• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB234: The Final Countdown

Rick H

From my understanding, Is the 234 bill going to be in front of the committee on Wednesday only? Because it shows that it is only scheduled for that day or is it going to be all three (3) days.

hammer6

Slim. Just wear really nice clothes, like khaki pants and a nice collared shirt and smell really good if you do go though.

should i wear my new OWB leather holster that i just bought for my glock 26? ;) that'll show him how uncomfortable it is to carry concealed here in florida in nice clothing....

77zach

should i wear my new OWB leather holster that i just bought for my glock 26? ;) that'll show him how uncomfortable it is to carry concealed here in florida in nice clothing....

He ran uncontested last time. And he has a busy week of tyranny enactment ahead, I doubt he'll even be there. Did you make an appointment? I don't think he'll budge.

Someone was going to Montford's office. Don't know what came of that. Somebody should have gone to Oelrich's too.

Last edited:

hammer6

He ran uncontested last time. And he has a busy week of tyranny enactment ahead, I doubt he'll even be there. Did you make an appointment? I don't think he'll budge.

Someone was going to Montford's office. Don't know what came of that. Somebody should have gone to Oelrich's too.

no appointment, just figured i'd try and catch him off guard. oh well

77zach

no appointment, just figured i'd try and catch him off guard. oh well

You could still drop by if it's that close. "Oh, he's not here, I just wanted to know why he's against SB 234." Then they say "he's not anti-gun, he's just anti-open carry". Then you say " Oh he's much worse than anti-gun, he's anti-rights. He doesn't think Floridians should have the same rights as people in the rest of the nation."

At least that's how I imagine the conversation going. It would still be worth it if you only live 5 minutes away.

seminoles1999

After watching the house session last week i noticed all the amendments are read and voted on before the final vote on bill, so they could approve some amendments and vote against some amendments so they could actually approve for example the CCW showing ID and level 2 holster and disapprove all the others and the final vote with that amendment.

---------------------------------------------------

After looking at Senate history of roll call vote for Senate Sessions they haven't had 40 present since March 16, so hopefully some democrats won't show up.

April 07: Excused: Senator Bullard; Senator Rich after 5:00 p.m.
April 06: Excused: Senator Bullard
March 30: Excused: Senators Bullard and Ring
March 29: Excused: Senators Bogdanoff and Bullard
March 24: Excused: Senator Bullard
March 23: Excused: Senator Bullard

Last edited:

~*'Phoenix'*~

Sweet... So chill guys, with Bullard missing we only need 20, and we've got em. Less if someone abstains. Even Dean or Bogdanoff may be convinced to abstain. They've got NRA ratings that'll croak if they vote against. I know lots of Open Carry advocates and CCer's don't really care or agree with NRA ratings, but almost all other gun-owners do, and they outnumber us by a lot. They will vote based on NRA ratings, so anyone "pro-gun," even if they're anti-OC, won't want to wreck those ratings. They can passively oppose without killing their ratings and gun-owner support by abstaining. I'm emailing Dean and maybe calling if I get no response to see if he could be convinced.
That's really all we need to get by.

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
After watching the house session last week i noticed all the amendments are read and voted on before the final vote on bill, so they could approve some amendments and vote against some amendments so they could actually approve for example the CCW showing ID and level 2 holster and disapprove all the others and the final vote with that amendment.

---------------------------------------------------

After looking at Senate history of roll call vote for Senate Sessions they haven't had 40 present since March 16, so hopefully some democrats won't show up.

April 07: Excused: Senator Bullard; Senator Rich after 5:00 p.m.
April 06: Excused: Senator Bullard
March 30: Excused: Senators Bullard and Ring
March 29: Excused: Senators Bogdanoff and Bullard
March 24: Excused: Senator Bullard
March 23: Excused: Senator Bullard

So all the amendments that were killed in committee get resurrected and another chance at life?

Damn...what the hell was the point to voting on them in committee?

Looking at the amendments, all of them were replaced by a committee substitute...except Boggie's. I can't imagine them voting on amendments that have been replaced by a substitute already.
If they can't, then the only one they could revote on would be the one that effectively kills OC...the one the sheriff's loved.

This of course is not to say a new one can't be introduced as well.

Last edited:

jonkknox

There would have to be new floor amendments proposed. The old ones died in committee / were withdrawn / replaced by CS. They don't get voted on again.

And as far as I read it, the bill isn't actually going to get voted on Wednesday. There's the second reading, which is followed by the 3rd reading. That's when the vote takes place. They have all those bills on the calendar, and I think that Wednesday bit on page 10 only refers to the caucus meeting.

j4l

So,as of this point in time, how does the bill actually read? What amendments are likely to actually be in this thing? Are they botching it up/watering it down on us?

seminoles1999

There would have to be new floor amendments proposed. The old ones died in committee / were withdrawn / replaced by CS. They don't get voted on again.

And as far as I read it, the bill isn't actually going to get voted on Wednesday. There's the second reading, which is followed by the 3rd reading. That's when the vote takes place. They have all those bills on the calendar, and I think that Wednesday bit on page 10 only refers to the caucus meeting.

Thanks, Jon for explanation

Last edited:

77zach

It is possible to be voted on Wednesday. At least other bills have said on 2nd reading and then were voted on in the past. I really don't understand the process though. I'm sure we'll know the fate of OC in Florida by the end of the week or the NRA wouldn't have dropped the email bomb Friday night. This way the senators' aides read them in the beginning of the week.

jonkknox

It is possible to be voted on Wednesday. At least other bills have said on 2nd reading and then were voted on in the past. I really don't understand the process though. I'm sure we'll know the fate of OC in Florida by the end of the week or the NRA wouldn't have dropped the email bomb Friday night. This way the senators' aides read them in the beginning of the week.

Very true. With the legislative session ending May 6, it will all be over soon. For good or ill, we're almost there.

seminoles1999

I noticed HB 45 & SB 402, HB 7161 & SB 604, HB 155 & SB 432 all 3 sets are companion bills and on the calendar for house & senate but HB 517 companion bill to SB 234 is not? wonder why (see chart below)

5644470182_3b2a62884f.jpg

Last edited: