• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time OCing!!

tak2w

Well, I finally did it! I have been CCing for about 11 years, but have never OC'd, except for around the house. I discovered this forum a few weeks ago and have done a LOT of reading, and feel I have a pretty good grasp on the laws, etc. Still, I have been reluctant to give it a try. Every time I think I'm going to try it, I end up covering up at the last minute. Well, last night I had to go to the convenience store at about 11pm. I had recently gotten home from a play, so I was still wearing kakis and a tucked in dress shirt (had pocket carried my P3AT to the play). With all the crime in Greenville, I decided I wanted more firepower than my .380, so I threw on my Glock 19 in kydex paddle holster at about 4-o'clock and spare mag at 9-o'clock and went out the door.

I pulled up to the front door of the Trade-Mart and made sure there were no gun-buster signs on the door and took a deep breath and walked in. There were two clerks behind the counter and one customer checking out. I walked in and went straight back to the beverage cooler. At this point, my Glock was in full view of the clerks who are facing my way. I got some milk and walked back down the aisle to the counter, made small talk with the cashier, paid and left. After I got back in my car, I looked back in the store to see if the two clerks were talking about me....they didn't appear to be. Either no one noticed my gun or they didn't care.

So, very uneventful encounter, and not very interesting to read about I'm sure. Just wanted to let someone know. I'm not sure how much I will be OCing in the future though. I am a professional, active in leadership in my church, member of a country club, etc. I have lots of friends and acquaintances who wouldn't really understand a need to carry a gun, especially openly, and probably wouldn't appreciate me trying to educate them. I really appreciate all of you who try to educate those you come into contact with, I just feel like I would ostracize people I know and hurt relationships I have built. If Greenville wasn't such a small town, It would be a lot easier for me, but I run into people I know wherever I go. Thanks again for all you OC ambassadors out there! Keep up the good work!

FLEMTP

welcome to the club!

I think most people either dont notice or dont care. I OC all over charlotte, and only once in a while do I get a comment.. and usually they say something to the effect of " you need to carry nowadays with the way the world is"

good luck and once again welcome to the club!

Sc0tt

So, very uneventful encounter, and not very interesting to read about I'm sure. Just wanted to let someone know. I'm not sure how much I will be OCing in the future though. I am a professional, active in leadership in my church, member of a country club, etc. I have lots of friends and acquaintances who wouldn't really understand a need to carry a gun, especially openly, and probably wouldn't appreciate me trying to educate them. I really appreciate all of you who try to educate those you come into contact with, I just feel like I would ostracize people I know and hurt relationships I have built. If Greenville wasn't such a small town, It would be a lot easier for me, but I run into people I know wherever I go. Thanks again for all you OC ambassadors out there! Keep up the good work!

In smaller towns (esp when you are a respected citizen such as yourself) they are usually quicker to adapt to someone who OC. When I first started carrying in asheboro I was stooped by every store manager I came around, I got funny looks from everyone. But in time they have all gotten to know me and why I carry and I only educate those around me who are in need of it. People who approach me telling me that its not legal the ones who are clearly misinformed. Just becuase you OC dosnt mean that you have the preach its gospel everywhere you go.
There no reason to be ashamed of OC, and feel forced to CC. People in time will accept it

rotorhead

Well, I finally did it! I have been CCing for about 11 years, but have never OC'd, except for around the house. I discovered this forum a few weeks ago and have done a LOT of reading, and feel I have a pretty good grasp on the laws, etc. Still, I have been reluctant to give it a try. Every time I think I'm going to try it, I end up covering up at the last minute. Well, last night I had to go to the convenience store at about 11pm. I had recently gotten home from a play, so I was still wearing kakis and a tucked in dress shirt (had pocket carried my P3AT to the play). With all the crime in Greenville, I decided I wanted more firepower than my .380, so I threw on my Glock 19 in kydex paddle holster at about 4-o'clock and spare mag at 9-o'clock and went out the door.

I pulled up to the front door of the Trade-Mart and made sure there were no gun-buster signs on the door and took a deep breath and walked in. There were two clerks behind the counter and one customer checking out. I walked in and went straight back to the beverage cooler. At this point, my Glock was in full view of the clerks who are facing my way. I got some milk and walked back down the aisle to the counter, made small talk with the cashier, paid and left. After I got back in my car, I looked back in the store to see if the two clerks were talking about me....they didn't appear to be. Either no one noticed my gun or they didn't care.

The great secret about carrying guns and exercising our 2A rights is that it leaves the choice open. There's no moral code or unwritten law among gun owners that states you have to carry at all times no matter where you are or what you are doing. It's all about strengthening the right as spelled out in our constitution to the degree that the choice to carry or not remains intact.

Many choose to do so, and others carry less often. The important things are for you to feel comfortable doing so, to be trained and ready to use it if ever needed, and to know that it's a choice you can freely exercise.

No one will think any more or less of you should you choose to carry less often that some others do. Personally, and for various reasons, I carry whenever I'm out in public, as well as around the yard. Others only take their guns out when heading to the range. There's a wide spectrum out there of people who carry in different degrees and circumstances.

You've passed a personal plateau just by OCing in public, which will do wonders to calm you initial apprehensions. Next, step up on a pace that you are comfortable with, learn how to effectively use your gun, hit the range and practice shooting as much as you can, and try to understand the psychological impact of self-defense as best you can.

Jerry1981

I open carry every where in Charlotte where there are a lot of diverse views but I have no problems most of the time the only thing said to me is am i a cop and when I so no NC is an OC state they say thanks I didnt know that and i tell them to come here. I was nervous at first being in charlotte but so far its been great.