• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dare me to Open Carry?

CarryHard

I have a safari land 6004 leg holster that i wear all the time, mostly be cause i too dont like drawing from the hip. i have never had any problems from leos or any stores or the public, on the contrary if actually been given complements on my rig.

I say you should wear what feels comfortable to you, a weapon is a weapon weather you wear it on your hip or on your thigh. Wear it out and see if you like it, if not then go back to your hip holster.

On another note as far as draw time goes it just takes practice, i challenged my buddy to see who could draw faster, my 6004 with the thumb latch against his Blackhawk CQC hip holster; turns out we both drew at the same consistent speed, so if you know what your doing there's really no difference in draw time.

Thanks for the advice man
I think i will wear it out a few times and see what happens

It's not very noticeable if I'm wearing a jacket (atleast i think so.)

So i'll see the reactions of people
if they are mostly negative then I'm probably switching back

rotorhead

I'd be more embarrassed carrying the Glock than I'd be worried about the holster.

JK!

Personally I don't like drop-legs because it feels like a monkey clinging onto my leg. I get enough of that with my grandkids. I don't see anything wrong with anyone else wearing them, though. I'm sure you spent enough on it, put it to good use and enjoy it.

Carry24/7

At first I was thinking that just looks crazy but after reading a few post here and thinking a little more about it I don't see the big deal. It's a different way of carrying but it doesn't change the gun. It's still a Glock in that holster or a holster on your hip. You might get a little more attention with it but I'd just say what some on here have said. What's the difference of it being on my leg than on my hip? And with level 3 retention I tought you have to worry about someone trying to take it. They would have to bend down to get at it that way and then you just grab the back of their head and slam it into your knee. LOL

WTFOVER

I for see a lot of LEO attention coming your way. While it may be legal you will still get a lot of attention. If this is the reason your seeking then you'll get it. There is a reason only a few departments in NC allow their oficers to carry this way, mainly SWAT, K9, etc

WTFOVER

What's the reason?

To "Para-Military" looking. Course, even wearing BDU pants, and a cotton shirt can be considered "para-military" by some. So departments try to limit that (more so with drop leg holsters vs uniforms)

firedog

I think it looks ridiculous. If you’re dressed in battle fatigues or camo buying some blaze orange during hunting season then maybe. If you’re simply shopping at the local grocery store or convenience store I think you’re going to get a lot of unwanted and unnecessary attention. It will only inflame the anti’s and make them push harder for changes in the future. It will not appeal to most people, LEO’s or legislators. Furthermore, if you’re in such situation that requires such extreme quick draw from a drop leg holster then you have already failed at situational awareness.

It may be within the laws so it’s your call. I would support your right to do it but I just wouldn’t myself. Just my 2 cents and IMHO.

Soon to be an NC resident…

WTFOVER

I think it looks ridiculous. If you’re dressed in battle fatigues or camo buying some blaze orange during hunting season then maybe. If you’re simply shopping at the local grocery store or convenience store I think you’re going to get a lot of unwanted and unnecessary attention. It will only inflame the anti’s and make them push harder for changes in the future. It will not appeal to most people, LEO’s or legislators. Furthermore, if you’re in such situation that requires such extreme quick draw from a drop leg holster then you have already failed at situational awareness.

It may be within the laws so it’s your call. I would support your right to do it but I just wouldn’t myself. Just my 2 cents and IMHO.

Soon to be an NC resident…

Where's my like button lol

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Favoring a boot on your neck for fear that it may lean on you a little more if you upset it, is not the path to freedom.

Smith45acp

Favoring a boot on your neck for fear that it may lean on you a little more if you upset it, is not the path to freedom.

Thank you!!

I love how people on an OC specific forum can be so quick to regurgitate the exact same arguments most antis spew about OC in the first place.

Don't act like this is a slinged ar15 in Walmart. It's just a different kind of holster. I believe the margin of people who would react badly to this vs those who would react badly to the sight of a firearm at all is very very slim.

WTFOVER - - I always enjoy reading your non sequitur posts, I just wish you would back them up a little more soundly

Smith45acp

I think it looks ridiculous.opinion, ok... If you’re dressed in battle fatigues or camo buying some blaze orange during hunting season then maybeReally?. If you’re simply shopping at the local grocery store or convenience store I think you’re going to get a lot of unwanted and unnecessary attention.Ok, but your average stainless 1911 is cool... It will only inflame the anti’s and make them push harder for changes in the future.So says most who are fanatic about concealed carry, sounds familiar It will not appeal to most people, LEO’s or legislatorsI agree with this part, but not in any delineation between one holster style or another. Furthermore, if you’re in such situation that requires such extreme quick draw from a drop leg holster then you have already failed at situational awareness. back to the CC crowd. "If you're too slow to lift your shirt first and then draw...

Soon to be an NC resident…Welcome to the Tarheel state!

WTFOVER

WTFOVER - - I always enjoy reading your non sequitur posts, I just wish you would back them up a little more soundly

What do I need to back up? Poll the Chief's and Sheriff's in NC and ask them why they don't allow their officers to wear these type of holsters. Ask them why they don't want their officers wearing anything but a "normal" type uniform. You'll find more are going to answer you the same way I said.

Chief1297

Definitely wouldn't be something I would choose but at least they wouldn't be able to arrest you for carrying concealed. You will definitely get some attention. If that is your desire I would say you picked the right combo.

rotorhead

To "Para-Military" looking. Course, even wearing BDU pants, and a cotton shirt can be considered "para-military" by some. So departments try to limit that (more so with drop leg holsters vs uniforms)

I agree.

Yet, the "militarization" of our local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies marches on like there's no tomorrow. I find it rather amusing that departments try to present a non-military appearance while at the same time buying up every military looking piece of equipment they can get their hands on.

In Cumberland County some years ago, our Sheriff took a stance that jeopardized crass-walk guards and other functions the sheriff's department normally handles. He did this in a budget battle with the state and county and his main argument was that he needed more money to run the programs. As it turned out, it was more an issue of him getting more money to build up the SWAT type stuff.

So yeah, while it's nice some of these departments publicly want to appear like they distance themselves from a military appearance, it's getting harder to not notice that there has been a distinct rise in the number of departments and agencies that are moving to purchase more military-style equipment- not to mention the number of departments that are receiving direct training from our military as well as the number of joint operations involving both entities.

The double standard is fairly amusing.

Last edited:

WTFOVER

I agree.

Yet, the "militarization" of our local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies marches on like there's no tomorrow. I find it rather amusing that departments try to present a non-military appearance while at the same time buying up every military looking piece of equipment they can get their hands on.

In Cumberland County some years ago, our Sheriff took a stance that jeopardized crass-walk guards and other functions the sheriff's department normally handles. He did this in a budget battle with the state and county and his main argument was that he needed more money to run the programs. As it turned out, it was more an issue of him getting more money to build up the SWAT type stuff.

So yeah, while it's nice some of these departments publicly want to appear like they distance themselves from a military appearance, it's getting harder to not notice that there has been a distinct rise in the number of departments and agencies that are moving to purchase more military-style equipment- not to mention the number of departments that are receiving direct training from our military as well as the number of joint operations involving both entities.

The double standard is fairly amusing.

Thats why departments are limiting what the officers are wearing, etc. I don't have a problem with SWAT, K9 dressing the way they do. I also have no problem with the departments buying used military equipment (mostly used rifles, APC's, etc) as in this day and time its very much needed.

rotorhead

Thats why departments are limiting what the officers are wearing, etc. I don't have a problem with SWAT, K9 dressing the way they do. I also have no problem with the departments buying used military equipment (mostly used rifles, APC's, etc) as in this day and time its very much needed.

In some cases I can see where it's justified, but I think we can agree that there are departments out there that take it to the extreme- all at the cost of taxes which could be better served in other ways.

WTFOVER

In some cases I can see where it's justified, but I think we can agree that there are departments out there that take it to the extreme- all at the cost of taxes which could be better served in other ways.

Oh I agree there. Does a department with 4 officers need a APC, No? Does Charlotte or Raleigh need one sure. Does the small department need rifles, sure they do, it may be the only way the officer gets a rifle to carry unless they fork over the money themselves.

rotorhead

Oh I agree there. Does a department with 4 officers need a APC, No? Does Charlotte or Raleigh need one sure. Does the small department need rifles, sure they do, it may be the only way the officer gets a rifle to carry unless they fork over the money themselves.

For some reason the recent story of our ABC agents buying top o' the line pistols and selling them to each other after only a couple years in service as a matter of policy keeps coming to mind lol.

But yeah, I can agree that LE agencies do need modern equipment to keep pace with the changing threat. It's the abuses of such items that gets to me.