• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you've ever served... Combat-related stress injuries are REAL

zack991

Yes, I believe that; I've seen it myself. Nevertheless, there are places like Vet Centers where people can go for help and nobody in the command has to know. It shouldn't be that way. However, once somebody is out of the service, there's no good reason not to go for help.

Well they could also speak to their units Chaplin who wont say anything to the unit unless something illegal has taken place.

Your observations are valid and I genuinely respect your feelings. I would, however, ask you to consider that someone who takes his/her own life is really not rational and can't be held responsible for the carnage he/she leaves behind. They do it because they can't see a way out of the crushing guilt, fear, and sadness which oppresses them.

I can fully understand and I have personally seen people who are not rationally thinking, that's why their battles need to keep a close eye on friends who are acting unusual. No matter what has put them in crushing guilt, fear, and or sadness, they still took their own life in the end. The signs of a person who is having issues is not hard to see and friends simply must not take no for an answer, they need to be blunt. If a person who is refusing help even after friends and family have made an every effort to get them professional help, they have either have made the choice to kill themselves no matter what or they are not wanting to be helped.

Last edited:

rickc1962

When I came back from Granada in `83, ( it was only three weeks, but people tried to kill me and I had to kill people. ) I was very withdrawn, staid by myself, took lots of drugs, and drank like a fish. I was only 20, and most of my friends were out with their girlfriends on Saturday night, but not me unless I was stoned. I'd like to say I've gotten over it, and for the most part I've put it behind me and just said " it was my job,and I did what was needed." I no longer do drugs, and my alcohol consumption is about a bottle of wine a month, but I will never forget looking at someone and pulling the trigger, and hope I never have to do it again, but I would not choke if put in a shooting situation.

I still spend most of my time alone, I'm on wife # 4, sit facing doors, and wake I up to the sound of a cat passing my window. I don't trust people, and watch everyone around me.

I've told my wife when I can no longer function in life, I will just go into the mountains where I belong, to live out my life, ( I have always thought I was born a 100 years to late, and would not have any problem with it, ) and when I'm too old for life, and its time to die, I'll go and sit down next to a bear cave, it will be a good day to die.

I can't say if shrinks help or not, but I do think anyone whose ever seen combat will have their demons to deal with. And each of us will need to do what is best for our individual situation.

Gunslinger

When I came back from Granada in `83, ( it was only three weeks, but people tried to kill me and I had to kill people. ) I was very withdrawn, staid by myself, took lots of drugs, and drank like a fish. I was only 20, and most of my friends were out with their girlfriends on Saturday night, but not me unless I was stoned. I'd like to say I've gotten over it, and for the most part I've put it behind me and just said " it was my job,and I did what was needed." I no longer do drugs, and my alcohol consumption is about a bottle of wine a month, but I will never forget looking at someone and pulling the trigger, and hope I never have to do it again, but I would not choke if put in a shooting situation.

I still spend most of my time alone, I'm on wife # 4, sit facing doors, and wake I up to the sound of a cat passing my window. I don't trust people, and watch everyone around me.

I've told my wife when I can no longer function in life, I will just go into the mountains where I belong, to live out my life, ( I have always thought I was born a 100 years to late, and would not have any problem with it, ) and when I'm too old for life, and its time to die, I'll go and sit down next to a bear cave, it will be a good day to die.

I can't say if shrinks help or not, but I do think anyone whose ever seen combat will have their demons to deal with. And each of us will need to do what is best for our individual situation.

Don't give up. You need help and it is available. At least try the VA or a veterans' outreach. I wish you the best.

rickc1962

Don't give up. You need help and it is available. At least try the VA or a veterans' outreach. I wish you the best.

Thank You, Gunslinger; This was not to make anyone fell sorry for me, I am just one, and there are many on this forum and even more outside of here that have went thru much more than me, and I would salute each and everyone of them for their sacrifices. I am 48 now, and I enjoy life, I do all tho live and work as far from civilization as my wife will let me, I've spent years prospecting, cowboying, driving trucks, and anything else that allows me to be alone, I seem to like it that way.

As I wrote my previous post it did dawn on me why I think the way I do about life. I am a very proud American and would fight for this Country any day, I will fight for the oppressed here in America, for the innocent around me, and for the property I've worked hard for.

I have been reading this thread, and was not going to comment, because some things I just choose not to talk about, but the reason I did was to let people know there is no shame in getting help, whether its from a Dr., your Pastor or Priest, or maybe just a good friend or family member.

As I wright this my 20 year old step son, sits in his room and plays video games about war and killing people, I complain to his mother, she says, " don't you remember when you was 20, " I say, " YES I WAS IN A FORION LAND BEING SHOT AT!, " I just don't understand today's youth, oh well.

slowfiveoh

Thank You, Gunslinger; This was not to make anyone fell sorry for me, I am just one, and there are many on this forum and even more outside of here that have went thru much more than me, and I would salute each and everyone of them for their sacrifices. I am 48 now, and I enjoy life, I do all tho live and work as far from civilization as my wife will let me, I've spent years prospecting, cowboying, driving trucks, and anything else that allows me to be alone, I seem to like it that way.

As I wrote my previous post it did dawn on me why I think the way I do about life. I am a very proud American and would fight for this Country any day, I will fight for the oppressed here in America, for the innocent around me, and for the property I've worked hard for.

I have been reading this thread, and was not going to comment, because some things I just choose not to talk about, but the reason I did was to let people know there is no shame in getting help, whether its from a Dr., your Pastor or Priest, or maybe just a good friend or family member.

As I wright this my 20 year old step son, sits in his room and plays video games about war and killing people, I complain to his mother, she says, " don't you remember when you was 20, " I say, " YES I WAS IN A FORION LAND BEING SHOT AT!, " I just don't understand today's youth, oh well.

You and I sound like two birds of a feather.

Just stay in your isolated neck of the woods and I will stay in mine. Am I right?

:lol:

since9

Campaign Veteran
It's not supposed to happen, which is not to say that it doesn't sometimes happen but that would definitely be an exception. States don't just randomly go around asking about somebody's mental health records and medical/mental health records are covered under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act which makes it a felony punishable by five years in prison and/or a $25,000 fine to release records without proper authorization. You'd better believe that if my mental health records make out into public domain, I won't rest until I see the responsible party punished.

I know a friend who's been asked this, as well. It's not that anyone is releasing records without proper authorization. It's that the authorities are saying that if a person applies for a permit, part of the application process requires them to release their own records, voluntarily.

Or not. But if not, you're denied a permit for failing to provide the required/requested documentation.

Don't have that problem here in Colorado. Some states, however, it's not quite so straightforward.