• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need advice before tommorow

Sc0tt

I'm looking to put a new gun on layaway tomorrow.

Its a S&W Sigma 9mm Full Size (Kit)

Does anyone have any thing good or bad to say about these? Any first hand experience? Recommendations?

justherenow

If your going to buy a glock clone, buy glock.

I don't own a sigma but I hear that the trigger sucks, but can be fixed with a trigger job.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
IMO, I would skip on the Sigma. I was researching it awhile back and found more bad reviews than good. What attracted you to the Sigma?

Sc0tt

It was a recommendation by the guy at the gun store (its what he carries). I am not a fan of glock.

I am looking to get something better than the high point I already have. Originally I was going to get a plinker, (Walther p22) but I need something better to carry at work so that money is going on a down payment towards something else.

Dreamer

My FIRST bit of advice would be, since you live in NC, you need to go to your Sheriff and make sure you have your PPP cleared and in hand BEFORE you put any money down on the pistol...

I recently had a family friend call me for advice because he put a handgun on layaway BEFORE he had his permit in hand, only to find--one week before the layaway period was going to expire--that the county he was in had all sort of impossible-to-meet requirements for PPPs. That required all sort of hoop-jumping to get squared away. Luckily the pawn shop he had the gun on layaway at was VERY cooperative, and extended his layaway period until he could get his PPP all squared away.

Sc0tt

My FIRST bit of advice would be, since you live in NC, you need to go to your Sheriff and make sure you have your PPP cleared and in hand BEFORE you put any money down on the pistol...

I recently had a family friend call me for advice because he put a handgun on layaway BEFORE he had his permit in hand, only to find--one week before the layaway period was going to expire--that the county he was in had all sort of impossible-to-meet requirements for PPPs. That required all sort of hoop-jumping to get squared away. Luckily the pawn shop he had the gun on layaway at was VERY cooperative, and extended his layaway period until he could get his PPP all squared away.

I always have a PPP at my house. Each time I purchase I go get another one.

j4l

Ditto on the Beras, and-if you're planning on going full-sized, why limit oneself to a 9mm>?? Plent of affordable .45's out there now. Same shop should have a dozen or more to check out.

09jisaac

I know this might be a little late but skip on the sigma. I LOVE all of smiths that I have shot (and I have shot more than my share of them) but a sigma 9mm. It just didn't feel right and my shot placement was always off (not saying this wasn't my fault).

Sc0tt

On the bright side of purchasing the SW SD9 It looks identical to the M&P so it makes it incrediably hard to get a charge of GATTP when your carrying the same thing as the LEO.

Sc0tt

Going Armed Terror to the Public

The argument is, that the offence of riding or going about armed with unusual and dangerous weapons, to the terror of the people

http://www.guncite.com/court/state/25nc418.html

Its hard to prove your carrying an Unusual and dangerous wepon when your carrying close to the same model the local LEO is carryin

I had a M&P and A FS9 in the millitary I loved that M&P like a child