• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you've ever served... Combat-related stress injuries are REAL

since9

Campaign Veteran
Article.

"Survivor's guilt, depression and other emotional struggles" are common side effects of combat.

I was shot at a couple of times, and a mortar missed my crew by about 50 feet while we were sleeping. I lost four friends over a twenty-year career. That's nothing compared to what some members of the military go through while in Iraq and Afghanistan. Yet a neighbor who commands a company in the Army told me shortly after his second deployment that he loses more soldiers in the first three months after a deployment than he loses during the fifteen months while deployed.

Combat-related stress injuries are REAL, folks. If you ever feel like you want or need to chat about it, just PM me. I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for friends who walked along side me from time to time, including one friend I met on OpenCarry.org.

You aren't alone! We're all in this together, and together, we'll pull through. I won't BS you, and I won't sugar-coat things. But I WILL listen.

- Mugs

25sierraman

I always try to stress to my soldiers that it's ok for them to get help. A few of them have already come to me for guidance. It's up to good leaders to make sure they receive the help that they need.

stuckinchico

A way i found to help me deal and stay level is running. Self forgiveness and hand to hand and boxing. It help get rid of nightmare for the most part. I only recommend this because i hate head docs and i dont like talking to others about it. just a friendly suggestion

Gunslinger

It took a lot of guys taking their own lives after 'nam for the government to wise up. Remember Agent Orange? Another "don't worry about it" story of government BS and whogas about combat vets.

zack991

+ 1

Never underestimate the power of having someone to talk to.

Agreed, I had four guys who did commit suicide and left their family's behind. People must keep their friends close and must not ignore the warning sighs. I will say this though, suicide is a selfish act and I have no respect for any solider who try's to commit suicide or those who ended their life. Why, I have seen the horrible destruction they leave behind and the ludicrous idea their family is better off with out them. I have PTSD and I have seeked out help with my problems because there is no excuse that you could not find help or your family is better off with out you. It makes me so very upset that soldiers use that excuse or that no one else understands what they are gong through, it all comes down to how you handle it. Soldiers who are having issues are nothing knew, your battles are there for you in combat why would you not count on them for when life hits your with a traumatic event.

The horrible carnage that they leave behind with their families torn apart is something I hope no one else has to ever see, there is no excuse for it. The signs are very easy to see and if your battle is having noticeable problems and you do nothing shame on you. We all have sat through countless death by power point briefs on the subject and there is simply no reason for not getting help, it a coward’s way out that hurts so many people. Those who have taken their life I refused to attend their funeral, it sickens me the way it destroys a family. Death in combat is bad enough but to survive hell and to be one of the lucky ones to make it back to your families. Yet to not honor the fallen who gave their life so you could make it home to your family to just end it, just because you refused to seek help. Sorry to rant on but I have had to see so many family's think is something they did wrong and that its somehow their fault their loved one took their own life.

Last edited:

slowfiveoh

I have made my condition known before, and am very happy to see others share their perspectives. I clammed up about it for years, and years, then finally realized that it was doing nobody any good whatsoever for me to pretend like everything is ok (Suck it up and drive on) all the time.

Good to see others sharing their conditions and experiences.

impulse

The last thing vets want to do is to talk to a shrink. And be put on a list that will eventually cause them, to lose the right to bear arms. So drinking is the next best thing.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
They are absolutely real! I treat them every day. I hate to say it, but a lot of soldiers have problems because of a lack of understanding and support within their own units. In some units, as soon as a guy starts to show signs of stress, he's labeled a malingerer and designated the company s***bag. From there, it's downhill all the way. I have actually had the experience of calling a company commander and asking him to just give the guy six weeks of slack so I can work intensively with him and get him back in the fight only to have the CO turn around and ramp up the harassment against the soldier. The experience has really soured my attitude about the "Army strong! Hooah! Look out for your battle buddy!" BS. To be honest, my experience has been that the officer or senior NCO who really cares about his troops and wants what's best for them is very much the exception to the rule.

If any of you reading this are Army officers or NCOs who really do care about your troops, it's not my intent to offend you, but I call it the way I see it. If you are the guys that I described above -- up yours and I hope you lose your position of responsibility.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
The last thing vets want to do is to talk to a shrink. And be put on a list that will eventually cause them, to lose the right to bear arms. So drinking is the next best thing.

That's actually a myth. The only way you can lose your right to own firearms is if you are adjudicated as "mentally defective." I can write all over the chart that you're bats*** crazy, but unless a judge says it, you can still legally own firearms.

Unfortunately, this myth keeps many vets from getting the help they need.

stuckinchico

That's actually a myth. The only way you can lose your right to own firearms is if you are adjudicated as "mentally defective." I can write all over the chart that you're bats*** crazy, but unless a judge says it, you can still legally own firearms.

Unfortunately, this myth keeps many vets from getting the help they need.

Actually they use this in CA to deny you purchasing firearms. then you have to go through ATF to get another approval

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I will say this though, suicide is a selfish act and I have no respect for any solider who try's to commit suicide or those who ended their life.

Your observations are valid and I genuinely respect your feelings. I would, however, ask you to consider that someone who takes his/her own life is really not rational and can't be held responsible for the carnage he/she leaves behind. They do it because they can't see a way out of the crushing guilt, fear, and sadness which oppresses them. Sometimes they don't see the way because they aren't capable of seeing themselves as someone who needs help. Sometimes it's a matter of pride. But pride and independence are qualities that are essential to a good warrior. It's a distressing paradox that the people who are the best warriors are often the ones who are least likely to get help when they need it. The only way to overcome that is for people whom they respect -- other men and women who have "been there and done that" -- to keep telling them that we care about them and that they don't lose our respect by asking for help.

slowfiveoh

Can you point me to some documentation of this? I'm not doubting your word; I'm just hoping you have been misinformed.

Myth.

Your record doesn't get put into NICS unless you are adjudicated mentally defective.

I have purchased several firearms in California while having a service connection for PTSD.

Seeing a shrink is not a bad thing. It helps sometimes, but so do the support groups. I prefer individual counseling to be blunt, but that's not for everybody.

I put the beer down a while ago. It doesn't help.

25sierraman

My Neighbor works for the VA and I had asked him about my medical records and who would be able to view them. They are sealed. The investigators that check me out for my Clearance don't even have access to those. The only way your mental health comes up is if you have some sort of misconduct relating to it. Just talking to a doctor won't hurt you or your career. I can't stress this enough to my soldiers.

stuckinchico

Can you point me to some documentation of this? I'm not doubting your word; I'm just hoping you have been misinformed.

I have a fellow marine that went through counseling for PTSD when he went to get a new firearm he was flagged. This took a while to straighten out

I see where you guys have had better luck i dont know if it was just one doctor or what happened but i do remember the headaches that were associated with it

Last edited:

VetteFreakC5

That and I have seen several friends put out with "personality disorders" after being diagnosed with PTSD. Here in NC, we have to grant the local county sherrif permission to pull our mental health records to get purchase permits and CWP's.

I cannot tell you the number of senior leaders that will still hold it against the soldier if they go to mental health....Hell, I am currently appealing an NCOER because what was written on it was the result of the medication the shrink put me on.

So yea, I cannot in all honesty recomend anyone to go get the help they need....The system needs to change

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I have a fellow marine that went through counseling for PTSD when he went to get a new firearm he was flagged. This took a while to straighten out

I see where you guys have had better luck i dont know if it was just one doctor or what happened but i do remember the headaches that were associated with it

It's not supposed to happen, which is not to say that it doesn't sometimes happen but that would definitely be an exception. States don't just randomly go around asking about somebody's mental health records and medical/mental health records are covered under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act which makes it a felony punishable by five years in prison and/or a $25,000 fine to release records without proper authorization. You'd better believe that if my mental health records make out into public domain, I won't rest until I see the responsible party punished.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
That and I have seen several friends put out with "personality disorders" after being diagnosed with PTSD. Here in NC, we have to grant the local county sherrif permission to pull our mental health records to get purchase permits and CWP's.

I cannot tell you the number of senior leaders that will still hold it against the soldier if they go to mental health....Hell, I am currently appealing an NCOER because what was written on it was the result of the medication the shrink put me on.

So yea, I cannot in all honesty recommend anyone to go get the help they need....The system needs to change

Yes, I believe that; I've seen it myself. Nevertheless, there are places like Vet Centers where people can go for help and nobody in the command has to know. It shouldn't be that way. However, once somebody is out of the service, there's no good reason not to go for help.