Thread: Trans-Canada travel

Trans-Canada travel

I am new to this site so please bear with me. If I am posting a topic not appropriate to this site then I apologize in advance. I am considering moving to Alaska and have always wanted to make the drive from Washington state through Canada and into Alaska. Does anybody know whether the transport of my personal firearms through Canada is allowed? Or can somebody point me in the right direction to obtain this information? I am a PA resident and have a LTCF. I believe in both open and concealed cary, whichever the individual is most comfortable with. I have been reading the posts and am impressed with OpenCarry.org.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon4 View Post
    I am new to this site so please bear with me. If I am posting a topic not appropriate to this site then I apologize in advance. I am considering moving to Alaska and have always wanted to make the drive from Washington state through Canada and into Alaska. Does anybody know whether the transport of my personal firearms through Canada is allowed? Or can somebody point me in the right direction to obtain this information? I am a PA resident and have a LTCF. I believe in both open and concealed cary, whichever the individual is most comfortable with. I have been reading the posts and am impressed with OpenCarry.org.
    This is a good question, so don't sweat it. I don't know the answer, but someone here surely will. Although, we probably won't like the answer.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome aboard defcon4.

This subject has come up before. It can be done under some circumstances.

See the thread below for a good starter in your research:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...da#post1369811
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

If I were you, I'd ship them to Alaska rather than go through the hassle. Here is a good resource to add to your research:

http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/
    Last edited by buster81; 04-17-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Possible, yes, with a lot of preplanning. You will need at least 6 months. The panda web page (link in the previous post) has a lot of good information.

another thing you might consider. Every firearm you transport through Canada will be registered with the RCMP.

The RCMP shares information with US LEA'S.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Trans-Canada travel

I want to express my thanks to all of the responders to my post. If I decide to make the move to Alaska I will just avoid any chance of problems in Canada by taking the Alaskan Marine Ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan. Again, Thanks everybody. What a great site.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon4 View Post
    I want to express my thanks to all of the responders to my post. If I decide to make the move to Alaska I will just avoid any chance of problems in Canada by taking the Alaskan Marine Ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan. Again, Thanks everybody. What a great site.
    This site really is good for getting questions answered!