• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nerve racking situation for me the other day

Claytron

I don't understand the mentality of people who would put their beloved pet's life in danger by ignoring them like that. I was walking my dog one time and a pitbull came running out to attack. I called out to the owners and they just shut their door. I let my dog off the leash so she could protect herself (3/4 coyote, 1/4 shepherd). She killed the pit and we walked away...I don't get it.

You should have shot the attacking dog and prepared yourself against what the owner would do following that. Glad you made it out ok, but I agree with the other person who says you've played your last ace. Be careful out there!!

If your dog is really 3/4 coyote then its most likely not even legal to own. Your average dog owner does not have the skill or patience, regardless of what they think, to control a wild animal. I can imagine why you just nonchalantly walked away after your dog killed another dog, they probably would have put your dog down had they found out what it was. Did you report it? Did you take your dog to the vet? If it got blood in its mouth then it obviously could have caught a disease or illness from the other animal such as rabies.

If someone ran at you from across the street, would you shoot them? If not then why is a dog any different? If something runs towards you it doesnt automatically make it a threat, it would certainly make me weary but you cant assume its going to attack you until its damn obvious it will.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why not have a non-lethal option for situations like this.

Bird-shot shell, tazer, OC, laser light pen. To me it just seems a bit dangerous to only have your HG if you know there might be trouble.

Use of deadly force is always a last option, but also have no desire or intent to wear a Bat Belt.

If I know there was trouble to be found there, then I would not go there.

JoeSparky

Centurion

Bird-shot shell, tazer, OC, laser light pen. To me it just seems a bit dangerous to only have your HG if you know there might be trouble.

I carry a handgun for SELF-DEFENSE!
IF I am expecting trouble it would be a rifle or shotgun!!!!
Use the handgun to FIGHT your way to your rifle!

Lady Glock

If your dog is really 3/4 coyote then its most likely not even legal to own. Your average dog owner does not have the skill or patience, regardless of what they think, to control a wild animal. I can imagine why you just nonchalantly walked away after your dog killed another dog, they probably would have put your dog down had they found out what it was. Did you report it? Did you take your dog to the vet? If it got blood in its mouth then it obviously could have caught a disease or illness from the other animal such as rabies.

If someone ran at you from across the street, would you shoot them? If not then why is a dog any different? If something runs towards you it doesnt automatically make it a threat, it would certainly make me weary but you cant assume its going to attack you until its damn obvious it will.
We don't have her anymore. She died 10 years later at the age of 13. She was a very loyal, very protective girl and we miss her terribly.

As for knowing it was going to attack...it was charging, barking, baring it's teeth and acting very aggressive...I had no doubt it was out to hurt us. I'm not about to let it reach me and rip me apart before I take action against it!

Lady Glock

If an animal is aggressive enough to attack a person, It would be kinda stupid to leave it alive to attack another...the next one may not be old enough to know how to stop it

DWCook

Activist Member
There are mixed emotions on this particular topic of story. Yes if the dog was showing aggression to harm without control then its not illegal to shoot it. But remember this, the owner CAN charge you with a court order and he can state a case that you were bothering the dog in a threat like manner. If all you have is "Here say" and no hard proof you be more than likely paying out the owner for the death of his dog.

I'm not trying to say shooting them is a bad thing if necessary BUT just putting out the legal ways that can flop on you even if the situtation was dangerous. Just remember we have the right OC in a lot of places but we have to be careful on situtations due to how easy it is to change a story against the actual victim.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are mixed emotions on this particular topic of story. Yes if the dog was showing aggression to harm without control then its not illegal to shoot it. But remember this, the owner CAN charge you with a court order and he can state a case that you were bothering the dog in a threat like manner. If all you have is "Here say" and no hard proof you be more than likely paying out the owner for the death of his dog.

I'm not trying to say shooting them is a bad thing if necessary BUT just putting out the legal ways that can flop on you even if the situtation was dangerous. Just remember we have the right OC in a lot of places but we have to be careful on situtations due to how easy it is to change a story against the actual victim.

No question about that.

Know the law. Be responsible. Act according to your best judgment and be right every time from the beginning - doesn't hurt to be lucky too. :p :D

amzbrady

my only question...how do you hunt mushrooms?

Visually or by scent - they're very quiet.
icon6.png

Evedintly a 9mm is enough to take them down. Which ones do you hunt? Blue ringers or liberty tops?

peterarthur

I have children. I won't be running a dangerous dog off. I will shoot them. Running them off lets them be dangerous again. They are only dogs and are never worth risking the life of those children. That includes the dogs I have and love. I would put them down, too, if they acted in a dangerous way. Dogs can rarely be rehabbed. And a dangerous stray is likely to be sick, too, where I live.

Honestly, I was sad and misty-eyed about the whole thing. But better the dog than one of my children.

Richieg150

Dont even think about trying to go down that road....If you have all the stuff you mentioned, and you EVER have to use your firearm, you will be crucified on the grounds that you DIDNT have to use a firearm, you could have used all those alternatives you were carrying......I was educated on this very subject when I took my CCW class, by a lawyer who spoke on several subjects. Your firearm is all you need, dont complicate things, but thats my 2 cents...

kcgunfan

Dont even think about trying to go down that road....If you have all the stuff you mentioned, and you EVER have to use your firearm, you will be crucified on the grounds that you DIDNT have to use a firearm, you could have used all those alternatives you were carrying......I was educated on this very subject when I took my CCW class, by a lawyer who spoke on several subjects. Your firearm is all you need, dont complicate things, but thats my 2 cents...

I do carry OC spray. But, I have no intention of ever using it unless:

1. I don't have my firearm with me (and I hope that happens less and less.)
2. Someone is attempting to take my firearm, and that's really just so I can get to my firearm despite the attempted gun grab. After that, they've committed a forcible felony, and use of deadly force is permitted.

Did Kevin Jamison do your course? I'd love to sit in on his class sometime, he does such a great job explaining things...
I have no desire to keep a arsenal of LTL choices handy, but I'm pretty sure I can defend having one...

Chap

God I hate OC

Coast Guard gave me a full face shot for training to show us how it works. ( They claimed we needed it before we could carry it )

Burned/dryed out my eyes for 45 to 60 minutes. ( Couldn't produce tears the whole time) Horrible..... If someone shot me with that as a joke I'd put them in the hospital for sure.

Did I mention I hated being OC'd.

We all looked like raccoons after the training since we had chemical irritation/burns across our eyes from the OC.

Luckily I didn't have a secondary OC experience that night when I took a shower. I was warned to be careful to not let it wash out of my hair and run down to my more tender parts.

Yep you point OC at me And I'm "Passive Compliant".

Oh yea Happy Easter to everyone.

Chap