• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tell me about NICS

Sc0tt

I am a bit confused about NICS. I know its an instant background check that determins ones eleigibilty to purchase a firearm. But when does a dealer run one. From what I heard to today if you bring in your purchase permit from the SO then that is all they need and they dont have to run your though NICS.
Is that correct?
When would a dealer have to run you?
What happens if it comes back delayed or denied?
What happens if it comes back delayed or denied and you all ready own a firearm?

These are purely hypotheticals. I have no reason to believe I would be denied the sale of a firearm I just like to be in the know.

Carry24/7

Not sure when/why the dealer would run you in NC unless they do it if your buying a long gun. If you have a PPP from the SO they did the check. If you have a CCW you don't need a PPP, you can go into a dealer fill out the paper work and show your CCW and walk out. And with your CCW your not limited to how many you can buy at one time. So if you buy enough in the 5 years the CCW will pay for it's self.

Last edited:

Sc0tt

So if you buy enough in the 5 years the CCW will pay for it's self.

:confused:Seriously?:confused:

A purchase permit in Randolph County (I don't know about other counties) is $5.oo.

CHP
Class ----------------$50.oo (If you find a cheap one)
Application -----------$80.oo
Fingerprinting --------$10.oo
Mental Health Check--$10.00
For a total of -------$150.oo

PPP / PP
Single Permit ----$5.oo

So If you buy 30 firearms (150.oo / 5.oo = 30) then a CHP would pay for its self.
I dont know anyone who buys 30 guns in 5 years? (About 6 guns a year?). Maybe there are a few here?

BTW: CCW is Carrying a Concealed Weapon and is what the police charge people with. CHP is concealed handgun permit. I use to use the terms interchangeably and kept getting yelled at for it.

Last edited:

Carry24/7

A purchase permit in Randolph County (I don't know about other counties) is $5.oo.

CHP
Class ----------------$50.oo (If you find a cheap one)
Application -----------$80.oo
Fingerprinting --------$10.oo
Mental Health Check--$10.00
For a total of -------$150.oo

PPP / PP
Single Permit ----$5.oo

So If you buy 30 firearms (150.oo / 5.oo = 30) then a CHP would pay for its self.
I dont know anyone who buys 30 guns in 5 years? (About 6 guns a year?). Maybe there are a few here?

BTW: CCW is Carrying a Concealed Weapon and is what the police charge people with. CHP is concealed handgun permit. I use to use the terms interchangeably and kept getting yelled at for it.

Sorry I keep forgetting about the class. My company paid for all of that. I only had to pay for the permit. So I guess it really wouldn't pay for itself but it is nice to not have to go get a PPP whenever I find a nice deal. And I see a lot of people on here that call it CCW, CHP, CWP, ect. We all know what they mean.

Last edited:

Sc0tt

Sorry I keep forgetting about the class. My company paid for all of that.

Im Jealous :lol:

I was saving up to get a FL non resident CHP but all that money is now going toward a new gun.

Carry24/7

Yeah I have that problem. I want so much but when I get money up for what I want I find a good deal on a new toy and spent it on that instead of what the money was for.

aadvark

scOtt:

The Federal NICS [National Instant Criminal System] Compares Federal Law Disqualifiers as against The Individual Seeking to Purchase a Firearm to Determine Eligibility under Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(g).

Under Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(t) Holders of BATFE [Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives] Approved Permits are EXEMPT from The National Instant Criminal System Check under The Following Schudule: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/brady-law/permit-chart.html

Some States have Point-of-Contacts for Certain Purchses: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/brady-law/state-lists.html

*** Point-of-Contacts are Normally Reserved to The State Police, where such Systems Exist. ***

Under NICS, which is Federal Law, The Prohibitors are: 1. Convicted Felons, except for Misdemeanants which Receive a State Sentence of Equal to or Less than 2 Years, 2. Fugitives from Justice, 3. Persons are Illegally in The United States of America, 4. Persons who are Drug Addicts or Illegal Drug Users in The Last Year, 4. 5. Persons who have been Dishonorably Discharged from any Branch of The United States Military or any State Militia, 6. Persons who have Renounced Their Citizenship with The United States of America, 7. Persons who have been Decalred to be Mentally Ill or Mentally Incompentant to Stand Trial, or 8. Persons who have been Convicted of The Misdemeanor of Domestic Violence under Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(8) or (g)(9).

Some States have Additional Disqualifiers, however; NOT all States do. Usally Drunkards and Violent Misdemeants are Normally Disqualified, but that is NOT The Case in Every State.

Any Person in Possession of a Federally Exempt NICS-Exempt Permit are Exclusded from The NICS at The-Point-of-Sale Transaction, but NOT in Every Case, as State Law can be more Stringent than Federal Law.

Sc0tt

In randolph they give you a pice of paper that you take to Daymark services and they sign off on it saying your not nukkin futs. You have to pay Daymark 10 dollars as a processing fee.
This is why I am going to get my CHP from FL

Carry24/7

In randolph they give you a pice of paper that you take to Daymark services and they sign off on it saying your not nukkin futs. You have to pay Daymark 10 dollars as a processing fee.

So your getting it from FL because your nukking futs? J/K But that is kinda how it reads.

1245A Defender

well,,,

you should get your resident north carolina permit!!
it has some of the best coverage of any permit in the US!
a florida or utah wont even get you into south carolina!
check handgunlawus to check reciprocity between the states,
and states that dont honor non resident permits, you will see!

Sc0tt

So your getting it from FL because your nukking futs? J/K But that is kinda how it reads.

LOL No Im getting my FL CHP becuase I refuse to support the RCSO in any way shape or form. I further refuse to undergo any of the extra requirments they have tacked on.

Orginally I was just not going to get a CHP but I think it would be nice to have that option.

FLEMTP

Im Jealous :lol:

I was saving up to get a FL non resident CHP but all that money is now going toward a new gun.

I just moved here from florida..

There is no such thing as a FL Non resident CWP (concealed weapons permit, covers much more than handguns)

There is simply a FL CWP. There is no change or differentiation between a permit issued to a resident vs a non resident. They dont even put your address on it anymore.

The only thing they do different if you're a non florida resident is they make you submit a print card when you renew your permit. If you're a florida resident, then you dont even need prints for a renewal

Last edited:

Sc0tt

I just moved here from florida..

There is no such thing as a FL Non resident CWP (concealed weapons permit, covers much more than handguns)

There is simply a FL CWP. There is no change or differentiation between a permit issued to a resident vs a non resident. They dont even put your address on it anymore.

The only thing they do different if you're a non florida resident is they make you submit a print card when you renew your permit. If you're a florida resident, then you dont even need prints for a renewal

Oh Sweet. Thats the last time I take that instructors word, I though it was like that becuase when I downloaded the application there were no choices for anything.