• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More correct term: 'Firearm' or 'Weapon'

M

McX

i always thought this way: a firearm is a legal device, a weapon is a device used to commit a crime.

protias

I use firearm majority of the time, gun sometimes, weapon almost never unless it is used to commit a crime.

M

McX

there is also the option to call them by their assigned names, in my case: Smacky, Disruptor, the mag., chromie...............

Aknazer

This is the square vs rectangle debate. While weapon does seem to have a negative connotation to it, technically all firearms are weapons but not all weapons are firearms. Here is the definition of a weapon from dictionary.com:

1. device for attack or defense 2. something used against an adversary

sidestreet

Make it hurt where it counts the most...,

for me it would be in my wallet. If you've got kids, give'm five bucks the next time you say weapon instead of gun, firearm, self defense tool, whatever, besides the "W" word. If you've got a security, law enforcement, or military background, this might get a little expensive at first, but it does work. We used a similar approach when I took my NRA instructor classes. I think just about every one contributed at least a few bucks to the "Pizza for Lunch Fund" on the first day. We didn't have nearly as much pizza the next day as we did the first, go figure!!!

Of course, if you want to try this method but can't think of anyone to give your money to, just send me a pm and I'll be glad to help you with that one too!

sidestreet,

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

TyGuy

If you used a firearm to stop someone with murderous intent would it then be a weapon? IDK

littlewolf

I to use the word firearm,a weapon can be anything. It also depends on how you use it in a sentance i.e.; I used my firearm in self defence against a man who pointed his weapon at me.

my 2 cents

Motofixxer

I tend to use "firearm" more now in general conversation. I will use "weapon" as a broader term when referencing a generic potentially dangerous tool. And don't typically use "gun" unless talking with closer friends or relatives. People have a negative bias toward certain words so I try to avoid triggering those while in general conversation.

Carcharodon

A "long gun" is a rifle, a "hand gun" is a pistol or gun. Both are weapons, both are also firearms. When I'm shooting with friends or in a relaxed environment they go by the "friendlier" names. When I OC, I carry a weapon. Weapons have a very specific purpose, that's why I carry one.

oliverclotheshoff

I tend to use "firearm" more now in general conversation. I will use "weapon" as a broader term when referencing a generic potentially dangerous tool. And don't typically use "gun" unless talking with closer friends or relatives. People have a negative bias toward certain words so I try to avoid triggering those while in general conversation.

same here

theoicarry

A "long gun" is a rifle, a "hand gun" is a pistol or gun. Both are weapons, both are also firearms. When I'm shooting with friends or in a relaxed environment they go by the "friendlier" names. When I OC, I carry a weapon. Weapons have a very specific purpose, that's why I carry one.

I feel for our benefit, firearm is prefer ed. However: I go back to the 1960's when a firearm was referred to a weapon and a gun was something other. I cannot state the meaning at that time here. Lots of push ups done if you confused the two?
Firearm, I like that the best.

Outdoorsman1

I have used both "weapon" and "gun" in past posts. I very seldom use "firearm".

This is an excellent topic and raises question I have never thought of...

I am thiniking it is more of a case of "You say "Tomato I say Tomato"....

"Weapon, Firearm, Gun,... basically different words discribing the same thing...

I have always had a preference for weapon, (just a personal choice), but considering the thought that almost any object can be used as a weapon, I am re-thinking... on using firearm instead. As stated, gun, does have a negative view from the general public.

Outdoorsman1

PS:.. I also think "Pistol" would be appropriate....(?)

Last edited:

kcgunfan

I carry a firearm, unless I'm not, the I just have a weapon on me. Bad guys carry guns, good guys carry firearms, especially in court.

phred

I use the term "firearm". Actually a firearm is a potential weapon. A fork is an eating utensil until it is used to stab someone. Then it becomes a weapon, unless of course you're a cannibal.

MKEgal

I usually say or write 'pistol'.
Less emotionally charged than 'gun' or 'weapon', fewer syllables & more specific than 'firearm'.
(I don't think I've ever told someone I have a weapon.)

e.g.: "I am declaring an unloaded, encased pistol in my checked bag."

jrclen

I like firearm, rifle, and pistol. Weapon is OK but it includes knives, baseball bats, and cruise missiles. Just my 2 cents.