• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member Hello and a quick question re § 14‑269.3.

bajadudes

Great site and i am very glad i found it. I have read through most of the posts in this NC section going back about 6 pages and have entertained myself for way too many hours. it has also occurred to me that I may have been breaking the law inadvertently.

There is a little convenience store next to me off Penny road where I some times stop to buy a six pack at the end of the day. I have never thought anything of it and the owner and I always shoot the **** a bit. My OC has never been an issue with him and I always interpreted the below law as prohibiting weapons only where alcohol was both sold and consumed.....NOT sold or consumed.

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed

Am i correct in assuming that as long as you can only buy and not consume that I'm OK to OC in the premise?

In any case great forum.

bajadudes

Thanks and

I much appreciated the answer. Can anyone tell me where the grocery store convenience store exception is codified? I just want to be prepared if challenged.

I have seen some posts by members talking about how they have turned around and exited a store after noticing a beer cooler on the premises.

sultan62

I much appreciated the answer. Can anyone tell me where the grocery store convenience store exception is codified? I just want to be prepared if challenged.

I have seen some posts by members talking about how they have turned around and exited a store after noticing a beer cooler on the premises.

There is no 'codified exception.' They don't apply because there is no consumption there. Seeing beer coolers in places and walking out usually applies to a stand up cooler with soft drinks, etc. No beer on tap, but there may be 12 beers they keep in the cooler in case someone wants to buy one. It also applies to places like Moe's, where you might think they don't serve alcohol, but they due actually sell them right up at the register.

Sc0tt

I have always assumed this becuase it just makes sence, but I have never looked it up.

Is it illegal to purchase alcohol while OC?

Sc0tt

I thought there were GS that applied to possesion of a firearm while intoxicated or under the influnce of any controled substance.

Whats the statute that covers this, I want to read it again.

bajadudes

Thanks again

Interesting on the DWOC (drunk while open carrying).
I think I'll refrain from testing that one out anywhere.:shocker:

Last edited:

sultan62

I'm not suggesting doing it; I simply find it interesting legally. Here's the relevant statute:

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit. said:
(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

Smith45acp

That has happened to me at my favorite deli (Subconscious on Hillsborough). But that's different than a convenience store because you can drink the beer with your sandwich if you so wish.

Another great reason to lift the arbitrary restriction on restaurant carry.

Last edited: