• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Case Question

junkie

I know this is not the place to get official legal advice, but I was wondering if there is an exception to the unloaded and cased law on private property? I was wondering if I am going hunting and I am driving to the other side of my property, do I need my shotgun unloaded and cased? There are times as well when I am working around the property and driving on the fourwheeler. What is the correct procedure. My land is in the middle of nowhere, so I am not worried about anyone seeing me, but I am just curious on what is required. Thanks.

littlewolf

I know this is not the place to get official legal advice, but I was wondering if there is an exception to the unloaded and cased law on private property? I was wondering if I am going hunting and I am driving to the other side of my property, do I need my shotgun unloaded and cased? There are times as well when I am working around the property and driving on the fourwheeler. What is the correct procedure. My land is in the middle of nowhere, so I am not worried about anyone seeing me, but I am just curious on what is required. Thanks.

Just what the law says ,unloaded and encased. Stupid ain't it ? I didn,t say this but I do the same thing,let em catch me.
Just think of a poor guy in a wheel chair, he can't carry either ! you can carry while pulling a coaster wagon but have to unload and encase it if you put it in the wagon ! We really need to ask the DNR the real purpose of these stupid laws.

kawisixer01

Senate Bill 222 was introduced to allow UNCASED UNLOADED carry on private land last year, but I cannot find a link to prove it passed. I want to say that it did.
"http://legis.wisconsin.gov/2009/data/SB-222.pdf"
Also a news story "http://www.wuwm.com/programs/news/view_news.php?articleid=5782"

Last edited:
M

McX

for the special, and beloved, i modify 2 latch gun cases to be rapid open. there are 3 in existence, i have one. makes it nice for vehicle transport on the seat next to you.

grinner

Hey Cop, do you have a warrant? No? Then get off my land.

As a practical matter, it doesn't matter what's in my vehicle. They're not searching it on my property without a warrant. Any sweatshirt or something to cover up the gun on the passenger seat will suffice.

junkie

Hey Cop, do you have a warrant? No? Then get off my land.

As a practical matter, it doesn't matter what's in my vehicle. They're not searching it on my property without a warrant. Any sweatshirt or something to cover up the gun on the passenger seat will suffice.

I am in complete agreement with you on this. I have nothing to hide, but no one is going through my stuff without a warrant. I was wondering because I carry around my revolver around on a chest rig when I am up there for the wolves. It would be tough to deny having a gun when I am on an ATV with that in plain view.

MKEgal

Under a strict plain reading of the law, no, it's not legal.
However...
You're on your own property (ATV), on your own property (land), and not committing a crime.
Further, obeying the law puts you in danger (from wolves, & a ND).
It'd be hard for a judge to get a conviction to stick.

And don't anyone be under any misconception here:
the lack of a warrant will NOT prevent LEOs from entering your car or home,
searching anything, anywhere,
nor from taking anything they find.

It just prevents them from using as evidence anything they find which might be interpreted as being against any law, or which they think you should not have...
and they've let themselves in for a civil rights lawsuit.
DAMHIK. :mad:

(Anyone know a good civil rights lawyer in the Milwaukee area?)

Last edited:

GlockRDH

Thats a sticky area...you CAN get a DUI while sitting in your car on private property...which i think is kinda scary that they have that much power...as for the ATV situation, isnt that a DNR issue, they tend the have a bit to much power as it is.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Senate Bill 222 was introduced to allow UNCASED UNLOADED carry on private land last year, but I cannot find a link to prove it passed. I want to say that it did.
"http://legis.wisconsin.gov/2009/data/SB-222.pdf"
Also a news story "http://www.wuwm.com/programs/news/view_news.php?articleid=5782"

It did NOT pass, because they failed to add a definition for the word "concealed." As of right now today, unloaded and completely encased in a closed case specifically designed for a firearm.

LR Yote 312

Transport unloaded and cased....Them Game Wardens been gettin awful sneaky.

LR Yote

Interceptor_Knight

According to State Statute, you are in violation if you are sitting on a hay wagon which is not attached to a tractor unless your firearm is legally "encased" as it meets the definition of a "vehicle"...

Interceptor_Knight

Under a strict plain reading of the law, no, it's not legal.
However...
You're on your own property (ATV), on your own property (land), and not committing a crime.
Further, obeying the law puts you in danger (from wolves, & a ND).
It'd be hard for a judge to get a conviction to stick.
You can find the .pdf on the DNR web site from past years where judges had no problem getting a conviction to stick.
Besides, I haven't heard of wolves running down hunters on ATVs and attacking them lately...:cool:

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Actual case up here;

A guy had purchased a towable stand that telescopes up to a height of about 10-12 feet tall, it has scissor jacks on the corners of the trailer to make it more stable. He was issued a ticket for "Hunting from a vehicle" while using that stand.
He towed it behind his ATV, disconnected it from his ATV, but because it had wheels on it even though it was stationary, he got tagged for a violation.
The DNR said if he would have removed the wheels he would not have been in violation of how they interpreted the law.
I sure hope the judge through that case out, but knowing a certain judge in this area, I doubt it. The judge I am referring to would find you guilty of jaywalking if a blind cop said he saw you doing it, even if you proved you were not in the same country.

Good ole chip, he is a real piece of work