• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dumb, dumb, just dumb

chiefjason

What do we always harp on? Know the laws! Why? So you don't do this! After looking through a few reports it does appear that he was open carrying. Though no one is saying it for sure.

He was arrested after Alexander County 9-1-1 took a call from Stony Point Elementary School at approximately 3 p.m. yesterday regarding a man who had entered the school with a weapon at his side.

http://www.whky.com/news.asp?mode=detail&articleID=16628

The sheriff says a staff member saw a .45 caliber pistol in a holster on Chapman's hip.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Parent-charged-with-bringing-gun-to-childs-school-119921974.html

Dreamer

Interesting how they charged him with violating the Federal GFSZ AND GAttTotP...

Hope he has a good lawyer, because from what little in in the story, he wasn't anywhere even CLOSE to meeting the requirements for a GAttTotP violation. This one should be an easy out, but the Felony GFSZ violation is pretty much a "keeper" no matter what...

Idiot... He should have read up on the law.

Not only will he lose his 2A rights, but he won't be able to vote, and he may very well lose custody of his child, even if he somehow manages to stay out of prison...

Aknazer

If he gets a good enough lawyer he might be able to challenge the constitutionality of the gfz law. Given that he wasn't committing any other crime it might be a good case to challenge the law.

Greg Bradburn

If he gets a good enough lawyer he might be able to challenge the constitutionality of the gfz law. Given that he wasn't committing any other crime it might be a good case to challenge the law.

Let's hope so. It's a shame that a guy simply talking with his child's teacher can suddenly become a felon just for "bearing arms" which is a Constitutionally guaranteed right.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Anyone know how many "GF"SZ cases the feds have persecuted... er, prosecuted?
Last number I read was 0.
It's a threat, it's something to take off the table in a plea deal, but I've never heard of it being prosecuted, even when people have committed other crimes along the way.
If someone can point me at fedgov info that says different, I'm perfectly willing to be enlightened.

brboyer

Anyone know how many "GF"SZ cases the feds have persecuted... er, prosecuted?
Last number I read was 0.
It's a threat, it's something to take off the table in a plea deal, but I've never heard of it being prosecuted, even when people have committed other crimes along the way.
If someone can point me at fedgov info that says different, I'm perfectly willing to be enlightened.

Actually it's around 8-10...most have been appealed but still lost.

Most have been as add-on to other serious felony cases, or resulted from unrelated felony investigations. None that I'm aware of came about as a result of a traffic stop or other such simple non-violent/non drug related crime/investigation.

Sc0tt

The first responding Officer arrived in less than four minutes

:D less than 4 mins meaning somthing like 3 mins and 55 secs

Arnt all schools suppose to have recource officers now?

PT111

:D less than 4 mins meaning somthing like 3 mins and 55 secs

Arnt all schools suppose to have recource officers now?

Around here most high schools and middle schools have them but not elementary schools. It depends almost totally on the budget. Sadly it is getting to the point that many of the high schools need a full SWAT team rather than just an SRO.

M

mattwestm

Around here most high schools and middle schools have them but not elementary schools. It depends almost totally on the budget. Sadly it is getting to the point that many of the high schools need a full SWAT team rather than just an SRO.

It's bad enough that schools already need an officer. When my parents went to school, there was no officer and you would be perfectly fine taking your pocket knife to school. What happened in the last 20-30 years people?!?!?! My guess is the effect of technology on kids and a lack of parenting skills.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
These land mine prohibited places might be considered malicious. Who thinks of this stuff? It's a gotcha for people with common-sense, who would never consider "What? I can't carry there? Why not? Who would even think about it?"

papa bear

agree, how do you not about GFSZ (or as i call them "fish barrels). wish the report had given more details. like what was he there to do. most of the time you go to talk to the teacher during class time it's usually not a good thing. i do go and eat lunch with my granddaughter quite a bit. it is a pain in the but, to park outside the zone and walk to the cafeteria. of course with my empty holster. it has actually brought on some conversations

i was reading on another post about the zone. how far out is it ? is it a 1000' ?

TrailRunner

I'm not surprised. When little kids can be suspended for carrying nail clippers etc., this sort of reaction to an adult carrying a firearm is to be expected.

Of course, I still think it's shocking how morally and philosophically crippled the average sheeple has become. At some point they really need to figure out that "laws" and "rules" don't protect people.. People protect people.