, sure.

If was going out specifically to run errands no.

Do I support the right to do so? Absolutely.

CarryHard

Do you have small legs or is that thing just huge? lol I've kicked around the idea of getting one for hiking, but I don't think I could stand dealing with that.

I bet you would get a tad more attention with it.

I have small legs + it's big

It has 2 rails on each side for 2 mags or whatever else you want to mount on it.

and also the holster is lvl 3 duty with a retention hood + finger + thumb breaks

sultan62

I would say no. Not because it's a thigh holster, or it 'looks scary' though.

You'll need some pretty significant practice drawing out of that beast though.

Overtaker

I would not recommend carrying in a drop-leg holster because I foresee reactions similar to the guy who OC'd an AK-47 pistol.

Last edited:

sultan62

I would not recommend carrying in a drop-leg holster because I foresee reactions similar to the guy who OC'd an AK-47 pistol.

I see no similarity at all, and others have been known to carry in a drop-leg without issue.

I'll also say that kwikrnu was legal in carrying, and it's one of those things that puts you to the test-you can agree or disagree with his actions personally, but he was within the law. As he was within the law, I support him and his subsequent victories in and outside of the courtroom.

However, I don't think that situation is analogous to this one, and would not worry about OC in a thigh holster. I've thought about it myself, mainly as a Winter OC option.

CarryHard

I would say no. Not because it's a thigh holster, or it 'looks scary' though.

You'll need some pretty significant practice drawing out of that beast though.

It's not hard to draw for the shooter whos trained with it
1 finger 1 thumb natural grip unlocks the whole thing including the hood
but it's left handed so i guess that complicates things for a right handed person
(or someone doing a gun grab/robbery attempt)

I've only had it a few hours and I'm already drawing in under 1 second
retention is amazing, without pushing both levers the gun WILL NOT COME OUT

you can disengage 1 lock and it still will retain the weapon like a normal level 2 serpa

here is a video describing how it works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybvYn2yqwYc

Edit:
I also bought a belt conversion for it
The holster unbolts from the thigh platform and can accept a duty belt system like LEO use

Last edited:

sultan62

It's not hard to draw for the shooter whos trained with it
1 finger 1 thumb natural grip unlocks the whole thing including the hood
but it's left handed so i guess that complicates things for a right handed person
(or someone doing a gun grab/robbery attempt)

I've only had it a few hours and I'm already drawing in under 1 second
retention is amazing, without pushing both levers the gun WILL NOT COME OUT

you can disengage 1 lock and it still will retain the weapon like a normal level 2 serpa

here is a video describing how it works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybvYn2yqwYc

Edit:
I also bought a belt conversion for it
The holster unbolts from the thigh platform and can accept a duty belt system like LEO use

I understand how it works, and I'm sure you can draw it fast, when you're thinking about it. It will become natural, provided that you practice with it. However, after having had it for a few hours, there is no way you've got the muscle memory to draw it under any kind of pressure. My recommendation is that you wait until you've practiced drawing and acquiring POA several hundred times at a minimum.

CarryHard

I understand how it works, and I'm sure you can draw it fast, when you're thinking about it. It will become natural, provided that you practice with it. However, after having had it for a few hours, there is no way you've got the muscle memory to draw it under any kind of pressure. My recommendation is that you wait until you've practiced drawing and acquiring POA several hundred times at a minimum.

i will
I think I've decided tho that im not going to wear the thigh rig unless im wearing a sport coat or something

it looks to much like trench coat mafia type stuff
and i am not trying to scare anyone

Brion

I am new to OC. But I can tell you I already have plans to get a CCP. Reason being is for situations like this. I number of situations. I'ts like I get the best of both worlds. I'll be able to leave the weapon on my hip in my car. On myhip and under a cape when I get a haircut. I'll be able to wear a jacket and if it ends up it covers my OC then oh well I have the permit to CC. I just takes alot of think work out of it. And times when CC might be nessesary for my own reasons, I Can.

As for the hip draw thing, don't know what to tell you there. Anyone and everyone will probably think that leg draw is easy.

Smith45acp

I should have clarified; my post against was based solely on functionality and comfort. I don't think the holster arrangement makes carrying scarier in any objective sense.

Outdoorsman1

This Spring, when the winter coat goes to the cleaners, I am going to ask their tailor to sew a slot on one side for the gun and holster. Jes' like the cops got.

Now there is a million dollar idea.... Special line of clothing for OC'ers...everything from jackets, tee shirts, polo shirts, sweaters, coats, etc., etc., all tailored for OC'ers with slits or half circle openings for the holstered firearm.. could come in either right or left handed...

On Point... I have seen a few similar holsters being used for OC... all not quite as "intimadating" or "bulky" as the one in the photos... I now of a OC'er that made his own from a nylon dog collar and hardware from the hardware store... I have also seen a few ladies using similar setups..

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Brion

Now there is a million dollar idea.... Special line of clothing for OC'ers...everything from jackets, tee shirts, polo shirts, sweaters, coats, etc., etc., all tailored for OC'ers with slits or half circle openings for the holstered firearm.. could come in either right or left handed...

On Point... I have seen a few similar holsters being used for OC... all not quite as "intimadating" or "bulky" as the one in the photos... I now of a OC'er that made his own from a nylon dog collar and hardware from the hardware store... I have also seen a few ladies using similar setups..

Outdoorsman1

Yeah but that's ladies using it for a summer dress kinda thing. Valid.

Like someone els posted. If you want to wear it. Do it. The gun is not any more of a threat based on what kind of holster it's in.

If I'm standing next to you with my pistol on my hip and you stand there with your drop leg. Who is the more "threating" one? Hint: Trick question.

KevlarCowboy

I have a safari land 6004 leg holster that i wear all the time, mostly be cause i too dont like drawing from the hip. i have never had any problems from leos or any stores or the public, on the contrary if actually been given complements on my rig.

I say you should wear what feels comfortable to you, a weapon is a weapon weather you wear it on your hip or on your thigh. Wear it out and see if you like it, if not then go back to your hip holster.

On another note as far as draw time goes it just takes practice, i challenged my buddy to see who could draw faster, my 6004 with the thumb latch against his Blackhawk CQC hip holster; turns out we both drew at the same consistent speed, so if you know what your doing there's really no difference in draw time.