• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Near Elementary School? (On The Sidewalk)

str3ngthz

Hello everyone,

Today marks the 6th time I've open carried. . . with no problems! However, I've avoided carrying anywhere near the elementary school thats about a mile from my house, so I've been walking alternative routes. Should I continue avoiding open carrying near that school or is it legal for me to OC on the sidewalk? Or is the sidewalk considered that school's property as well? I'd walk on the other side of the street to put as much distance as possible between me and the school.

Please help!

JesseL

The federal Gun Free School Zones Act prohibits carry within 1000 feet of a school, with a few exceptions including one for people licensed by the state to carry a firearm.

That's important to know.

On the other hand it's virtually unheard of for police in AZ to enforce the GFSZA. I've seen literally hundreds of people a t a time open carrying within 1000' feet of a school, with plenty of police around and nobody giving it a second thought.

aadvark

str3ngthz:

No State is under Obligation to Enforce Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q), as such Terms therein are Defined under Federal Laws 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(25) AND 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(26), as such Terms Enumerate Elementary and Secondary Public Schools as 'Schools' and The 1000 Foot 'Buffer Zone' which Occupies them, less: Motor Vehicles, Unloaded and Encased Firearms, Private Property, and when Hunting with Permission from The School when Transversing School Property.

In Fact, The ONLY State in The Far-Western United States that has a 1000 Foot Law is California.

Arizona does not Enforce The Federal Law Enumerated above, however; Arizona does have a Ban of Knowingly Possesing Firearms in Schools under Arizona Revised Statute 13-3102A12.

Under Federal Law, any Person who has a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Qualified Exempt Permit may Carry a Firearm into a School Safety Zone, or in a School, so as long as The Provisions of Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B)(ii) are Applicable as against The Person.

Arizona Revised Statute 13-3102C4 seems to Provide an Exemption to The Application of The State Law and The Federal Law Mentioned above, as The Permit Issued under Arizona Revised Statute 13-3112 seems to Qualify under: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/brady-law/permit-chart.html

Furthermore, under that Application, Arizona Permits also work an Exception to The Provisions of Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(t), as that Statute Pertains to: National Instant Criminal System 'on-Site' Verification, Multiple Handgun Sales, and 3-Day Waiting Periods for such Handgun Sales.

aadvark

Last edited: