Thread: seen in va - Sign coming off union bridge rd just from hwy 57 near Bassett, VA

seen in va - Sign coming off union bridge rd just from hwy 57 near Bassett, VA

seen on the road to Ferrum, VA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vanogunsign.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	5708

Click on pic to enlarge - Moderator.
    Last edited by papa bear; 04-17-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    seen on the road to Farum, VA

Views:	44 
ID:	5710
    Where was this picture taken?

seen on the road to Farum, VA

Views:	59 
ID:	5709
    Illegal sign? lol

Where does the bend in the road go to? private ?

That dent on the firearm sign, is that a bullet hole?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 04-17-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Founder's Club Member
    Seeing that Ferrum College is right in Ferrum, VA I'd guess that these are signs on a private access road to the college. Take note that the pictures seems to show an access road only one lane wide so it's probably some access road for the college which forbids firearms.

* Nice to see you back around these parts papa bear!
    Last edited by jmelvin; 04-17-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Can that photo be any smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Seeing that Ferrum College is right in Ferrum, VA I'd guess that these are signs on a private access road to the college. Take note that the pictures seems to show an access road only one lane wide so it's probably some access road for the college which forbids firearms.
    had to go and look up the road name and/or # . i am pretty sure it is Ferrum road, coming off union bridge rd just from hwy 57 near Bassett, VA.. been a couple of months since i took this picture. i was up there last week and will probably do some work there next week. if i get the chance i'll try to get the road numbers

bridge and creek around the curve. road goes until it hits franklin rd. it is a state road. i think the creek does feed into the Fairystone lake
    the pictures were bigger in the post, i don't know what happened
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

here is a thumbnail link that you can make bigger

[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/heyrakes/vanogunsign.jpg[/IMG
    Last edited by papa bear; 04-17-2011 at 05:55 PM.

- unknown

Founder's Club Member
    Found it on Google Maps using the Road View. This is Union Bridge Road (State Route 623 headed northbound) just as you describe just beyond Woody Lane at about the 3 o'clock position in the curve in the road that arcs about 180 degrees. This portion of road appears to be in the Mines Branch Recreation Area head north into the Ryans Branch Recreation Area.

See the link:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=12,51,,0,3.24
    Last edited by jmelvin; 04-17-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Founder's Club Member
    Appears to be a part of Fairy Stone State Park and Philpott Lake.

* I'll try to contact the state park operators later in the week to see just what they they're trying to pull here.
    fairystone@dcr.virginia.gov is the contact address given for Fairy Stone State Park.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 04-17-2011 at 07:49 PM.

It appears to be a new sign, too.
    Too bad someone wasted all that taxpayer money on an illegal sign.
    What were they thinking???
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

never would have thought of using google. i had mentioned about Philpot having the signs to Philip Van Cleve. and he said that Philpot was ran by the Army Corp of Engineers. and could ban firearms

- unknown

if it is...

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    That dent on the firearm sign, is that a bullet hole?
    I think he's pulling it. He needs to get some more range time. (depending on how far away he was...)
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

Founder's Club Member
    never would have thought of using google. i had mentioned about Philpot having the signs to Philip Van Cleve. and he said that Philpot was ran by the Army Corp of Engineers. and could ban firearms
    You're right: http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/philpo...egulations.htm

What I'd like to know is if these posted rules apply to the path leading down to the lake (the path seen beside the road) or if they're trying to indicate that firearms may not be carried across the state route?

Here's the link to 36 CFR Part 327 as referenced in the link above.
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.1.3&idno=36
    Last edited by jmelvin; 04-18-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    You're right: http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/philpo...egulations.htm

What I'd like to know is if these posted rules apply to the path leading down to the lake (the path seen beside the road) or if they're trying to indicate that firearms may not be carried across the state route?

Here's the link to 36 CFR Part 327 as referenced in the link above.
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.1.3&idno=36
    yeah, i was wondering about that when i took the picture. did the road right of way over rule. if not where did the rule start or end. rode through to the Philpot dam, and seen a lot of signs there.

- unknown

seen this one in Critz, Va.. good thing i didn't have to turn that way. had some syringes in my tool box, made me worry. again, this is on a state road

- unknown

Founder's Club Member
    I saw one like that near the airport in Roanoke last summer when I met you at the VCDL picnic. Oddly enough it was gone the next time I went by a month or so later. I wonder under what authority they can make it a gun free zone? Even state law at least allows for carry in the car in some circumstances.

Posting a sign in the public right of way without approval from VDOT is a class-one misdemeanor.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Posting a sign in the public right of way without approval from VDOT is a class-one misdemeanor.
    I assume your response is in regard to the "Gun Free / Drug Free" sign?

By the way, what is your take on the signs posted along the path and roadway at Philpott Lake. Does the CFR have applicability to the roadway (State Route 623 of which the bridge across the lake is a part)?

i saw one at Patrick county high school on hwy 8 yesterday. still wondering if the right of way supersedes (right word?) the zone. what happens if you get pulled in or after you go thru the zone

- unknown

Founder's Club Member
    I tried finding the Patrick County code of ordinances online to see if they have some old firearms laws on the books that clearly are not legal due to the General Assembly making clear that handgun laws would be controlled at the state level, however I was unable to find any code accept for some references to the building code and similar.