5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd recomend it (why?)

0 0%
  • No, dont get it (Why?)

5 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomend me a gun?!?!?!

Exclamation Recomend me a gun?!?!?!

I was going to put down on a SW Sigma 9mm Full size Kit (Came with 2 mags + holder / holster / hard-case / speed loader) for around $600. The store had a 10 month layaway but I am planning to pay it off in 2-4 months. I have been reading online and not many people have anything good to say about these guns. I heard about jamming problems, Trigger problems, ect, ect.
    So, Would you recommend this gun and at this price. If not What would you recommend.

I am looking for something:
    PRICE: $300- $600(MAX)
    Cal: 9 MM
    Full or compact dosent matter but no pocket guns
    Dependable
    Not as heavy as the high point I carry now.

(Just so you know. Not a fan of Glock)
    Last edited by Sc0tt; 04-15-2011 at 11:19 PM.
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."

LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice

Is that the SW9VE?

And they want to charge you HOW MUCH!!????

If you are talking about the "DIA" Disaster Kit, http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/43735

$450.00 when they get it in stock. The handgun itself is under $300.00.
    Last edited by wrightme; 04-15-2011 at 11:33 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    Is that the SW9VE?

And they want to charge you HOW MUCH!!????
    Yes it is, I was just looking at other sites and that is FREAKIN high. The full size alone at that store is 550.oo the kit is around 580.oo
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."

LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice

Quote Originally Posted by Sc0tt View Post
    Yes it is, I was just looking at other sites and that is FREAKIN high. The full size alone at that store is 550.oo the kit is around 580.oo
    The 10-rounder CA special is in stock at buds under $300.00
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

i love my gun

Beretta 90-two. I see them on sale for $550.00 w/ 2 17 round clips case and cleaning kit
    Can't figure out how to paste a link on this new phone but Davidson's in Prescott AZ has em on sale for $550 with a lifetime warranty till the end of the month
    Preferred weapon is a GBU-10 PavewayII but it's a little heavy for me
    For OC I have a Beretta 90-two Italian 9mm. Mi piace molto
    Beretta pre warnings 92fs stainless steel Italian 9mm
    Beretta 92fs compact USA 9mm
    Beretta Cougar 8000 9mm
    For fun it's an LMT AR-15 w/defender 2000 lower and a slide fire stock

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    16 rd wondernine at $353.000
    http://eastcoastgunsales.com/product.php?ID=29463

And the full kit, in stock at $450.00
    http://centermassguns.com/catalog/pr...w.php?page=122
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Go to as many gun ranges and stores as you can, and handle as many guns as you can. For $500-600, you're gonna cut out some high end stuff, especially if you're looking to buy new. However, you've got a great deal to choose from, and if you're willing to buy used, you've got an even larger selection. Once you've found what you really like, look around for a good price.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

I'll suggest the M&P. It's the Sigma on steroids- an improved version that added many features. Still under $600, too.

The Sigma was S&W entry into the composite pistol market years ago. The first versions sucked, frankly. They've improved somewhat since then but still are the "economy" version of their composite pistols. Basically it's their stripped down, cheap gun. The M&P lifted what was good about them, stole a few more ideas from other companies, included the manly rail for lights or lasers, and added the changeable backstraps which resulted in a far superior gun.

You can get them with or without manual safeties, and in pretty much whatever configuration you could think of.
    Last edited by rotorhead; 04-16-2011 at 01:55 AM.

xd9

I was going to put down on a SW Sigma 9mm Full size Kit (Came with 2 mags + holder / holster / hard-case / speed loader) for around $600. The store had a 10 month layaway but I am planning to pay it off in 2-4 months. I have been reading online and not many people have anything good to say about these guns. I heard about jamming problems, Trigger problems, ect, ect.
    So, Would you recommend this gun and at this price. If not What would you recommend.

Dependable

Any 1911 mil spec pistol.

Dependable

S&W SD9 Try Gallery of Guns.

Get what fits your hands best (if you can try it out) I personally shoot a Smith and Wesson M&P and FREAKING LOVE it. Fits great, shoots great, and i'm just a S&W fan to boot, lol. If you liked the sigma defintley at least go check out an M&P.

It seemed like you wanted some accesories as well. S&W has a "Carry and Range Kit" available that gives you a lot of nice extras in your price range.

Check them out here: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...1_757781_image

Here is the 9mm one on that page: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

But if you just want the gun, the going rate for a new M&P is around $460 give or take little. Try Buds gun shop, or if you want to wait until the end of the month there is a nice gun show at the state fair grounds in Raleigh where you can get your hands on A TON of different guns all at once and get some more ideas. But personally from what it seems like you want, i'd go for the M&P 9mm range and carry kit.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...cPath/21_39_71
    Last edited by Maverick9110e; 04-16-2011 at 10:05 AM.

mattwestm
    DO NOT get that Sigma. I've heard nothing but bad things about them. I would try to find a good used Glock 19. You can probably get one for $400 (brand new is about $500), maybe a bit more. If you want a brand new gun, I bought my XD-9 online for about $425 with the transfer fee and everything. I've also heard REALLY good things about the Bersa 9mms. If you've never used gunbroker before, I would give it a try. It can save you a lot of money. One of my local gun shops wanted about 500 for an XD-9, so I saved about $75 buying online.

Seller I got my XD-9 from:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=225352484

This is the best advice I can offer you: go to a shop and hold a few guns. See what fits best in your hand. I went with the XD because the Glock grip angle is weird to me.
    Last edited by mattwestm; 04-16-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    S&W SD9 Try Gallery of Guns.

I just put this babby on layaway. I will have it by the end of the week

Good recomendation. I spoke with the store rep for a good 30 mins and I was sold. Its same as the sigma with imporved trigger (10 lbs vs 13 on the sigma) improved rail system, ect ect
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

I used https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx to recently purchase a Springfield XDM Compact in 9mm. Including transfers and taxes I paid $619. It feels real nice in my hands and shoots real sweet and accurate with minimal recoil. I thought it would be harder to control with the short grip when using the 13 round magazine because my pinkie has nowhere to rest but I was wrong. Have absolutely no complaints with this firearm

Add one more vote for the M&P. I love it. Accurate and durable. The range in GSO has one and one of the instructors there told me they didn't clean it for a year and didn't have any problems. I've put thousands of rounds through mine with not one jam.

I had a sigma and to say the trigger pull was HEAVY is a gross understatement. I'd stay away.

I just put this babby on layaway. I will have it by the end of the week

Good recomendation. I spoke with the store rep for a good 30 mins and I was sold. Its same as the sigma with imporved trigger (10 lbs vs 13 on the sigma) improved rail system, ect ect
    Congrats. I really like mine. I have an M&P as well, and its nice too.... but for some reason the SD9 just feels better and shoots better for me.

I have a sigma but upgrading to an m&p .45 in the near future but the trigger pull is exaggerated.

It's really not that hard, although it is a somewhat long and 2 stage pull.

Field striping is dead simple with no tools required and I got mine in february from buds for 289.00 it's gone up a bit to 343 since then, glad I bought early.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!

+1 on the M&P, multiple sizes for the grips, not too pricey, and backed by a lifetime warranty, can't go wrong. I'll also agree that is way too much for a Sigma 9ve. I bought one for $425 about 2 years ago (it wasn't the disaster kit, but even after I bought a holster and a extra mag it was still a lot cheaper). Regarding the Sigma 9ve jamming, I put over 1,000 rounds through mine and the only stovepipe I had was when it was a baby, since then it's been smooth sailing.

I picked her up today. The magazine is a pain in the ass to load. I could not get that last round in (I will probably buy a speed loader) I am looking to break her in next week as well as buy some ammo and a retention paddle holster.

I can understand the 10 lb trigger pull now that I have it. It has no external saftey so I like having that much pressure on the trigger to fire. This si the first firearm I have owned that does not have an external safety and is capable of firing with a mag removed.
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

The magazines will get easier to load eventually. Just have to work them in.

you probably already know this

But it bears repeating.

The magazine is a pain in the ass to load. I could not get that last round in (I will probably buy a speed loader).
    My 17 double stack 9mm Beretta is a bear also but once you get the hang of it it goes fast and easy.

I am a righty so modify accordingly if you are a lefty.

Grab the magazine with your left hand the way you would the grip of a pistol.
    Seat the base of the magazine on a firm surface
    With your right hand place the cartridge on the magazine with your right thumb on the cartridge.
    Place your left thumb directly over the right thumb.
    Push down with both thumbs while sliding back.

If you practice that it gets easy. I see folks at the range stumbling around trying to load and they just have the geometry and physics of the handling all wrong.
    Preferred weapon is a GBU-10 PavewayII but it's a little heavy for me
    For OC I have a Beretta 90-two Italian 9mm. Mi piace molto
    Beretta pre warnings 92fs stainless steel Italian 9mm
    Beretta 92fs compact USA 9mm
    Beretta Cougar 8000 9mm
    For fun it's an LMT AR-15 w/defender 2000 lower and a slide fire stock

Quote Originally Posted by CDT COX View Post
    xd9
    I recently shot an XD45 for the first time and I just couldn't miss, quite frankly. I usually have a learning curve when I pick up something new but those things are SHOOTERS, and within your price range. Definitely became my new favorite for that type of action. I think a lot of it was the buttery trigger; longer than my 1911 of course, but very linear with no bumps.

Or you should just join the cool guy club like me and get a 1911.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith45acp View Post
    Or you should just join the cool guy club like me and get a 1911.
    Nope - newbies shouldn't carry 1911s, especially not ones with wear blemishes and/or in a holster with an aged patina. Makes them look entirely too knowledgeable and skilled - they should have to earn their bones first. ...
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I wanted the 1911 to be my second pistol after my XD45. but being a military aviator the standard issue when you go over the pond is the Beretta M9. Might have to go with the 92, unless I can find myself an M9. Better be good at shootin' that puppy if it's going to be my only source of defense before I can find a AK lying on the ground after punching out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast