• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

seen in va - Sign coming off union bridge rd just from hwy 57 near Bassett, VA

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Seeing that Ferrum College is right in Ferrum, VA I'd guess that these are signs on a private access road to the college. Take note that the pictures seems to show an access road only one lane wide so it's probably some access road for the college which forbids firearms.

* Nice to see you back around these parts papa bear!

Last edited:

papa bear

Seeing that Ferrum College is right in Ferrum, VA I'd guess that these are signs on a private access road to the college. Take note that the pictures seems to show an access road only one lane wide so it's probably some access road for the college which forbids firearms.

had to go and look up the road name and/or # . i am pretty sure it is Ferrum road, coming off union bridge rd just from hwy 57 near Bassett, VA.. been a couple of months since i took this picture. i was up there last week and will probably do some work there next week. if i get the chance i'll try to get the road numbers

bridge and creek around the curve. road goes until it hits franklin rd. it is a state road. i think the creek does feed into the Fairystone lake
the pictures were bigger in the post, i don't know what happened

papa bear

here is a thumbnail link that you can make bigger

U]

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Found it on Google Maps using the Road View. This is Union Bridge Road (State Route 623 headed northbound) just as you describe just beyond Woody Lane at about the 3 o'clock position in the curve in the road that arcs about 180 degrees. This portion of road appears to be in the Mines Branch Recreation Area head north into the Ryans Branch Recreation Area.

See the link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...noid=e41MFe0T2X0EgsAOnVWTNQ&cbp=12,51,,0,3.24

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Appears to be a part of Fairy Stone State Park and Philpott Lake.

* I'll try to contact the state park operators later in the week to see just what they they're trying to pull here.
fairystone@dcr.virginia.gov is the contact address given for Fairy Stone State Park.

Last edited:

papa bear

never would have thought of using google. i had mentioned about Philpot having the signs to Philip Van Cleve. and he said that Philpot was ran by the Army Corp of Engineers. and could ban firearms

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
never would have thought of using google. i had mentioned about Philpot having the signs to Philip Van Cleve. and he said that Philpot was ran by the Army Corp of Engineers. and could ban firearms

You're right: http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/philpott/policies_and_regulations.htm

What I'd like to know is if these posted rules apply to the path leading down to the lake (the path seen beside the road) or if they're trying to indicate that firearms may not be carried across the state route?

Here's the link to 36 CFR Part 327 as referenced in the link above.
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...&rgn=div5&view=text&node=36:3.0.1.1.3&idno=36

Last edited:

papa bear

You're right: http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/philpott/policies_and_regulations.htm

What I'd like to know is if these posted rules apply to the path leading down to the lake (the path seen beside the road) or if they're trying to indicate that firearms may not be carried across the state route?

Here's the link to 36 CFR Part 327 as referenced in the link above.
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...&rgn=div5&view=text&node=36:3.0.1.1.3&idno=36

yeah, i was wondering about that when i took the picture. did the road right of way over rule. if not where did the rule start or end.:eek: rode through to the Philpot dam, and seen a lot of signs there.

papa bear

seen this one in Critz, Va.. good thing i didn't have to turn that way. had some syringes in my tool box, made me worry. again, this is on a state road

incritzva.jpg

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I saw one like that near the airport in Roanoke last summer when I met you at the VCDL picnic. Oddly enough it was gone the next time I went by a month or so later. I wonder under what authority they can make it a gun free zone? Even state law at least allows for carry in the car in some circumstances.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Posting a sign in the public right of way without approval from VDOT is a class-one misdemeanor.

I assume your response is in regard to the "Gun Free / Drug Free" sign?

By the way, what is your take on the signs posted along the path and roadway at Philpott Lake. Does the CFR have applicability to the roadway (State Route 623 of which the bridge across the lake is a part)?

papa bear

i saw one at Patrick county high school on hwy 8 yesterday. still wondering if the right of way supersedes (right word?) the zone. what happens if you get pulled in or after you go thru the zone :eek:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I tried finding the Patrick County code of ordinances online to see if they have some old firearms laws on the books that clearly are not legal due to the General Assembly making clear that handgun laws would be controlled at the state level, however I was unable to find any code accept for some references to the building code and similar.