• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another NC LEO's child dies in tragic gun accident

Dreamer

These incidents are tragic, and we should all pray for these parents, and the community for their loss. I don't post this as any sort of cop-bashing, or to use it for political reasons, but it DOES illustrate that EVERYONE--including police--needs to be aware of proper firearm handling and storage protocols. Just because you have a badge, it does not give you or your family an exemption from the "4 Rules."

http://www.witn.com/news/headlines/...m_Self-Inflicted_Gunshot_Wound_120001399.html

So, in the last 3 years, this makes what, 2 children who have shot themselves with a firearm in the home--with a firearm owned by an LEO parent...

(previous incident, in Jacksonville, 2009):
http://www.jdnews.com/articles/child-69945-sheriff-shooting.html

NC LEAs are building a pretty dismal track record concerning the handling and storage of firearms in their "off duty" lives. But these same LEAs in NC are saying that CHP-holding CITIZENS are too irresponsible to carry in restaurants, parks and pools... :banghead:

Sc0tt

NC LEAs are building a pretty dismal track record concerning the handling and storage of firearms in their "off duty" lives. But these same LEAs in NC are saying that CHP-holding CITIZENS are too irresponsible to carry in restaurants, parks and pools...

+1

These people live thier life under the assumption that since thier job is to enforece the rules that they are in some way better, when it is aperntly obvious that they are the same as every gun owning american.

Carry at a pool. LMAO

Dreamer

Carry at a pool. LMAO

Actually, when I was very little, my mom would tke us to the local community pool, and she would watch us, but not swim. I assume they don't mean that there are actually adults who are going to carry H&K USPs in Seal Team thigh rigs while swimming, but that parents who have CHPs and want to be actively engaged in watching their children (as opposed to just dumping them off for several hours as a form of cheap babysitting) somehow can't be trusted to CC, because apparently the fact that there are children present makes people with lawfully owned and carried handguns mysteriously transform into raving murderous lunatics...

Motofixxer

You should be ashamed of yourself for posting this. This guy's kid is dead, have a little class.

So we should stop reporting any story where someone dies? Sorry but that's not realistic. In my opinion the OP just used it as a friendly reminder that we all need to be careful. If I was that parent. I wouldn't have a problem with the story getting linked to inform others. I would use it as a reminder myself, to caution others. That we always need to keep our head together and pay attention. And that accidents can happen to anyone. The goal is to minimize them. People do see those stories and relate to them. If that story serves to remind of safety and save one accident. Then it was worth the post.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
You should be ashamed of yourself for posting this. This guy's kid is dead, have a little class.

Class? The people who are shooting their own kids are telling us we're not good enough. Class was disposed of a long time ago. All that remains are the facts. Deal with it.

Smith45acp

Get off it bro.

The OP was very clear in both context and tone that this was not intended to in any way celebrate the tragedy of this incident as part of an anti-LEO agenda.

Everything he said is perfectly true. Sheriff's offices and police departments often join the anti ranks during commentary regarding proposed legislation like restaurant carry. I'm too lazy to search for quotes right now but they abound.

I couldn't feel any sorrier for this family. But this is the kind of news we need to hear since a real world basic gun safety reminder is never one too many to pay attention to.

Carry24/7

This is a very sad situation and I feel sorry for all that are involved. But it's a very hard lesson that WE ALL can learn from. No matter how long any of us have been shooting or if we think we know everything there is about firearms. ( I learn from this site every day. ) We should take this lesson to heart and learn from it. Let the justice system judge him. I could not imagine what I'd do if one of my weapons killed a kid. God bless this young life.

bajadudes

Thank you for posting this

My heart an prayers go out to the family and friends of this guy. I am not on this planet to judge.

As someone with a 4 year old in the house this post made me run through my mental checklist, double and triple check my thinking and vow once again to be ever vigilant ALWAYS, no short cuts, not just for a second, no just this once, no he's not here right now...nothing...ever...no excuse to not be as careful and mindful as possible.

Thank you very much for a reminder of how complacency can lead to tragedy.

I prefer learning from others mistakes and I can't do that unless i hear about them.

God bless that poor soul and his family.

Dizalot

It's not the posting of a storythat crosses the line it's this comment
NC LEAs are building a pretty dismal track record concerning the handling and storage of firearms in their "off duty" lives. But these same LEAs in NC are saying that CHP-holding CITIZENS are too irresponsible to carry in restaurants, parks and pools...

It's classless and childish, but if I have to explain that, I guess I am wasting my time.

Badger Johnson

So I guess we shouldn't blame the LEO for failing to lock up his guns?

Guess we shouldn't investigate just who pulled the trigger?

Guess we shouldn't make value judgments and give opinions on a message board. (iow, not like anyone is yelling 'they don't think we're responsible with HGs' from the street corners).

Last edited:

Kivuli

So I guess we shouldn't blame the LEO for failing to lock up his guns?

Guess we shouldn't investigate just who pulled the trigger?

Guess we shouldn't make value judgments and give opinions on a message board. (iow, not like anyone is yelling 'they don't think we're responsible with HGs' from the street corners).

Absolutely blame the guy for leaving his sidearm where children could get to it.

What does it for me isn't the aforementioned post, rather this one:

These people live thier life under the assumption that since thier job is to enforece the rules that they are in some way better, when it is aperntly obvious that they are the same as every gun owning american.

THAT... is a step too far in my opinion.