• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senator Kedzie prefers Constitutional Carry

paul@paul-fisher.com

I got this today.
April 15, 2011

Thank you for contacting me to express your strong support of legislation to repeal the prohibition on carrying a firearm while concealed. I am supportive of this effort, but must clarify a few things on this matter.

First, this issue has not been forgotten nor ignored by the Legislature this session, but I do understand the anxiety that some feel other legislative matters have been given priority over this one. As the Majority party, our immediate priority this session was – and continues to be – any and all efforts to stabilize the economy and create jobs. That has manifested itself in several forms, including, but not limited to, the recently-enacted budget repair bill, the enactment of a number of economic development initiatives, and the proposed 2011-13 state budget. Each of those items – particularly the budget repair bill – has consumed a great deal of time for lawmakers in both Houses.

Second, and as you may know, there will more than likely be differing versions of concealed carry legislation coming from both Houses of the Legislature. Some will advocate for a complete repeal of the prohibition – commonly referred to as ‘constitutional carry’ – while others may offer conditions to carrying a firearm while concealed, such as a permits, training standards, and various prohibitions on where a firearm may be carried. My support will fall to the constitutional carry legislation when it is eventually introduced. But bear in mind, if that bill fails to garner the support needed to advance in the Senate, I will lend my support to whichever version can obtain the necessary 17 Senate votes in which to pass.

Finally, I am committed to seeing this effort through, but am not willing to sacrifice the good for the perfect. Wisconsin has an opportunity to become the 49th state to adopt some type of concealed carry legislation this year, and it would be unfortunate if we, as lawmakers, were to end this session with absolutely nothing to show in this regard. I can assure you, I understand the sentiment of “rights” versus “privileges” on this issue, which is why I am supporting the constitutional carry legislation. But again, if we do not have the necessary votes in the Senate for that legislation to carry the day, I cannot abandon my historical support for concealed carry legislation.

At this time, I ask for your patience and continued support, as I am confident legislation will soon be offered and hearings will be held in the very near future. Again, thank you for taking time to contact me on this matter of mutual concern; I do appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Neal Kedzie

State Senator

11th Senate District

This is the 1st time I have heard him offer support for Constitutional Carry. In the past he has mentioned permits.

We are heading in the right direction. :banana:

XDFDE45

Nice letter
eusa_clap.gif
! Looks like he actually took the time to respond with something that was well though out instead of the usual canned response you get back, if you even GET a response.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

This is GREAT news...

Now we have to keep up and intensify the push for Constitutional Carry over Concealed Carry because...

He came right out and said that if there is not enough backing for Constitutional Carry then he would vote for whatever bill HAD enough backing to pass, as in better to pass something than nothing...meaning Concealed with PERMITS.....

At the very least it is another confirmation that a bill will get introduced this year...

I for one am going to (continue) to reference Constitutional over Cencealed Carry in all my contacts to my representitives as well as other high ranking officials. I will also start referencing Neal Kedzie of the 11th Senate District's willingness to vote yes on a Constitutional Carry Bill

Thanks again for such usefull information....

Outdoorsman1

safcrkr

Great letter. As far as I'm concerned, he has the perfect attitude. If the votes are there for constitutional carry, go for it. If they're not, then at the very least get a good shall-issue bill. Once some kind of CC is in place, and the sky doesn't fall, then we can move on to an AZ/AK type law.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Nice letter
eusa_clap.gif
! Looks like he actually took the time to respond with something that was well though out instead of the usual canned response you get back, if you even GET a response.

I write and/or call him at least once a week. Usually one letter with just praise/support of other stuff he's working on with a one sentence 'repeal 941.23' and then usually another Constitutional Carry specific email offering articles or quotes about other states implementation of Constitutional Carry or issues I see if they don't fix the GFSZ, for example.