• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Active Duty Military Member in Michigan trying to buy handgun

jacksonmj

I need some help I went in to a store locally and started to ask what I needed to do to buy a gun here in Michigan. I'm currently stationed in Michigan and I'm a legal resident of California and was informed that unless I change my legal residencey to Michigan I can't buy a gun. Is this right? I just can't see why I would be punished for serving my country to protect our rights that my rights are being taken away to buy a gun. Can anyone explain this to me. Thanks Mike Jackson US Navy Chief!

jacksonmj

That's what I thought

Thanks I thought that was the case because when I buy a fishing license in Michigan I'm concidered a legal resident as long as I'm station here on orders. Guess I might have to call the state police out here to get the right answer.

jacksonmj

Got my answer

State police did confirm that I'm able to buy a gun just have to pass a test and file for a permit. Thanks for the responses and glad to hear that I can it really pissed me off this morning when the guy just said no because I didn't have a michigan residencey.:

jm62383

I kinda went thru something liek that while I was stationed in Texas.
It was a little easier there because no purchase permit was required after I proved Iw as stationed there.

All you should need to do is go to your local police department with a copy of your orders and your drivers license. They'll do their little check and have you fill out your purchase permit and if you choose they will notarize it for you for $10 or you can have it notarized at your bank for free. Take the purchase permit with your orders and driver license to wherever you choose to buy the pistol and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
He is correct AFAIK unless you have a CA "CCW" permit -- even then I am unsure...
Nope:
28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.Sec. 2....

(c) The person is a citizen of the United States and is a legal resident of this state. For the purposes of this section, a person shall be considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following apply:
(i) The person has a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license issued under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or an official state personal identification card issued under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300.
(ii) The person is lawfully registered to vote in this state.
(iii) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is stationed outside of this state, but the person's home of record is in this state.
(iv) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is permanently stationed in this state, but the person's home of record is in another state.
By state law, he's legally able to buy and register a gun in this state. Even if he is a squid. :)

Last edited:

KBCraig

Thanks for the responses and glad to hear that I can it really pissed me off this morning when the guy just said no because I didn't have a michigan residencey.:
Generally speaking, gun shop clerks are the only source of legal advice who are worse than cops. Both groups suffer from an ego driven by an "expertise" that is presumed by the general population, but hasn't been earned.

There are exceptions, of course, that are both numerous and remarkable. But generally speaking, gunshop lawyers are worth exactly what you pay them.

sprinklerguy28

I sell firearms to military personel every week. I have corrected many cities who originally said no and denied individuals. If you have any questions or difficulty feel free to email me scott@webbtactical.com. I'll go out of my way to assist those who serve to legally purchase a firearm. Thank you for you service!!!